Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Latest PBC on Fox A Smash Hit In The Ring... But Not In the Ratings

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SugarKaineHook View Post
    Berto vs Ortiz? Right. ..lol

I know us hardcore fans knew it was an irrelevant fight and at the most would be a fun scrap, but I figured it would attract some casuals. Oh well.

Comment

In comparison, the first fight did pretty much the same numbers on HBO.

http://www.boxingscene.com/berto-vs-...bo-2011--38283

The past Saturday’s main event on HBO featuring a welterweight championship bout between Andre Berto and Victor Ortiz - attracted 1.5 million viewers, making it the highest audience for a fight this year on HBO. This audience number is for the live Saturday night airing of the fight on the network.

Comment

There was also the WhiteHouse corespondents dinner. The ratings could've been better but the early KOs helped. FOX ran a lot more ads during this broadcast than a normal PBC event. Which is good for the PBC. A better rating would mean that FOX could charge more for the airtime but it was still a great night for everyone involved.

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
          Yeah I guess I was overly optimistic about this one since both have fought Mayweather on PPV and their first fight was a barnburner (first 6 rounds at least.) I thought the casuals would check this one out.
          I've been watching boxing since the 80s. One fighters ability to draw in viewers, never translates over to who he fought, win or lose. You really think people would want to see Ortiz and Berto after floyd easily dismantled them? Thats moreso the reason why people chose not to tune in. They see them as lesser fighters.

Comment

Damn.....figured as much.....unfortunately this wasn't a marquee matchup especially going against Playoff Basketball.....this was bound to happen.....

Comment

That was one of the most exciting all around boxing cards I seen in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by LeonSpinxMwfpce View Post
                I've been watching boxing since the 80s. One fighters ability to draw in viewers, never translates over to who he fought, win or lose. You really think people would want to see Ortiz and Berto after floyd easily dismantled them? Thats moreso the reason why people chose not to tune in. They see them as lesser fighters.
                Take Robert Guerrero for example, he put up the highest PBC ratings on NBC and Fox. Of course it did help he was fighting undefeated up and coming fighters but the facts remained that he was apart of some big ratings. I think the Mayweather exposure helped as he was never a big ratings guy. I thought Berto-Ortiz 2 would do numbers for the same reason amd because they had a FOTY in the first one. Funny that they did the same numbers on HBO, guess the rematch was a little too late and stale.
                Last edited by _original_; 05-01-2016, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LeonSpinxMwfpce View Post
                  Being considered a 'lesser fighter' than the #1 P4P fighter doesn't mean folks won't watch you.

Mayweather also 'easily dismantled' Canelo too, who seems to still draw folks. Cotto has been wrecked many times, yet is still an attraction. Hell, even Gatti could sell tickets after all the times he got destroyed.

Not sure your theory works.

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
                    Take Robert Guerrero for example, he put up the highest PBC ratings on NBC and Fox. Of course it did help he was fighting undefeated up and coming fighters but the facts remained that he was a apart of some big ratings. I think the Mayweather exposure helped as he was never a big ratings guy.
                    Guerrero has a cancer story (his wife) that has been sold on HBO for years. People like a feel good story.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
                      Based on that is how live sports are viewed by TV currently, those are people who actually watch commercials because they have to watch it live. Their ratings are in line with other live sports outside football.

I am quite sure PBC will get a solid TV deal better than anyone will expect.
                      Is the ratings that you feel are in line with other sports the only reason that you feel quite sure about PBC getting a TV deal better than anyone suspects?

I don't think anyone has done anything on this scale in sports so while I'm always rooting for boxing idk if I'm as confident as you they can pick up a deal. I know TUF was a product the UFC put ~$10M into that was parlayed into a TV deal, but obviously that wasn't as big of a risk for the UFC or as much risk for Spike since they didn't need THAT much money to pick it up.

Comment

Working...
                      X