Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are u NOT a boxer (not amateur or pro) but HAVE sparred before?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, quite a bit actually in the past. Was going to have a few amateur bouts, but i thought to myself, what for? I like to go at things 100% and commit. I don't have the time for that with my job, and i like my job. I don't want to do myself a disservice by not giving it everything, and the reason is (and i know this will sound ridiculous), but i'm actually very good. I am stronger than 95% plus people my size (195 to 200 pounds) and i have very fast hands and feet for my size. I have physical advantages, and i am coordinated. I also throw every punch well, bar the overhand right, which i just can't seem to get right. I can also take a shot to the head or body - this much i know for a fact.

Have sparred some amateurs in the 170 - 175 pound range. My weight advantage generally makes up for their conditioning advantage, and also the fact they spar a lot, so their timing and ability to put punches together is better. Looking good on the bag and mitts is easy, but unless you spar often you won't get to really put in practice what you learn. That first sparring session you do, after not having done it for months or years is always the hardest. You basically get a headache once you get hit with the first clean head shot and after the first round realise you aren't as fit as you had believed.

If i had have taken up the sport at university when 17 or 18, no doubt i would have had 40-50 am bouts by now. Alas i took it up properly basically when i was 26-27. By that point i had a good job (still do) and showing up to it w a black eye isn't all that appealing to me, and in reality too old to give it a proper go.

Comment

Originally posted by MalcolmSEX View Post
      Exactly. No one in their right mind would even try to say they could hang with Kobe playing one on one or, say get tackled by a NFL linebacker.

Yet there's guys on here who think they could go some rounds with Gonzalez, rigo or lomachenko because they are only little dudes. It's hilarious.

Anyway iceman it would be great for you to pop into the training and nutrition forum and share some knowledge. We get some decent discussion in there sometimes.
      Thats the funny thing about boxing, guy thinking because a guy is smaller they can smoke him. When i first staryed fighting my trainer didnt let me spar the first 3 months. I was a tough guy and kept begging him! I fought at 178, but when I first started training I was in the 190's. First time I sparred he put me in with this kid Mike Macari who the the wet NE golden gloves champ. I though I would kill him. Wrong. I couldn't lay a glove on him. He couldn't hurt me, but he gave me a lesson. I spared with Manny Contreas who was the NE heavyweight champ and was stopped by Riddick Bowe. He was supposed to work on defense only till I started tagging him, then he let loose. I can't say it enough, there is a world of difference between even a moderate pro and just some tough guy on the street or internet. If you haven't been in the ring you have no idea.

Comment

JAB, I Agree 1000000 pct

Comment

I'm an amateur but two old to take it seriously. Love it sparring fighting whatever.

Comment

I only regret boxing in my youth, when it gets cold. My face and hands need heat to function.

I love boxing, that ball sac man smell mixed with blood....magical Man ****.

I play zero video games, I am struggling now because EA is trying to hire me away from my job. More $$$¥¥¥¥.

My j girl likes more money, but I don't know **** about games....
            I don't get virtual stupidity/reality.

I need to volunteer to train young j dudes for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.

I feel like a dinosaur!
            Last edited by Zaroku; 05-03-2016, 02:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nubianpiye View Post
              I'm an amateur but two old to take it seriously. Love it sparring fighting whatever.
              I like that copper taste of a cut in your mouth that doesn't heal right away.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                Thats the funny thing about boxing, guy thinking because a guy is smaller they can smoke him. When i first staryed fighting my trainer didnt let me spar the first 3 months. I was a tough guy and kept begging him! I fought at 178, but when I first started training I was in the 190's. First time I sparred he put me in with this kid Mike Macari who the the wet NE golden gloves champ. I though I would kill him. Wrong. I couldn't lay a glove on him. He couldn't hurt me, but he gave me a lesson. I spared with Manny Contreas who was the NE heavyweight champ and was stopped by Riddick Bowe. He was supposed to work on defense only till I started tagging him, then he let loose. I can't say it enough, there is a world of difference between even a moderate pro and just some tough guy on the street or internet. If you haven't been in the ring you have no idea.

Besides being too prideful, and not working on my weaknesses, I got pissed when I got out classed. I Embarrassed myself more than once by street fighting when a guy out classed me. Hahahahaha. I am a fool!!! Hahahahahaha! First class fool!

Comment

Originally posted by ICEMAN JOHN SCULLY View Post
                  Have u ever been in the gym and actually boxed someone before? We've had tons of guys over the years come through the gyms...they work out, they like boxing...they don't want to fight but they do like to get in there sometimes (with the right person, not trying to get killed) after having spent time learning some moves and punches.

Have you?
                  this is me for 4 years now. it just sucks because i want to learn more but there are hardly any trainers who can really be teachers to teach me the fundamentals and proper techniques. most of this guys who train people here are still in a learning process because we lack teachers who can guide us (boxers or regular guys like me who just wants to be good at the sport we love)

anyhow, as much as i want to be on this as much as i want i can only do this after work if im not too busy running the business. other than that i try to enjoy it as best as i could because it's the only outlet i get for myself.

any tips boss?

Comment

I've decided to start visiting boxing gym when I was 16, to be able to protect myself if I get approached on the streets by some group of people with bad intentions towards me, I was getting into a lot of troubles back then, unintentionally. Sometimes I was getting beat up by large groups of people, they wanted to take the money from me. I was getting into a lot of first fights. Once I got beat up by 3 guys who were in their 30's because I looked at them the wrong way plus they wanted my money and I was a little kid and nobody in the streets would pay attention to that beating. People on the streets were walking away like nothing is happening and these three grown up suckers were saying that they're going to put me in coma.

After situations like this, I've decided I need to practice something like boxing to protect myself better in a fist fight, because the street fights is rarely fair, they always try to outnumber you. I didn't have a lot of money back then, so I couldn't afford paying for boxing classes. Luckily for me, I've found out there's a boxing gym in my neighborhood, it was messed up and looked really cheap but the trainer (he was ethnic yakut, it's one of native Asian ethnicities in Far East of Russia, a really big guy) was a great person, he was teaching these young kids like me for free. We didn't have to pay anything at all. Boxing equipments were cheap over there, I really couldn't complain about that but he was training us really hard, to be honest I don't remember being so tired in my whole life. Eventually, I've convinced one of my friends to start visiting that boxing gym with me, and the trainer noticed a lot of potential in him. At some moment, the trainer said that we need to bring our medical cards to check for him to be sure that boxing classes don't possess any risk to our health and since I've had some problems with my health condition he said that continuining the training with me is the risk that he doesn't want to take, he said he can't be responsible if something bad will happen to my health as a result of boxing. I was trying to get permission to continue my boxing classes from the doctor but the doctor said no way I can give you that permission, stay away from boxing, there's too much risk for you. The trainer refused to continue boxing classes with me, so I've had to leave that boxing gym. My friend left that boxing gym with me too and I really don't know his reasons, I was surprised since he was having a great potential and the trainer was giving him a lot of attention. But I've met a lot of great people there, the time that I spent in that boxing gym helped me to gain my confidence on the streets, it was a great experience for me and this is how I ended up being interested in boxing.

I wouldn't call myself a hardcore boxing fan though
                    Last edited by g27region; 05-03-2016, 03:49 AM.

Comment

I boxed, been in the gym since I was like 6, had amatuer fights quite a few of them too won majority of them lost a few.

I dont get this, oh if you boxed before you wont call a boxer a bum, lmfao wtf kind of stupid logic is that. What else would you call a bum? a palooka? same shit. You want people to be nice about it, "oh boxing is just not this guy calling, hes passed it" lmfao.

Boxing is the only sport with a bunch of sensitive ass faggots always crying about something lmfao. You dont see football fans calling out the fan who got mad cause x player didnt catch the ball do you, they dont be going around telling dudes "have you ever played in the nfl before well if you did you would understand that you cant catch all the balls" lmfao GTFOH or basketball or any other sport.

Comment

Working...
                      X