Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
    Then don't send amateurs.

Send your pros.
    Exactly, send amateurs to World Boxing Championships which are held every 2 years by same organization(AIBA).

Comment

Seems a little harsh, but I agree with the principle of the decision.

Comment

Originally posted by deathofaclown View Post
        Yeah but i mean in terms of letting pro's fight amateurs. Amateurs competing is not the problem, it's always been that way and thrived in the past. There has to be better ways than letting pro's fight.
        When so many sports have pros at the Olympics its bound to happen or there won't be any boxing in the Olympics. Either or is bound to happen its just a question of when.

And I honestly don't think the WBC or anyone else with power in boxing has problems with this REALLY. What they got problems with is AIBA. If the WBC was running this there'd be pros in the Olympics right now. If Top Rank could get some of there lesser known fighters go to the Olympics to potentially win a medal & increase the number of people who knew them they'd love it.

Its obviously a different sport to some degree so I don't even see why it'd need to count towards a pro's official record, but it'd be much more interesting to watch a bunch of name guys fight every 4 years even if the fights aren't 12 round pro fights.

Comment

Did letting nba players in Olympics ruin high school, ncaa, aau basketball?

Let the golden gloves be for ams and young uns.

Comment

How about a 2 years drug ban for drug cheats? All organisations no excuses!

Comment

pro boxers had their chance to win olympic gold they should have took it then instead of trying to take someone elses chance, boxing as a whole gains nothing with pros in the olympics, instead the pinnacle of the amateur system is lost and pros now have title that is held for 4 years no matter how many times they lose going completely against the principle of how world titles work in boxing

Comment

Not many people would necessarily agree with me, but i'd like to see how pros fare against the amateurs.
                First, to give amateur boxing more exposure(and rightfully so) since it has, in some instances been rumored to be removed entirely from the Olympic games due to lack of viewership.
                Secondly, it's really in my understanding that some amateurs will do fairly well against professional boxers, and it'd be nice to see how an amateur outclasses a professional(since amateur boxing is of a different nature in a sense.) This won't always be the case, but it is intriguing. Especially thinking of pros who are pretty much retired to try and get a gold medal: e.g. Manny Pacquiao versus an up and coming prodigy

Sure, experience might play its role, but the fact that he's in there fighting a different system(ever so slightly) against a younger, perhaps faster, and even more technically disciplined person for pts changes enough of it for me to accept it
                What I wouldn't necessarily agree with is the removal of headgear, as amateurs would then be at a huge disadvantage, can can be injured due to lack of veteran tricks that might cause them; cuts etc. and hence hamper their deserved growth into the sport
                Last edited by dranoel; 05-18-2016, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
                  Did letting nba players in Olympics ruin high school, ncaa, aau basketball?

Let the golden gloves be for ams and young uns.
                  You wouldn't put a college basketball team vs the best nba team would you? Or high school? Mens basketball in the olympics is all about who's going to win the silver because the US has it on lockdown with a team of all stars. They're also not physically fighting...

You wouldn't put a group of jrotc kids in a jungle to war against a group of SEALs..

People are making the mistake in thinking the top amateurs are more technically sound than pros and that's a huge mistake to make in line of thinking. Pro boxers are more polished, technically sound, and generally in much better physical shape with many being at their peak physical prime.

No 18 year old 147 pounder is beating Pacquiao. I dont care how much boxingscene you visit or how hard you are on youtube... Being the best amateur in your country's weight division is like being the best highschool/college player in your team. Being a world champion and you're the best fighter or one of on the entire planet at the weight class (for all intents and purposes)

Itd be fun to watch pros going up against kids with no headgear or experience going 12 rounds? What? The amount of strength, ferocity, etc that Pac would show if he had to fight for 1/3 of the time is insane. Imagine Kovalev teeing off on you non stop..or GGG... Or chocolatito...or Pacquiao..or Wladimir, or Canelo...Thurman, Crawford, etc etc. youve got guys like Gamboa with great amateur careers getting the dog sh it beat out of them by Crawford... Lomachenko losing to a top 10 type guy, Audley (lmao) dying everytime he steps in, Khan stil wandering the plains of Narnia, etc etc. Pros are just too much it's unsafe. And these are the GOOD olympians AFTER improving in the pro ranks.think about the countries who don't even have a big boxing program and some poor kid from Madagascar coming face to face with Kovalev.

Professional boxing is one of the only TRUE global sports in the world. Its not a league. The best are already fighting the best. Thats why they fight for actual World Titles. You wouldnt have a pro in the golden gloves would you? Olympics are the peak of amateur boxing. Its the most prestigious tournament for amateurs... Let the amateurs have their day.... You don't see the Patriots coming down to college football to get a college championship lol..and they're just a league.

I'd withdraw my kid if i turn around and see my 17 year old mw facing off against Kazakhstan...and then I see it's GGG. HELL no I don't let him get a life changing beat down for free. At least put him in vs someone who only has experience at the same level. Boxing is too dangerous.

As a fan it sounds cool..but as a former amateur I can't imagine having to be put in against a peak chavez sr...
                  Last edited by NearHypnos; 05-18-2016, 03:50 PM.

Comment

They are fine with drug cheats and guys who make up their own weight divisions and hijack title belts though as long as that money keeps flowing in.

Comment

Originally posted by Jsmooth9876 View Post
                      They are fine with drug cheats and guys who make up their own weight divisions and hijack title belts though as long as that money keeps flowing in.
                      Well prize fighting is for...money..

No one is making up divisions in the sport or holding every title in every division hostage. Adonis is still fighting at 75, there are other titles.. Canelo is still fighting at MW 155-160...160 is the limit..why b itch about fighting under it? Thats what contracts are for..and he beat the lineal mw champion for it and has had one single voluntary (so far). Tyson fury or deontay, or anyoneyou can think of generally has beat someone for the title.

The bigger problem is the promoters..i'd blame them over the corrupt sanctioning bodies..they're both a problem...but the fighters are still fighting and defending their titles for MONEY. Dont hate the player hate the game..it might be frustrating as fans but it's the nature of the game.

Drug cheats should def be punished though.

Comment

Working...
                      X