Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: WBA: If No Golovkin-Canelo, We Will Order GGG-Danny Jacobs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is a good fight, perhaps the best at MW. However, Jacob's attitude towards this fight is a let down. I don't think he fares well. Both him and Quillen don't have the attitude of a fighter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eastcoast View Post
      Lol at Haymon winning a purse bid to strip GGG. That's why Wilder's punching his passport. Haymon won't bid $5mill for Jacobs like he did Wilder. Danny will beg Saunders for WBO asylum, vacate, or get his butt kicked.
      Canelo will offer Saunders an entire purse between the 2 for WBO asylum, Jacobs and Haymon only have to say purse bids and a GGG fight won't happen.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott.Weiland. View Post
        Canelo will offer Saunders an entire purse between the 2 for WBO asylum, Jacobs and Haymon only have to say purse bids and a GGG fight won't happen.
        The Haymon purse bid threat is a lot less credible these days, never mind in this case where their guy is huge underdog taking the lesser cut.

Comment

• Originally posted by BoxingIsGreat View Post
          I agree. Never thought of Jacobs as a good fighter, same goes for Saunders, Lee and the rest. The middleweight division really sucks if this hypejob is their ruler.

The only fighter I'm interested in against the boogeyman is Ward. Why not fight Ward at 175? I think Ward doesn't have any fight scheduled for the summer yet. It can be his tune up for Canelo for the fall!
          lee has at least paid his dues in the division and beat some solid fighters. Saunders is a very good, highly skilled competitor who lacks any power to make him a real threat. Both would be better wins than beating Jacobs.

And I don't understand the argument of GGG moving up, over a stone in weight, to fight Ward, who has refused to fight anyone of note for close to 4 full years. GGG v a 168 pounder might make sense but again, that seems unlikely with the likes of Ramirez, Groves and Jack obviously not wanting anything to do with GGG. DeGale has mentioned him but his priority is unification, as is GGGs priority.

Comment

• Originally posted by BillyBoxing View Post
            That is not true, blasting Kid Chocolate in 2 rounds makes him a legit belt holder.

He's a hell of a puncher 28kos/31 wins.

I like that fight.
            He can punch but so could a million prospects, challengers and journeymen throughout boxing history. That's all he has going for him and even then. Who is to say Quillin was anything worth talking about? The guy barely got past his opponents in the last 3 bouts...and he himself was supposed to be somewhat of a puncher.

Jacobs is THE WORST paper champ I've seen...apart from possibly Martin.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chollo Vista View Post
              Jacobs will be the first to stop GGG

You have to look at the context in the Pirog loss. Jacobs was beating Pirog before that KO whether you agree or not. It's a fact.

GGG does not move like Pirog. He doesn't have the upper body movement. Golovkin is very robotic with his movement. Very rarely does he duck out of the way of a punch. However, he has shown great agility against Lemiuex. Problem is, that's really not telling me much since Lemieux's feet are an F550 and Jacobs feet are a Corvette.

Lemieux is also the same height as GGG with short T-rex arms. Jacobs is tall and lengthy and is therefore able to generate much more power and get more leverage than Lemeiux. Jacobs is also much faster than DL and much better in his delivery.

Who has GGG fought with the power, speed and boxing ability of Daniel Jacobs? Jacobs is like Willie Monroe but with mutant-esque power compared to Monroe.

If Golovkin drops his hands and lets Jacobs hit him like he let Monroe and Wade hit him, it's over. You know this. In the same breath, he can't afford to try and outbox Jacobs like he did DL. Yes, that statement is subjective, but I'm going purely off the eye test here.

Another thing to think about is although Lemieux was KO'd by Rubio, GGG never hurt DL to the head. All the times DL was hurt was to the body. Does this mean that Rubio hits harder than GGG because he was able to hurt DL to the head? Of course not which is why I don't like using analogies like that when talking about fights.

GGG has never faced someone of Jacobs caliber that has all the tools, power and threats of Jacobs. I'm salivating thinking about it.

Tom Loeffler has said that Jacobs is more of a threat than Canelo for a reason.

http://******.craveonline.com/news/4...weekend-review

Tom Loeffler, who promotes Triple-G, said he’s open to a fight against Jacobs. “That becomes very big if both fighters keep winning,” he said. I think Jacobs matches up better with Golovkin than Alvarez does because he’s naturally bigger and has a better amateur foundation, although the Mexican might have a better chin. … I don’t think the knockout loss will be as damaging to Quillin’s career as one might assume. Sometimes even the best fighters get caught with a big shot, as Jacobs did in his knockout lose to Dmitry Pirog in 2010. It happens. And the controversial nature of the stoppage mitigates the loss to some degree. I think Quillin (32-1-1, 23 KOs) remains one of the best 160-pounders in the world. He’ll bounce back quickly. … As always, it made me sick to hear the broadcasters refer to Jacobs-Quillin as a title fight. It wasn’t. Jacobs holds the bogus WBA “regular” title, which was invented so the sanctioning body could collect additional fees. Everyone knows that Golovkin is the actual WBA champ. The “regular” belt means about as much as the belt I bought on sale at Macy’s last week. In other words, it means nothing. Blow-by-blow man Mauro Ranallo ultimately did label the proliferation of belts “ridiculous.” Kudos to him.
              All points, sig and avi that GGG beats Jacobs if/when it happens?

Comment

• Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
                He can punch but so could a million prospects, challengers and journeymen throughout boxing history. That's all he has going for him and even then. Who is to say Quillin was anything worth talking about? The guy barely got past his opponents in the last 3 bouts...and he himself was supposed to be somewhat of a puncher.

Jacobs is THE WORST paper champ I've seen...apart from possibly Martin.
                He can punch and he can box, this guy is not a bad fighter.

He has been exposed by Pirog, but Jacobs had no experience and wasn't ready for that type of level.
                Dude hadn't fought a top 50 and took on a top 3 MW.

I think Jacobs is a good fighter, his chin is suspect though.

You took Martin as an exemple, but Joshua himself is more of a paperchamp than Jacobs, beating Quillin is more legit than beating Martin.

Comment

• Originally posted by BillyBoxing View Post
                  He can punch and he can box, this guy is not a bad fighter.

He has been exposed by Pirog, but Jacobs had no experience and wasn't ready for that type of level.
                  Dude hadn't fought a top 50 and took on a top 3 MW.

I think Jacobs is a good fighter, his chin is suspect though.

You took Martin as an exemple, but Joshua himself is more of a paperchamp than Jacobs, beating Quillin is more legit than beating Martin.
                  AJ is a better, all round fighter with far higher skill levels, it's not even close.

Comment

• FFS, Quillin and Jacobs were both paper champs. What is the matter with you people.

Both of them are mid-level contenders. I give Jacobs credit for being one of the few middleweights other than Golovkin who actually holds a win over another notable middleweight. That is true of almost no one else in the division.

Quillin, like Lemieux, only matters because he beat N'Dam. He's done nothing else. He couldn't even beat Lee who is the definition of mediocre.

So few of these beltholders nowadays have actually done anything to merit their standing in the sport. Most of them never even fight a ranked contender until they get their title shot. I saw a post on reddit that said none of the current lightweight beltholders beat a top 10 opponent on the way to winning their belts. Not even in the title fight. Ridiculous - https://www.reddit.com/r/Boxing/comm...e_meaningless/

Comment

• Originally posted by kej718 View Post
                      Because they made it seem like Ward wasn't deserving of the fight. He is already a Hall of famer with what he has done in his career. I get him wanting to fight Froch or Chavez Jr. too, but come on, dude just seems like a bottom feeder if he does that. Fight a guy with more than 1 good win and you will get credit for it (is that really to much to ask for).

Canelo, Jacobs, Saunders, DeGale, Jack would all be good fights for him. It's about making the biggest fights. You can't be mad at Canelo and do the same thing to Ward (I understand why he doesn't want to fight him, because its almost an automatic loss, but don't bad mouth they guy that did it the hard way). Just stay at 160. The guy is 34, he is not getting any younger, and needs fights that will define his legacy at this point. Look at his record and tell me who are the best fighters he has faced, and then look at those guys records. I think it is a fair criticism when people are talking about him being P4P #1 with no names on his resume, but will discredit a guy like Ward that has accomplished more than him.

I think he is a good fighter, and like most people I want to see if he can be a great fighter, but that won't happen unless we see him get tested. Any of those guys mentioned would be a good fight for him (he would be favored in all of them).
                      Yes - I'm familiar with the criticism - I already said that. However the Ward fight is gone. That boat has sailed. Given the circumstances as they are now is fighting Zurdo (on the precondition that a MW unifier can't be made) better than fighting Lee / N'Dam or some #20 MW? I think it is. I would prefer Degale (or Jack maybe) but Zurdo is definitely a step in the right direction.

The argument seems to be that since he'd didn't fight Ward at a particular time under a particular set of circumstances he should never venture up to 168 because he'll lose face. Now it might just be me, but that doesn't seem an entirely rational - or even sane - way of conducting a career. Just sayin'.
                      Last edited by Citizen Koba; 04-25-2016, 06:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X