Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canelo fans, can you explain why he won't fight Golovkin?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
    I don't think the heat on Canelo is anywhere near as significant as folks here want to believe it to be, especially if Alvarez-Khan is a big PPV event, with another big PPV event lined up for September (Pacquiao at a catchweight, Marquez at a catchweight, Cotto II, and Mayweather II all being options).

Beyond that, what are the points on this site even worth, lol? Going from talking about laying out legit money to making what amounts to, in my opinion, a gentleman's bet is of no interest to me. Getting triple of something that seems to have no value, and getting someone I've never met to write something in their blurb is extremely low stakes, tbh.
    Alright, if you have away for us to make it a higher stakes bet i am fine with that. The problem is how to facilitate the bet safely for both parties...

At this point GGG vs. Canelo is the top fight to make, even though the guys you mentioned are or were bigger stars then GGG the public's most anticipated fight would be GGG vs. Canelo.

The heat on Canelo is pretty significant... every picture he posts... on any of the social media outlets i've described is followed by none stop GGG comments. i dont know how else to measure the criticism, he is consistently asked about it in the media, he is consistently ridiculed about it by his followers (on social media) and websites like these. It isn't just this website and it isn't just a handful of fans

Comment

Originally posted by Irony123 View Post
      Alright, if you have away for us to make it a higher stakes bet i am fine with that. The problem is how to facilitate the bet safely for both parties...

At this point GGG vs. Canelo is the top fight to make, even though the guys you mentioned are or were bigger stars then GGG the public's most anticipated fight would be GGG vs. Canelo.

The heat on Canelo is pretty significant... every picture he posts... on any of the social media outlets i've described is followed by none stop GGG comments. i dont know how else to measure the criticism, he is consistently asked about it in the media, he is consistently ridiculed about it by his followers (on social media) and websites like these. It isn't just this website and it isn't just a handful of fans
      I disagree with the notion that Alvarez-Golovkin is "the public's most anticipated fight", for the simple fact that the can crushing has gone on for so long that even the casual boxing fan acknowledges that Golovkin hasn't been fighting anyone worth fighting. The spectacle no longer works.

Alvarez can fight this Saturday, KO Khan in less than 7 rounds, grab the mic and say, in his ever-improving English, "the belt is nice, but I want Floyd!", and the entire boxing world would forget about Golovkin.

Comment

I disagree with the notion that Alvarez-Golovkin is "the public's most anticipated fight", for the simple fact that the can crushing has gone on for so long that even the casual boxing fan acknowledges that Golovkin hasn't been fighting anyone worth fighting. The spectacle no longer works.

Alvarez can fight this Saturday, KO Khan in less than 7 rounds, grab the mic and say, in his ever-improving English, "the belt is nice, but I want Floyd!", and the entire boxing world would forget about Golovkin.
        Just for the single fact that Golovkin has been fighting "no one" is the reason why a fight with Canelo would sell outta this world. He will finally fight a live body and people will naturally tune in to see what all the hype is. Canelo-GGG sells big time.

Comment

Anybody can say that... But lets be honest Golovkin vs. Canelo is the far more exciting fight than Floyd vs Canelo 2... did the first one leave anything to be desired?

Floyd vs Canelo will make more money but for fcks sake who really wants to see that fight...

Comment

Originally posted by jcj0427 View Post
            Just for the single fact that Golovkin has been fighting "no one" is the reason why a fight with Canelo would sell outta this world. He will finally fight a live body and people will naturally tune in to see what all the hype is. Canelo-GGG sells big time.
            The interest in Golovkin, as a standalone entity, is nowhere near as high as I think you believe it to be. The fact that Golovkin-Lemieux did maybe 100k PPV buys (or the fact that K2, after "selling out" The Forum for Golovkin-Monroe, was unwilling to scale the full building for Golovkin's return to the venue) let's you know that Golovkin doesn't yet have an audience that will back him with their dollars (euros).

Alvarez-Khan, for a 20k-seat venue in Las Vegas, is being priced $1,500/$1,200/$1,000/$800/$600/$400/$250/$150, and will likely end up moving the vast majority of those tickets come fight night (Brits coming over, Mexican/Latin fans supporting their guy, gamblers and their trophies, "big fight celebs", etc).

I doubt that hardly any Golovkin fan will lay out that type of scratch for a fighter that they really don't know is even the goods yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Irony123 View Post
              Anybody can say that... But lets be honest Golovkin vs. Canelo is the far more exciting fight than Floyd vs Canelo 2... did the first one leave anything to be desired?

Floyd vs Canelo will make more money but for fcks sake who really wants to see that fight...
              Exciting's got nothing to do with it, tbh.

Beyond that, in the hype for Mayweather-Alvarez II, Alvarez would have three years more experience, would've shown continued growth in his own boxing ability, and Floyd would a year removed from a so-so performance against Andre Berto.

Alvarez is clearly starting his physical prime, Floyd is clearly on his way out, and the fight is likely going to be at 154/155. Old lion vs young lion, Mayweather-Alvarez II will likely be seen as an even fight.

Golovkin having yet to really fight anyone worth fighting, at the age of 34, has greatly muted my "excitement" for the fight, for the simple fact that Golovkin is so unknown a quantity that he's got the feeling of being a "Great White Hope".

Comment

It was hilarious to see ESPN have a graphic up this week showing Canelo gains something like 15.3 pounds between the weigh in and fight night.

Everybody knows what he's up to.
                Last edited by Mitchell Kane; 05-05-2016, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Exciting's got nothing to do with it, tbh.

Beyond that, in the hype for Mayweather-Alvarez II, Alvarez would have three years more experience, would've shown continued growth in his own boxing ability, and Floyd would a year removed from a so-so performance against Andre Berto.

Alvarez is clearly starting his physical prime, Floyd is clearly on his way out, and the fight is likely going to be at 154/155. Old lion vs young lion, Mayweather-Alvarez II will likely be seen as an even fight.

Golovkin having yet to really fight anyone worth fighting, at the age of 34, has greatly muted my "excitement" for the fight, for the simple fact that Golovkin is so unknown a quantity that he's got the feeling of being a "Great White Hope".
                  you know its funny how posters on this website always use the excuse GGG having yet to really fight anyone worth fighting while in the same breath defending everyone else who avoids him.

How is he supposed to get any credit for fighting anyone credible if in your mind fighters like Canelo (or anyone worth a damn) should fight everyone but Golovkin, even though he is right now in the top 5 most popular (and number 1 most notorious) boxers in the world.

Comment

It used to be if a guy was a MW Champ, he fought at 160. No catchweight , no bs. To be a champ was special and boxers wanted that respect. Now you have too many belts and it's not the same, guys will give up a title to avoid paying the sanctioning fee.
                    Hopefully Alvarez will sign to fight Golovkin if he beats Khan-job and we can see a good fight.

Comment

The interest in Golovkin, as a standalone entity, is nowhere near as high as I think you believe it to be. The fact that Golovkin-Lemieux did maybe 100k PPV buys (or the fact that K2, after "selling out" The Forum for Golovkin-Monroe, was unwilling to scale the full building for Golovkin's return to the venue) let's you know that Golovkin doesn't yet have an audience that will back him with their dollars (euros).

Alvarez-Khan, for a 20k-seat venue in Las Vegas, is being priced $1,500/$1,200/$1,000/$800/$600/$400/$250/$150, and will likely end up moving the vast majority of those tickets come fight night (Brits coming over, Mexican/Latin fans supporting their guy, gamblers and their trophies, "big fight celebs", etc).

I doubt that hardly any Golovkin fan will lay out that type of scratch for a fighter that they really don't know is even the goods yet.
                      I think you are mistaken. Fan's travel very well for Golovkin. Even if the fight is in Texas, GGG will have thousands of his own fans there. ****, if they fight at the Cowboy's stadium, we should all go. Its a massive event.

Comment

Working...
                      X