No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: WBC Vows Two-Year Ban To Pros Who Compete in Olympics

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Omowale Tribe View Post
    I agree with you. I think people are getting just a little too emotional because their idol Pacquiao said he might consider it. So now it's deemed 'OK' by those very people.
    Not everything has to do with pac or floyd, flo mo.

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
      Didn't say you said it. Sure I'm the one with comprehension problems?

If nba players who make 25 mil a year and have millions in endorsements will play for their country in the olympics....

You think boxers who make much less and with practically no endorsements wont?
      The U.S. Olympic boxing system has always been in place for the amateurs to shine. That won't change.

As previously mentioned, no decent U.S. pro will go for it. I'm talking Brandon Rios level and above. The very shitty below gatekeeper types might.

Comment

Not everything has to do with pac or floyd, flo mo.
        But in this case it does, Pac tard.

But I don't even mind if the Philippines uses their 'elite' pros. They need some hope over there after the Pacquiao fiasco.

Comment

It's just bad for the sport in general.

In some countries, probably most actually, competing in the Olympics is the way these amateurs get funding to keep boxing. Without it, a lot of the amateur boxing will get less funding and probably more kids will end up falling away from boxing when they could have been the ones propelling the sport forward in future.

The olympics has always been a great motivation for young amateurs and good for their development. Why change something that isn't broken.

Comment

Originally posted by Shrap View Post
            Is boxing the only sport in the olympics where the best athletes in the world don't actually compete?

This isn't contesting anything here, it's just an anomaly I've never quite understood.
            Soccer is under 23s with 3 overage players.

Comment

Originally posted by Omowale Tribe View Post
              The U.S. Olympic boxing system has always been in place for the amateurs to shine. That won't change.

As previously mentioned, no decent U.S. pro will go for it. I'm talking Brandon Rios level and above. The very shitty below gatekeeper types might.
              Yeah... no American pro would want to represent their country and win a gold medal.

You'll see. If they ever let pros in.

Comment

Originally posted by deathofaclown View Post
                It's just bad for the sport in general.

In some countries, probably most actually, competing in the Olympics is the way these amateurs get funding to keep boxing. Without it, a lot of the amateur boxing will get less funding and probably more kids will end up falling away from boxing when they could have been the ones propelling the sport forward in future.

The olympics has always been a great motivation for young amateurs and good for their development. Why change something that isn't broken.
                ummm you know Olympic boxing IS broken right?

That's why they've been making a lot of changes.

Comment

Yeah... no American pro would want to represent their country and win a gold medal.

You'll see. If they ever let pros in.
                  It is ******, I agree.

Guess we'll see.

Comment

They can seriously get hurt by amateurs too.

This is boxing. You can get seriously hurt .

I'm cool with it. Especially if they turn am boxing back to how it's suppose to be. Not the ****** game of tag you're IT it has been.
                    The problem with that line of thinking is that it makes amateurs almost completely obsolete in some countries. Why fight for free when some world champion is just going to go in there with 20+ years experience and wreck s hit.

It's funny you bring up the soviet/cuban fighters...seeing as cuban fighter always seem significantly more seasoned because they ARE. Lets take Amir khan vs Mario Kindalan for example. Sure, Khan later went on to beat him but who cares? Kindelan won the gold medal. You've got a bunch of 30 year olds fighting some 17, 18 year olds who usually follow the basic olympic transition to pro path. Some countries can't so the fighters stay in way oast the time they would have if they could have gone pro.

Even then...how many of these guys actually become legitimately dangerous pros? From the cuban school of boxing. They stay in the cuban system so long that they don't always translate over as well as pros since they keep the same style of "tag" as you call it. What you guys who are for this fail to realize is that pro boxing is ALREADY global and the world champs are literally world champs. Pro boxing isn't a league. It's the sport. Amateur boxing is conpletely obsolete with that line of thinking. What is it going to be..youth boxing straight into pro boxing? Almost every other sport is a game. Boxing is not.

There are older boxers in the olympics, that much is true...but how many of them are being trained by Nacho? Or Roach? A world champion is bigger than an olympic champion..people forget that because we're completely used to seeing champions on the regular. You could throw the majority of every gold medalist olympian straight into the ring with a top 10 pro guy and he'll get tooled. Lomachenko couldnt even deal with old ass Salido and it took him all of like 2-3 fights to realize it's a different world in the pro ranks.

A world champion is taking a step down trying to fight for an olympic gold... They've already surpassed it in scale. This aint the world series where it's just the US champion in the MLB... There's a difference.

On a side note...I'm sure a lot of the better pro fighters won't be going to the olympics. I think most find it morally wrong...and I'm sure some are also contractually obligated and cannot fight in them regardless. Doubt most guys will be keen on letting their pros fight other pros...... For free. It's kind of ******ed when you think about it
                    Last edited by NearHypnos; 05-18-2016, 03:34 AM.

Comment

ummm you know Olympic boxing IS broken right?

That's why they've been making a lot of changes.
                      Yeah but i mean in terms of letting pro's fight amateurs. Amateurs competing is not the problem, it's always been that way and thrived in the past. There has to be better ways than letting pro's fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X