No announcement yet.

Richard Schaefer plans to return to boxing this summer, likely as a promoter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bballchump11 View Post
    The PBC desperately needs him. Schaefer knows how to promote a fight and build fighters
    I think you're overstating Schaefer's ability to build fighters; the promoters/staff that Haymon is already working with (DiBella/Brown/Michel/Marguiles/etc) are doing a fine job.

Schaefer's great benefit is that he had relationships all over the place and was a really valued public face for Golden Boy; especially with Oscar wildin' out.

PBC needs that unifying public face for the press, and that's where Schaefer would help the most

Comment

PBC desperately needs this. They are flopping hard without him.

Comment

Originally posted by about.thousands View Post
        And the majority of his roster weren't unsigned. He kept the majority of his rosters. Those signed with Haymon who wanted to leave left. Those signed with Haymon who wanted to stay, stay. That's why Matthysse stayed and cut ties with Haymon. Just like Andre Dirrell left Haymon for 50 cent. Stop believing all the lies.
        Dude, Haymon left Oscar with almost no major stars outside of Canelo and Matthysse.

Even Abner Mares, who was the first world champion they groomed from the start of his career, is now with Haymon.

Originally posted by about.thousands View Post
        And I showed you how Hopkins, Cotto, and Mosley were on fight by fight basis with GBP. None of them were signed with Haymon. GBP has done fight by fight basis with plenty of fighters.
        All three of them were under Schaefer's watch.

Can you name any other promoters who work with so many boxers on a "fight by fight" basis? That certainly is not a standard practice. I for sure hope Floyd has all his guys signed up before be brings Schaefer on board.
        Last edited by ShoulderRoll; 05-11-2016, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
          I think you're overstating Schaefer's ability to build fighters; the promoters/staff that Haymon is already working with (DiBella/Brown/Michel/Marguiles/etc) are doing a fine job.

Schaefer's great benefit is that he had relationships all over the place and was a really valued public face for Golden Boy; especially with Oscar wildin' out.

PBC needs that unifying public face for the press, and that's where Schaefer would help the most
          Yup he could be the Dana white of pbc. He'd be better on the main stage than dibella

Comment

Fans have nothing to lose here. It's not their money that is being invested. Go for it!

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post

You may be right, but I like his mindset here for example

“I have great respect for Al,” the former Golden Boy Promotions CEO says. “He’s a friend of mine and I admire the way he cares about his fighters. But someone who can put together big TV deals is not necessarily a promoter. I would have promoted much more on site than Al has. He hasn’t done a lot of that and I think that’s one reason there hasn’t been more of a buzz for his fights.”

“Because of the promotional situation,” Schaefer says, “there hasn’t been much continuity and it becomes harder to build the fighters. When Danny Garcia fights at Barclays Center, the promoter is Lou DiBella. Then he fights at Staples Center and the promoter is Tom Brown. Neither promoter feels that he has a long term interest in Danny. And who should the media call when they want to talk about Danny’s next fight? Lou DiBella? Tom Brown? It’s a problem.”

Comment

Originally posted by CatchweightKing View Post
                Yup he could be the Dana white of pbc. He'd be better on the main stage than dibella
                That's up for debate, as I like Lou DiBella; the hang up is that DiBella promotes shows for fighters and a region (Northeast/NYC) for PBC. Having him handle the press obligations for a show in Cali promoted by Tom Brown pisses on everyone's shoes.

Schaefer gives you the benefits that DiBella would have, while also not doing anything to mess up the ecosystem that is the 7 or so PBC promoters promoting in their "territories" and building up fight towns (DiBella in Brooklyn, Tom Brown in L.A., Mayweather in Las Vegas, Marguiles in Chicago, Michel in Montreal, Leijah Battah in TX, etc)

Comment

Originally posted by bballchump11 View Post
                  You may be right, but I like his mindset here for example

“I have great respect for Al,” the former Golden Boy Promotions CEO says. “He’s a friend of mine and I admire the way he cares about his fighters. But someone who can put together big TV deals is not necessarily a promoter. I would have promoted much more on site than Al has. He hasn’t done a lot of that and I think that’s one reason there hasn’t been more of a buzz for his fights.”

“Because of the promotional situation,” Schaefer says, “there hasn’t been much continuity and it becomes harder to build the fighters. When Danny Garcia fights at Barclays Center, the promoter is Lou DiBella. Then he fights at Staples Center and the promoter is Tom Brown. Neither promoter feels that he has a long term interest in Danny. And who should the media call when they want to talk about Danny’s next fight? Lou DiBella? Tom Brown? It’s a problem.”
                  What he's said makes sense, but the answer isn't all that complicated.

who should handle the media call? Richard Schaefer.

Let the promoters handle the events in their home markets (including the press conference directly tied to each event), but have a single unifying voice, speaking for PBC to the media, as a conduit to tie together all of the shows.

Ortiz-Berto was basically an eliminator for Danny Garcia's voluntary title defense; someone like Schaefer should've tagged along with Tom Brown's event and fed that bit of info to the media, before but especially after the event.

The Haymon model is a lot different from what boxing's model has been for the last 20 years; Haymon seems to want to have strong markets to cycle his shows through, continuing to build the profile of guys on TV.

A figure like Schaefer (or even Hopkins; former fighter with gravitas, friendlier with the press than he was when he was younger, and has a clean living ethos that would prevent any personal demons messing up the brand or PBC relationships) to handle the media coordination is the missing piece for PBC.

Comment

About time Floyd use his fat bank account, invest in hiring Schaefer and provide fans meaningful fights. It's a win win situation.

Comment

It's obvious Schaefer will be playing a huge role in the forthcoming Garcia vs Mayweather fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X