No announcement yet.

The Mayweather "Boxing Business School"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
    Idk about this. There were less powerful promoters back then, but the top fighters had more free agency then fighters do today. I don't believe Ali had a particular promoter for crazy periods like guys do now. It was more wild wild west cuz a random guy out of prison like King could jump in the business & get Ali & Foreman to fight just by getting them to agree to the fight for $5M a piece.

I mean there is no way anything like that could happen today cuz Ali & Foreman would probably be contractually obligated to separate promoters &/or networks if they were around in this era. You'd probably need some Tyson vs Lewis type stuff to go down to get that made.
    Don King was a gangster & a killer!!!

When we gonna get a panda?

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
      Can you imagine if Ali said he won't fight Norton unless he gets 10 Million dollars?

Oh wait..
      Most of these guys, especially Floyd haters, only started watching boxing within the past five years. They aren't aware that most fighters in the past had their ludicrous demands. Sugar Ray Leonard was notorious in the 80s for his diva like demands. But his behavior worked. He only fought 40 fights and took several retirements all while ducking top contenders and still managed to be the first fighter to ever make 100 million dollars in boxing.

Comment

Find it funny that people choose to single out Floyd of all people.

When he was on his way up, he fought and rematched Castillo. There wasn't any **** about him needing to grow into the weight division.

He has been on a tremendous run when you look at the quality of his opposition. He put money first, but in order to get money he had to take on certain challenges.

His numbers show that he won't make as much money when the quality of the challenge is low. His big numbers go hand in hand with him doing more than other active fighters.

Comment

Feel as though a lot of rubbish is repeated because people don't challenge it. Name the active fighters who have fought greater challenges in their last 10 fights. I think Marquez and Cotto are the only ones.

Comment

Every single fighter who makes it to the top of the sport does the same thing. But let's ignore what it took to get them.there and act like they just arrived and started dictating who they fight and for how much. You take risks, you prove your greatness, you sell fights and what do people expect? Oh yeah, if you don't fight who we want you to fight when we want you to do it, you are a ducking coward. Same ol song. Except it's silly. Floyd zmayweather still has one of the greatest resumes on boxing within the last 20 years. He's still considered an ATG. None of these guys around today are even really in that comversation. And some of them are already in their mid 30s. So let's be real.

Comment

Originally posted by FeFist View Post
              Feel as though a lot of rubbish is repeated because people don't challenge it. Name the active fighters who have fought greater challenges in their last 10 fights. I think Marquez and Cotto are the only ones.
              The only people with a tougher resume than Floyd in their last ten fights are Cotto and Manny in my opinion. And Floyd beat both.

Comment

Can you imagine if Ali said he won't fight Norton unless he gets 10 Million dollars?

Oh wait..
                By all means provide an adequate source for this claim.

Can you imagine if Sugar Ray Robinson said "I'm too pretty to fight Charley Burley" or leaving the arena when he finds out his opponent was changed to Cocoa Kid?

But then again he's only the greatest fighter ever.
                Context.

Do you mean the exhibition that SRR was scheduled to have against another opponent? SRR was supposed to fight in an exhibition against Joe Blow, but minutes before the exhibition is scheduled to begin, they switch SRR's opponent to Cocoa Kid. Oh yeah, did I mention that SRR wouldn't even be getting paid for this exhibition?

This is far from the duck you tried to make it out to be as if SRR had known his opponent was going to be Cocoa Kid, but let his fear get the best of him and ran in fear. That wasn't the case.

Regarding Burley, I've heard conflicting information. I heard it was SRR's team that potentially didn't want Burley. Then I heard that Burley wasn't even in the same weight class as SRR making the fight non feasible. So many stories running rampant about what actually happened for you to pass it off as fact.

Originally posted by MrRolltide91 View Post
                Didn't know that

Comment

Originally posted by Johnwoo8686 View Post
                  They aren't aware that most fighters in the past had their ludicrous demands. Sugar Ray Leonard was notorious in the 80s for his diva like demands.
                  I talked about SRL in the OP.

I also talked about how the fight was finally made after Hagler conceded to 3 concessions.

You're talking about one event. How much controversy has been surrounded by FMJ's opponents that for one reason or another didn't happen over business?

And it's not just that, but when you add the excuses of "X fighter lives too far, X fighter must be their own boss, X fighter must be a PPV star, X fighter etc etc", it's crazy to compare SRL's business against Hagler to FMJ's over the course of their respective careers.

Comment

Originally posted by Tago Nang Tago View Post
                    my favorite hypocrite moment was when he was in line to fight cotto and since the fight was at 154 he tried to convince people that this was a "new" "born again" version of cotto and that technically he was undefeated since margarito cheated and pacquiao forced him at a catchweight. that was hilarious.
                    Even funnier was when he said something like " I'm fighting him at his weight, where he's comfortable and at his best, I don't drain fighters"

Then proceeds to drain Canelo those 2 pounds because he wasn't a washed up old fighter with just a name but an actual live body...

Comment

All fighters think that way. Floyd just didn't hide it. Boxing has always been about making the highest amount of money with the least amount of risk.

If the money is right, then they make the fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X