No announcement yet.

Cotto vs Canelo -- My Thoughts

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cotto vs Canelo -- My Thoughts

I thought Cotto out-boxed Canelo, 9 rounds to 3. As Miguel clearly won the first four rounds, the commentators were talking about what Twitter was saying -_-. Don't get me wrong; there were quite a few close rounds throughout the fight. However, I felt that Cotto did more than enough in most of them to earn the nod.

I was even actively looking to give Canelo rounds, although I'm a big Cotto fan, precisely for the sake of this thread. Canelo missed so many of the shots HBO gave him credit for, though. They kept saying, "Oh, what a shot!" as Cotto's clearly blocking it.

You even see it on one of the replays; Cotto lands some good shots, and Canelo misses a shot and throws a left hook, which lands low. Roy talked through this sequence as if it were an even exchange. No knock on Roy, but still. =/

Canelo was indeed the bigger man. No one can dispute that. But he was missing so many of the shots and given credit for those (including low blows), while Cotto's landed punches were barely acknowledged by Compubox, round after round. I don't know if it was the crowd, or the noises Canelo made as he threw, but I am baffled by how some people saw it. You just have to watch for the punches that actually land; it's that simple. There's no way around it.

For as heavy as Canelo was, he never moved Cotto. The commentators kept saying he was, and then ironically acknowledging he wasn't, over and over. It was more like the expectation that the shot should've moved Cotto, due to the size differential, took over the actual reality of the exchanges. Cotto even won the round where he practically brawled with Canelo. Even Canelo's team thought so. That says it all.

Nevertheless, although Cotto won the fight, Canelo won a great 12th round. He cut Cotto, and he took the air out of him with a great left hook, which had everyone wondering whether he was significantly hurt. Cotto, however, did a fantastic job of fighting back himself.

Overall, it was a great fight. I just don't understand how people to this day claim that Canelo won. Even Mexico thought Cotto won. C'mon. And, I know, I'll have loads of comments telling me they saw it the other way around and so forth, but I honestly cannot see what they're talking about.

Being bigger means nothing, if you're not literally hurting the other person. Cotto moved defensively as he threw, and maybe that gave some of you (and possibly HBO) the impression that he was rocked, but he wasn't. Like I said, they even acknowledged it wasn't happening.

Their entire claim, essentially, was that while Cotto was out-boxing him, Canelo looked to be bigger. That's it. Literally nothing else. If he's not hurting Cotto, not moving Cotto, not out-landing Cotto, how in the world does that equate to a victory? What, because Cotto looked smaller and wasn't moving Canelo much either?

What's the actual basis for judging this fight?

Twitter? -_-

Were those judges on Twitter, as well? Because I don't how anyone could've come up with those scores. The only thing clear about those scores is that they were a robbery.

I think a lot of what happened that night had to do with the ill-will toward Cotto because of the middleweight championship situation, and the (false) hope Canelo gave everyone with regards to GGG. Everyone simply wanted Canelo to win.

But, as Cotto said, the fight is on tape.

Miguel Cotto defeated Canelo Alvarez.

People are free to disagree, of course, but let's keep it civil.

There's a rematch on the horizon; Who do you favor? Why?

I believe Cotto wins again, fixing some of the errors made in the first fight to make it indisputable this time. It should still be an awesome match, though.

HBOBoxing has finally uploaded the fight to YouTube:

It's on tape.
    Last edited by SunSpace; 05-03-2016, 06:39 AM.

Seriously? It's over and done. Give it up. It was closer than the judges had it but still a clear win for Canelo.

Comment

Well, it's not over, because a rematch is potentially on the horizon. I don't see how you saw Canelo win. It baffles me.

Comment

Nobody gives a **** about your thoughts.

Comment

Well, apparently you cared enough to comment, and you're somebody.

Comment

I also thought Cotto did enough to win. He boxed really well and out landed Canelo in a majority of the rounds. It wasn't a surprise that Canelo got the judges decision though. I mean come on, this was in Vegas and Canelo has had the benefit of more than a few fights go his way when they shouldn't have. He is the cash cow and pretty much everyone involved outside of Cotto's team, ensured Canelo would win. Even the bull**** WBC act all but painted Cotto in a bad light. And did people really think Canelo would fight Golovkin? Seems like this was all for naught and Golovkin is still waiting.

If a rematch happens, I hope Cotto can do some more body work and hopefully break Canelo down. Who knows, maybe Canelo-weight will finally catch up to him and will bite him in the ass.

Comment

Alvarez has got some badass defense in this bout. It's one of his best performances against an elite. Close fight, but Alvarez won.

Comment

Given that RN settled the lawsuit with GB by paying GB the money and how RN canceled the June Cotto card, I'd say Cotto/Canelo II will happen in September. Maybe they'll have Lemieux/Stevens on the co-main, which would be enough for me to order it.

This time I hope they take it to Dallas like they should've the first time. RN sounded like such *-holes to work with. Hopefully they shut-up and let GB take charge of the promotion this time.

Comment

It wasn't a very close fight.

Miguel moved a lot, threw pitty-pat punches and landed very little in the way of meaningful punches.

Canelo, on the other hand, landed the meaningful punches, his defensive work and counters were excellent, he completely controlled the tempo and style of the fight...

Out of Lara, Trout and Cotto, the Cotto fight was clearly the easiest of the 3. It was no closer than 116-112.

Comment

Sorry, but no. I thought it was closer than the judges said and closer than Alvarez should have let it be, but he clearly won and was obviously the better man.

Comment

Working...
                    X