Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats Canelo's next move here

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Either Stevens or Lemieux is my guess. Maybe a Cotto rematch. He isn't fighting Golovkin anytime in the near future.

Comment

Originally posted by Caught Square View Post
      The purse bid hearing was May 24th
      That's if they aren't negotiating. WBC is very chill as long as both sides are working together.

Comment

I hear chocolito is free

Comment

It's difficult to see what he does if he doesn't sign to fight GGG next.

I felt that fight would be made for May next year. That'd still be a better call from a business perspective but reputation wise it does damage. Even if they do fight then it'll look like he ran and was then cornered.

In the mean time I don't see how he has much choice but to remain skirting the middleweight division. If he goes back down to Jr. Middle he looks like he's dropped his title and got the **** out of Dodge.

I'm gonna remain optimistic that the fight gets made for this year. Has GGG got him spooked? Whenever a fighter starts acting out of character you'd have to say that he's unsettled and Canelo has been acting out of character. But scared? Enough to avoid stepping in the ring?

When fights don't happen its usually to do with managers, promoters, and advisors convincing the fighter that it makes sense from a career and business perspective not to take the fight at that time, to stick to the plan that has been laid out for them.

Most fighters have the mindset that they can beat anyone. Even if Oscar's plan is to make the fight sometime next year or beyond I'm holding out hope that with the flak he's taking Canelo will veto him like he did with Lara and make the fight happen.

The thing is though from a negotiating perspective (despite what some seem to think) he now has less leverage for making demands. Unless he plans on not making any he's in a position where regardless of what happens around the table, the perception will be that the fight not being made is entirely on him. That's a weak negotiating position.

Let's say he takes the fight. He goes from villain to hero overnight. He's fighting the man that others won't. He's giving the sport a fight that it needs. And in the process he's treated a governing body with the contempt it deserves. One that's based in his home country at that.

Comment

I see him fighting Bradley or Garcia next. No one at 154 is lucrative enough most of them are unknown and very dangerous for him to fight. Maybe move up to 160 and try get acclimated to mw before trying to get the ggg fight again.

Comment

Good luck trying to sell his next PPV GBP! That is going to be a STRUGGLE! He can't drop the belt to not fight GGG then try to sell the fans a fight of him fighting GGG Left Over in Lemieux or some other Welterweight he never fought above 147 but have to come up to 155 for Canelo
              Last edited by sicko; 05-19-2016, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by about.thousands View Post
                Good luck finding the answer to this. I've been asking all day and nobody has given me an answer.
                LOL, yea I don't see anything here that feel like anything other than a bandaid on shark attack. I'm at a lose.

Originally posted by SplitSecond View Post
                If Alvarez doesn't fight Golovkin now, his chances of a catchweight will be nil.
                You can always fight catchweight. Idk why so many people act like catchweight is some rare thing. Plenty of cats got catchweight fights. Sure they don't happen as much in title fights, even among the Floyd's, Manny's & Sugar Ray's, but then again Canelo don't got a title anymore either.

Originally posted by Caught Square View Post
                Team Golovkin could easily wait out until the deadline to get a better split in the purse bid. Now there is no deadline so team Canelo can use these extra weeks to negotiate a better split.
                Why would Oscar wanna give them a few more weeks? Why did Oscar & Canelo rush to dropping the title? Why not offer GGG what they are gonna need to offer them 3 weeks from now & keep the title? I don't think people grasp how f#cked up dropping this title was.

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
                If he doesn't make deal a with Golovkin, either to fight him next or one or two fights down the line, the only way for Canelo to remain relevant is to go back to SWW and fight some of the top dogs in that division.

A world title challenge against Lara would do it.
                I think Canelo's is walking from a forest fire into a burning building by going to 154. I thought Lara beat him the first time & maybe he'd legitly do it the 2nd time. Then there are all the other PBC beasts out there that I think are even or worse fights for Canelo. Granted if he did this is probably not even fighting PBC guys anytime soon so who knows maybe that makes sense to them.

Originally posted by Luiz View Post
                I'm sure Bradley is waiting the call.
                LOL, although that would seem like a slightly more rich mans version of Khan so at least its not a step back from his last fight & I like him to win this too.

Originally posted by deathofaclown
                Either Stevens or Lemieux is my guess. Maybe a Cotto rematch. He isn't fighting Golovkin anytime in the near future.
                This seems like the post I most agree with. I suspect Iole was correct with his rumor last week that Canelo vs Cotto II is already agreed to at this point. I could see Lemieux or Stevens too. And no if GGG vs Canelo isn't happening in Sept. 2016 I suspect its a solid year & change away best case (Sept. 2017) & probably pushed back to 2018.

F#ck Oscar & Canelo & Golden Boy Promotions if this is correct. Oscar can never say he's trying to make the best fights again if he's making the lesser big fights, but drops the ball on making GGG vs Canelo in September.
                Last edited by Eff Pandas; 05-19-2016, 02:01 PM.

Comment

It would be a shame if he ducked GGG as is looking likely after a career built so far on avoiding nobody. I think a LOT of boxing fans would lose respect for him.

Having said that, he'll still be a box office draw and it may work out for the better career wise. I mean, he's not going to beat GGG is he, even as good as he is. He could lose badly which could hurt his career - although a close or valiant loss could make his star brighter so...

Just get it made!! Take a leaf from Andre Ward's book Canelo

Comment

Originally posted by cork View Post
                    I see him fighting Bradley or Garcia next.
                    Danny Garcia? There is no way Danny is taking that fight.

I like Danny, he's a skilled cat, but he's no fan of risk taking & I openly speculate he's got less love for the game of boxing then Marcos Maidana (who I also like & think is a skilled cat, but is for sure in boxing for money & virtually nothing else).

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                      Danny Garcia? There is no way Danny is taking that fight.

I like Danny, he's a skilled cat, but he's no fan of risk taking & I openly speculate he's got less love for the game of boxing then Marcos Maidana (who I also like & think is a skilled cat, but is for sure in boxing for money & virtually nothing else).
                      Pretty sure anyone gonna tOe a fight with canelo with the amount of money he brings. I can see Crawford would take.that fight for a canelo payday.

Comment

Working...
                      X