Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Floyd Mayweather has shown us nothing we haven't seen before in a boxing ring.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by K-Nan View Post
    LMFAO

But in all seriousness- nobody ever claimed he was an innovator. He was just pretty much perfect at just about every aspect of the sport in his prime. The Diego Corrales fight is still one of the most flawless wins against a P4P champion I've ever seen. Most of the Floyd hate comes from his adaptation of style around the time he moved to 147. But if you're a fan of the sweet science it shouldn't bother you much. Although I can see how his "salesmanship" would get under the skin of some.
    If you think the Floyd vs Diego Corrales fight is one of the most flawless wins against a p4p champion you've ever seen then you haven't watched a boxing match pre-90's. There's literally dozens of flawless performances and against much better challengers than Corrales who is B class at best. Corrales wouldn't get anywhere near a world title in better eras. Carlos Ortiz, Ken Buchanan, Ismael Laguna and Esteban Dejesus would absolutely destroy/out skill the likes of Corrales and Castillo with complete ease.
    The level difference can't be denied.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Enerate View Post
      If you think the Floyd vs Diego Corrales fight is one of the most flawless wins against a p4p champion you've ever seen then you haven't watched a boxing match pre-90's. There's literally dozens of flawless performances and against much better challengers than Corrales who is B class at best. Corrales wouldn't get anywhere near a world title in better eras. Carlos Ortiz, Ken Buchanan, Ismael Laguna and Esteban Dejesus would absolutely destroyed the likes of Corrales and Castillo with complete ease.
      I've seen these guys in action. You shouldn't make assumptions and just name drop fighters and expect to fool everybody.

Comment

This so called boxing genius has invented nothing. Not the roll, not the shell, not the pull counter and on and on. These moves were on display way way before Floyd was born.

Floyd's a master of most but creator of none.

Geniuses invent new things. Amazing things.

Enlighten me Flo mo's what are these great things this amazing boxing genius Floyd Mayweather invented?

I fail to see such innovations.
        uhhhhh...no ***** sherlock....who said he invented anything?

he had god given talent and worked hard, showed dedication.

Comment

Originally posted by Dosumpthin View Post
          That explains it then. You are a historian online.

Im an astronaut that has completed 22 missions and have been certified by google, wiki, aol (dial up) and yahoo.
          I challenge you to a quize on historic boxing.

There are 3 stick on top 3 ATG's. Who are they? The order does not matter.

Who are the top 3 greatest Welsh boxers of all time? Again the order doesn't matter.

Who are the top 2 greatest Scottish boxers of all time? Order matters in this one.

Google will not give you these answers.

If you don't provide a proper answer then you are a coward like Floyd Mayweather.

Comment

I doubt you have kid.

I hope you have though. Boxing needs more historians to educate the fanboys.

I'm just off watching Jose Napoles vs Curtis Cokes II and earlier watched highlights of the brilliant Carlos Ortiz who imo would beat Floyd at 135.

Yesterday I watched **** loads of ATG middleweight Freddie Steele and then went on to watch some fights of the ferocious Iron chinned fighting machine Kid Gavilan AKA 'The Cuban Hawk'

My all time favourite fighter/boxer is the brilliant Ken Buchanan who imo would out box Pac easily and give Floyd hell at lightweight. If you are familiar with Ken you'll know he was a beautiful boxer with great feet and ATG jab variety. Ken was also Iron chinned and had a fighting spirit to match his toughness and boxing ability.

Who have you watched today Mr Historian?

today?

nobody . it's 3:30 eastern, and i work. a lot.

and again at you acting liek you need to give me a boxrec history lesson on kenny buchanan or kid gavilan. how old are you? remembering your posts prior to my bscene retirement, you never struck me as very old. how much can a kid really know about boxing history? and does he have the tenure of being around the sport to contextualize what he's read or seen from recorded fights?

i'm almost 30, and i got into boxing history before i got into contemporary boxing. i started my fight collection in the 90's [lost it when my parent's house was hit by lightning, a story i've told in several sections on the forum.] you sound like some kid who wants to drop a couple of names to try and impress.

Comment

Originally posted by K-Nan View Post
              I've seen these guys in action. You shouldn't make assumptions and just name drop fighters and expect to fool everybody.
              So you've seen those fighters in action have you?

When?

What fights did you watch of them?

Describe their fighting styles?

What in your opinion are their best wins and worst loses?

How would Floyd deal with those outstanding 'REAL' fighters in a fantasy match.

Take your time, Kid.

You'll need it

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                today?

nobody . it's 3:30 eastern, and i work. a lot.

and again at you acting liek you need to give me a boxrec history lesson on kenny buchanan or kid gavilan. how old are you? remembering your posts prior to my bscene retirement, you never struck me as very old. how much can a kid really know about boxing history? and does he have the tenure of being around the sport to contextualize what he's read or seen from recorded fights?

i'm almost 30, and i got into boxing history before i got into contemporary boxing. i started my fight collection in the 90's [lost it when my parent's house was hit by lightning, a story i've told in several sections on the forum.] you sound like some kid who wants to drop a couple of names to try and impress.
                Whoa we thought you died

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
                  uhhhhh...no ***** sherlock....who said he invented anything?

he had god given talent and worked hard, showed dedication.
                  Cool.

I except that.

Comment

Originally posted by NaijaD View Post
                    One of the best troll threads ever lol... His forum name should be a dead giveaway too
                    I've done better lol

Comment

If you think the Floyd vs Diego Corrales fight is one of the most flawless wins against a p4p champion you've ever seen then you haven't watched a boxing match pre-90's. There's literally dozens of flawless performances and against much better challengers than Corrales who is B class at best. Corrales wouldn't get anywhere near a world title in better eras. Carlos Ortiz, Ken Buchanan, Ismael Laguna and Esteban Dejesus would absolutely destroy/out skill the likes of Corrales and Castillo with complete ease.
                      esteban de jesus never won a title himself and came up short in most of his big fights

you are trying really hard to minimize a fighters accomplishments while downplaying his opponents

Diego Corrales was an A level talent.....he wasnt a legend or an all time great, but for his era he was a great fighter and only lost to the best of his era.

A level is championship level.....he dominated b level guys like Derrick Gainer who also won titles, Robert Garcia

but went back and forth with A level guys like himself. When you can regularly beat A level guys, thats when ATG becomes part of the conversation

Corrales lost twice to Casamayor a two weight champion, JLC two time lightweight champion, PBF the best of the generation, and big azz Clottey who dwarfed him

I know you dont like floyd, but God rest his soul, Corrales was an A level fighter and was p4p to most people from the late 1990s until he lost to Casamayor the last time. thats over 5 years.

Corrales would compete with these guys and beat a few

you are just throwing names around

Comment

Working...
                      X