Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Floyd Mayweather has shown us nothing we haven't seen before in a boxing ring.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GTTofAK View Post
    Uh James Toney. Toney was better at Froids style than Froid. He simply couldn't stay in shape and fought stiffer competition. Froid couldn't be as out of shape as Toney and still win.
    he must not have been because floyd was more successful than toney. Also I never knew fighters got discredited for being dedicated to their craft. Toney rested on his natural talent, floyd had natural talent and still worked hard. thats the difference between someone like a zab judah and mayweather. physically same talent level, whereas one is just mentally stronger n works harder.

Comment

Originally posted by nubianpiye View Post
      What did Michael Jordan invent that hadn't been done before? or Tiger Woods?

tiger woods was the first golfer to train, eat, live like a real pro athlete, from what i gather. revolutionized the sport in that sense. ever notice how a lot of those guys have big shoulders now, and that they're all quite trim?

and jordan was just a supremely gifted athlete with totally unmatched competitiveness by all accounts. never had him stick out his tounge at me, obviously, btu that's just going on the testimony of teammates, opponents, and coaches.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Enerate View Post
        No point. You'll bring up Floyds "Stats" from one of the worst era's that boxing has ever seen and try and compare them to Benitez vs Duran, Hearns etc.

You're a fanboy and nothing more and proved to be with that comment.

I'm an educated boxing historian.

no, i think floyd would get his ass whooped by leonard and hearns. robinson, too. and duran. he wouldn't even fight them in their primes. leonard and duran win on points [leonard may very well knock him out.] and robinson and hearns stop him.

he's a better purely defensive fighter than all four, however.

as for any of you being a boxing historian

i've probably seen more old fights in the last month or two than you will in your life, and i'm not a historian.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
          I don't know but hold this red k for waking up to create a tired thread under an alias

LMFAO

But in all seriousness- nobody ever claimed he was an innovator. He was just pretty much perfect at just about every aspect of the sport in his prime. The Diego Corrales fight is still one of the most flawless wins against a P4P champion I've ever seen. Most of the Floyd hate comes from his adaptation of style around the time he moved to 147. But if you're a fan of the sweet science it shouldn't bother you much. Although I can see how his "salesmanship" would get under the skin of some.

Comment

Originally posted by anonymous2.0 View Post
            I didn't know PEDs stimulated creativity.

"Brain growth hormone"?

Comment

Originally posted by K-Nan View Post
              LMFAO

But in all seriousness- nobody ever claimed he was an innovator. He was just pretty much perfect at just about every aspect of the sport in his prime. The Diego Corrales fight is still one of the most flawless wins against a P4P champion I've ever seen. Most of the Floyd hate comes from his adaptation of style around the time he moved to 147. But if you're a fan of the sweet science it shouldn't bother you much. Although I can see how his "salesmanship" would get under the skin of some.

a lot of the unwarranted floyd hate comes from race. asians supported pacquiao and detracted from floyd. blacks did the opposite. it's boxing, it's apparently unavoidable, and it is what it is.

the waratnted floyd hate, and this is obviously a product mostly of how he was advised, comes from floyd's [blatant and explicit] motivation toward his matchmaking. he was candid about being moved based on money, and not for the good of the sport. this sport, ideally, is basically a regimented series of matches to determine who the best boxers in the world are at a particular size.

i understand that boxingis a business, and i'd take the easiest path to health after boxing and money if i were managing or fighting myself. but fans resent him for his attitude toward his movement, in addition to the reaility of how he was moved.

now, i don't want to make it seem like i'm saying that floyd is entirely responsible for fights not happening, particularly when we talk about pacquiao, because both sides blatantly delayed that fight. bob the builder. floyd the drug testing champion. goldenboy and top rank. al haymon. they all made the right choice in terms of maximizing the profitablity of their assests. floyd and manny fought at inflated rates for years because of the prospect of a fight against each other. when manny was all but done, and floyd was himself well deterioated, they fought an uninspired fight.

people resent floyd for that, and they should. they should resent pacquiao for it, too.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                a lot of the unwarranted floyd hate comes from race. asians supported pacquiao and detracted from floyd. blacks did the opposite. it's boxing, it's apparently unavoidable, and it is what it is.

the waratnted floyd hate, and this is obviously a product mostly of how he was advised, comes from floyd's [blatant and explicit] motivation toward his matchmaking. he was candid about being moved based on money, and not for the good of the sport. this sport, ideally, is basically a regimented series of matches to determine who the best boxers in the world are at a particular size.

i understand that boxingis a business, and i'd take the easiest path to health after boxing and money if i were managing or fighting myself. but fans resent him for his attitude toward his movement, in addition to the reaility of how he was moved.

now, i don't want to make it seem like i'm saying that floyd is entirely responsible for fights not happening, particularly when we talk about pacquiao, because both sides blatantly delayed that fight. bob the builder. floyd the drug testing champion. goldenboy and top rank. al haymon. they all made the right choice in terms of maximizing the profitablity of their assests. floyd and manny fought at inflated rates for years because of the prospect of a fight against each other. when manny was all but done, and floyd was himself well deterioated, they fought an uninspired fight.

people resent floyd for that, and they should. they should resent pacquiao for it, too.
                As far as the race stuff goes... I don't consider those folks boxing fans. Just people who wanna get drunk on a weekend and watch somebody beat another guy up.

Floyd alone wasn't to blame for the Pacquiao delays, as you said, but he was always the most outspoken on the issue and therefore drew the most criticism for it. But really- can we place that much emphasis on Pac-May as the "blatant matchmaking" bias that he had? He fought tune up fights like every. single. champion. ever. But he was held to an insane standard so that people expected a P4P fighter every time. History so easily forgets how people were split on the DLH fight and Floyd's chances. Or how he was said to have been ducking Ricky Hatton ever since he beat Tszyu. Once those were handled, there was more faults to find. Which leads me to no other conclusion than that people just didn't like the guy. Because we're not even taking into consideration the 10+ years of non PPV championship fights against all comers before he became a household name. And it'll always be that way with a guy as polarizing as Floyd. Until he's long gone, anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Enerate View Post
                  No point. You'll bring up Floyds "Stats" from one of the worst era's that boxing has ever seen and try and compare them to Benitez vs Duran, Hearns etc.

You're a fanboy and nothing more and proved to be with that comment.

I'm an educated boxing historian.
                  That explains it then. You are a historian online.

Im an astronaut that has completed 22 missions and have been certified by google, wiki, aol (dial up) and yahoo.

Comment

One of the best troll threads ever lol... His forum name should be a dead giveaway too

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                      no, i think floyd would get his ass whooped by leonard and hearns. robinson, too. and duran. he wouldn't even fight them in their primes. leonard and duran win on points [leonard may very well knock him out.] and robinson and hearns stop him.

he's a better purely defensive fighter than all four, however.

as for any of you being a boxing historian

i've probably seen more old fights in the last month or two than you will in your life, and i'm not a historian.
                      I doubt you have kid.

I hope you have though. Boxing needs more historians to educate the fanboys.

I'm just off watching Jose Napoles vs Curtis Cokes II and earlier watched highlights of the brilliant Carlos Ortiz who imo would beat Floyd at 135.

Yesterday I watched **** loads of ATG middleweight Freddie Steele and then went on to watch some fights of the ferocious Iron chinned fighting machine Kid Gavilan AKA 'The Cuban Hawk'

My all time favourite fighter/boxer is the brilliant Ken Buchanan who imo would out box Pac easily and give Floyd hell at lightweight. If you are familiar with Ken you'll know he was a beautiful boxer with great feet and ATG jab variety. Ken was also Iron chinned and had a fighting spirit to match his toughness and boxing ability.

Who have you watched today Mr Historian?

Comment

Working...
                      X