No announcement yet.

Cotto vs Canelo -- My Thoughts

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by icha View Post
    not only i saw canelo slipping and blocking the jab but also countering, even roach at some point told cotto about that lazy jab ... not sure if 85 % , but 80% doesnt sound far from reallity .. but jab wasnt the only deciding factor on the fight, we all know that cottos power punches are decisive in his fights and in this one he was clearly outworked in that area... but like you said its your opiion and i respect it, there is more fans like you that share your opinion, but that doesnt make this fight controversial or a robbery ...
    Technically, it does make it at least controversial, since there's a difference of opinion between fans. We can chuck it up to different theories as to what should count in boxing, I guess. Nevertheless, I think that number is way, way too high. Cotto's jab was his best weapon all night. If it had been that ineffective, then there's no way the fight could've even been close. I'm not saying he hit every jab he threw, but it was definitely Canelo's biggest obstacle on fight-night.

Comment

Originally posted by Shrap View Post
      That makes no sense. Canelo has no reach advantage over Golovkin and Golovkin has an excellent jab. He's also slightly taller.

Canelo's reach isn't neutralising anything in that fight.
      Lil'G doesn't have an excellent jab. This isn't Lil'G vs Stevens either...

Lil'G's jab is stiff and only effective if landed flush. Alvarez easily pivots out of those jabs by twitching his backwards as usual let alone he can flick them off with his guard. Alvarez on the other hand is younger, and his flexibility is apparent.

The Lil'G analytics about his jab was 2014 at best. Dude's getting old, and he will gas out against Alvarez.

Comment

Originally posted by gmc_rfc_06 View Post
        It wasn't a very close fight.

Miguel moved a lot, threw pitty-pat punches and landed very little in the way of meaningful punches.

Canelo, on the other hand, landed the meaningful punches, his defensive work and counters were excellent, he completely controlled the tempo and style of the fight...

Out of Lara, Trout and Cotto, the Cotto fight was clearly the easiest of the 3. It was no closer than 116-112.
        Says the man who thought Eubank Jr deserved more than 3-4 rounds against Saunders and that he "started to late"....

The absolute best you could give was 7 rounds to Canelo...That's close if you ask me.

Also a thought I'd like to add that the only time they traded punches the whole fight, Cotto landed a left, right upstairs that made Canelo back off.

I actually hate Roach for getting Miguel to box and move too much

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by SugarKaineHook View Post

Lil'G's jab is stiff and only effective if landed flush. Alvarez easily pivots out of those jabs by twitching his backwards as usual let alone he can flick them off with his guard. Alvarez on the other hand is younger, and his flexibility is apparent.

The Lil'G analytics about his jab was 2014 at best. Dude's getting old, and he will gas out against Alvarez.
            Canelo vs GGG will look like Toney vs Barkley. Canelo is only getting slicker as he evolves. If he added a real jab and footwork he would be the most complete fighter in the game...

Comment

i saw most of cottos punches being blocked and slipped, that made the difference on this fight, not the size...
              This is what I don't understand....Canelo's shots that landed on the gloves were being bigged up as if "oh Canelo is so powerful it still counts"<- That's horse*****

Tell me why Canelo's blocked shots count but Cotto's don't?

Comment

seems similar to the Danny Garcia vs Mauricio Herrera compubox

Comment

Originally posted by SugarKaineHook View Post

Do you even watch boxing? His last match before Wade against David Lemieux was his best use of his jab and defensive skills by far.

Now you are also deflecting, I called you out on Canelo's "reach advantage" he had over Golovkin. There is none.

Comment

Looooool. No.

Comment

Originally posted by North Star View Post
                      I also thought Cotto did enough to win. He boxed really well and out landed Canelo in a majority of the rounds. It wasn't a surprise that Canelo got the judges decision though. I mean come on, this was in Vegas and Canelo has had the benefit of more than a few fights go his way when they shouldn't have. He is the cash cow and pretty much everyone involved outside of Cotto's team, ensured Canelo would win. Even the bull**** WBC act all but painted Cotto in a bad light. And did people really think Canelo would fight Golovkin? Seems like this was all for naught and Golovkin is still waiting.

If a rematch happens, I hope Cotto can do some more body work and hopefully break Canelo down. Who knows, maybe Canelo-weight will finally catch up to him and will bite him in the ass.
                      Cotto just spinned that belts off for some big payday...

Comment

Working...
                      X