Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
    i think you mean the bigger man

p4p cotto kicks his arse
    That is 100% true. Even if some people saw Canelo imposing his size somehow, there's no way they can claim Canelo is the better fighter. Cotto, outweighed by close to 25 pounds, gave Canelo all he could handle--no matter how anyone scored it. If you take away the size advantage, this isn't even a fight. Cotto destroys him.

Comment

Originally posted by SunSpace View Post
      We all certainly have to give Alvarez credit with regard to his defense; it was a lot better than I expected. I feel that his physical reach played a factor in its effectiveness, though. Cotto and Roach will definitely work toward negating it for the rematch.
      That reach is what's going to neutralize Lil'G. When Alvarez extends, that reach is particularly apparent.

Comment

I wouldn't say 90%. Mexico's media saw this fight the other way around. Heck, even Mexican legends like Marquez, Chavez, and Nacho did. It was controversial in Puerto Rico, as well. In fact, it's only the American, HBO audience (that I know of) which seems to have sided with Canelo. Considering that this was a Puerto Rico versus Mexico event, the fact that both saw Cotto winning is significant.
        just go back and check the polls on this very same forum, cotto fans with self respect in this forum had canelo as the winner, it was closer than the judges had it...

Comment

Originally posted by SugarKaineHook View Post
          That reach is what's going to neutralize Lil'G. When Alvarez extends, that reach is particularly apparent.
          That's a great fight. As much as I'd love for Cotto to get the rematch in September, the right thing for Alvarez to do would be to keep his word and fight GGG next. They're both big guys, and it's sure to be a barn-burner. They can be as cautious as they want, but, eventually, someone will land--hard.

Comment

Canelo landed the harder and more significant shots throughout the fight. Cotto's punches had no effect on Canelo. This is boxing. Not paddy cake or tag you're it.

Comment

Originally posted by icha View Post
              just go back and check the polls on this very same forum, cotto fans with self respect in this forum had canelo as the winner, it was closer than the judges had it...
              I don't deny that the American audience had Canelo winning; I saw as much, since most appear to be American in the forum. All I'm saying is that there are many other people who saw the fight in a different way. In Mexico, they were raving about Cotto being a "monster" throughout that fight.

And, that's what I saw. It was a highly competitive match-up, but I had Cotto winning handily. And that's what makes those scores unacceptable. Even fans who have Canelo winning, like you, agree that it was closer. Something was off that night.

Comment

I don't deny that the American audience had Canelo winning; I saw as much, since most appear to be American in the forum. All I'm saying is that there are many other people who saw the fight in a different way. In Mexico, they were raving about Cotto being a "monster" throughout that fight.

And, that's what I saw. It was a highly competitive match-up, but I had Cotto winning handily. And that's what makes those scores unacceptable. Even fans who have Canelo winning, like you, agree that it was closer. Something was off that night.
                i agree about the scoring, but the right man won... and to be honest cotto did better than i expected ...

Comment

Originally posted by Deevel916 View Post
                  Canelo landed the harder and more significant shots throughout the fight. Cotto's punches had no effect on Canelo. This is boxing. Not paddy cake or tag you're it.
                  But Canelo's punches (outside of the twelfth round) had no effect on Cotto. Those supporting Canelo continue to make that argument, but even the HBO commentators realized that Canelo was doing nothing to Cotto. They expected his shots to, from pure size differential, but the shots didn't significantly harm Cotto, or even move him, really.

My thinking is that Cotto's own defensive movements kind of played to his disadvantage here. I cannot see how anyone would think he was hurt in any other way. He simply wasn't.

What is clear is that Cotto out-boxed him. So, if we're honest about judging here, the decision should be easy. One guy lands, the other doesn't. Any other conclusion is simply a claim that someone personally feels that Canelo was somehow doing something. But that's the equivalent to a person saying they saw a ghost. There's no evidence behind it.

Comment

But Canelo's punches (outside of the twelfth round) had no effect on Cotto. Those supporting Canelo continue to make that argument, but even the HBO commentators realized that Canelo was doing nothing to Cotto. They expected his shots to, from pure size differential, but the shots didn't significantly harm Cotto, or even move him, really.

My thinking is that Cotto's own defensive movements kind of played to his disadvantage here. I cannot see how anyone would think he was hurt in any other way. He simply wasn't.

What is clear is that Cotto out-boxed him. So, if we're honest about judging here, the decision should be easy. One guy lands, the other doesn't. Any other conclusion is simply a claim that someone personally feels that Canelo was somehow doing something. But that's the equivalent to a person saying they saw a ghost. There's no evidence behind it.

I have no dog in this race. I'm puerto rican myself but am no diehard fan of either Cotto or Canelo. Yes it was much closer than what the judges had it but still a clear win for Canelo.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevel916 View Post
                      I have no dog in this race. I'm puerto rican myself but am no diehard fan of either Cotto or Canelo. Yes it was much closer than what the judges had it but still a clear win for Canelo.
                      That's okay; of course, you have a right to your opinion. I've just been interested in figuring out how people thought Canelo won; I don't see it.

We can agree to disagree, though. The more opinions, the merrier!

Comment

Working...
                      X