No announcement yet.

A clear view on Roy Jones Jr...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
    Eh, no. Try again. Or rather, please don't.
    Satire, bro.

Comment

you don't understand boxing. at all. if you get ko'd that takes away all your prio achievements. ever heard of manny pac? yea neither have I.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
        Eh, no. Try again. Or rather, please don't.
        Pretty much.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
          Roy Jones Jr sole mistake, as I see it, was going from 175, bulking up to 205-210(packing on lean muscle mass), and then shredding off 30lbs from his body in 8 months, ending up barely beating Antonio Tarver.

If he'd simply fought John Ruiz at heavyweight, and then just fought at cruiserweight from the jump (James Toney vs Vassily Jirov was happening at about that same time for the IBF title; the winner of that fight, Johnny Nelson[WBO], Mormeck[WBA], and Braithwaite[WBC] would've all been good fights) he would've been fine.
          I too wish things had turned out differently, but it's hindsight. Although to be honest, he'd still have ended up with losses on his resume because he'd still have kept on fighting. I always wish he'd have fought Tarver in 2000 though. Then he probably wouldn't have dropped back from HW to have fought him like you've mentioned.

Regarding Roy's weight, he didn't even shed the weight in 8 months. According to Alton Merkerson, Roy kept his physique from the Ruiz fight in the event that another HW fight presented itself. After he'd fought Ruiz, his team negotiated with Evander. But Evander couldn't reach a compromise with King, and King refused to pay him money which was owed to him from a previous fight. Which is why Evander ended up fighting Toney instead. He was extremely angry with King so he signed to fight Toney even though the guarantee was for less and there was no title at stake. Then in August, Roy considered fighting Corrie Sanders. But the fight fell through when Roy went back and asked for double of what the guarantee was. He then signed to fight Tarver in September. So he had less than 3 months to shed the weight. He didn't weigh as much as you've noted though, it was just under 200 pounds. But he still had to drop 25 in total to hit the weigh-in.

With regards to the names you've mentioned at CW, the truth is, Roy had no real interest in the CW division back then. Fights against the likes of Braithwait and Nelson etc meant nothing. His dream fight back then was a mega money fight against Tyson.

Comment

Originally posted by robertzimmerman View Post
            I too wish things had turned out differently, but it's hindsight. Although to be honest, he'd still have ended up with losses on his resume because he'd still have kept on fighting. I always wish he'd have fought Tarver in 2000 though. Then he probably wouldn't have dropped back from HW to have fought him like you've mentioned.

Regarding Roy's weight, he didn't even shed the weight in 8 months. According to Alton Merkerson, Roy kept his physique from the Ruiz fight in the event that another HW fight presented itself. After he'd fought Ruiz, his team negotiated with Evander. But Evander couldn't reach a compromise with King, and King refused to pay him money which was owed to him from a previous fight. Which is why Evander ended up fighting Toney instead. He was extremely angry with King so he signed to fight Toney even though the guarantee was for less and there was no title at stake. Then in August, Roy considered fighting Corrie Sanders. But the fight fell through when Roy went back and asked for double of what the guarantee was. He then signed to fight Tarver in September. So he had less than 3 months to shed the weight. He didn't weigh as much as you've noted though, it was just under 200 pounds. But he still had to drop 25 in total to hit the weigh-in.

With regards to the names you've mentioned at CW, the truth is, Roy had no real interest in the CW division back then. Fights against the likes of Braithwait and Nelson etc meant nothing. His dream fight back then was a mega money fight against Tyson.
            After winning world titles at 160, 168, 175, and heavyweight, Roy could've easily settled in for fights at 200, holding onto his frame on the chance that another heavyweight fight would open up. If nothing were to open up for Roy, he likely would've happily walked away ten years ago.

I simply don't see why he went back down for Tarver.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Anorak View Post
              Satire, bro.
              Who are you, a couch potato, to satirise John Scully bro?

Comment

After winning world titles at 160, 168, 175, and heavyweight, Roy could've easily settled in for fights at 200, holding onto his frame on the chance that another heavyweight fight would open up. If nothing were to open up for Roy, he likely would've happily walked away ten years ago.

I simply don't see why he went back down for Tarver.
                There were no appealing big money fights at CW though, and Tarver had baited him all throughout the year. He crashed the Ruiz post fight press conference.

Roy would never have walked away for good years ago under any circumstances. He can't hang up the gloves while he still feels in shape and he's still able to compete at a certain level. It's all he's done since he was about 8 years old.

Comment

Guys it's the calm before the storm, I firmly believe, that Roy will move down to MW and take it all the way to heavyweight again, winning titles from todays top athletes, maybe even OL too.

Comment

Originally posted by robertzimmerman View Post
                    There were no appealing big money fights at CW though, and Tarver had baited him all throughout the year. He crashed the Ruiz post fight press conference.

Roy would never have walked away for good years ago under any circumstances. He can't hang up the gloves while he still feels in shape and he's still able to compete at a certain level. It's all he's done since he was about 8 years old.
                    By the late 2000s, Roy Jones' punch resistance would've likely been in serious wane anyway; with all of his accomplishments in hand, I doubt that Roy hangs on (even now, Roy's only stated reason for still fighting is not having picked up a cruiserweight title).

Comment

By the late 2000s, Roy Jones' punch resistance would've likely been in serious wane anyway; with all of his accomplishments in hand, I doubt that Roy hangs on (even now, Roy's only stated reason for still fighting is not having picked up a cruiserweight title).
                      I respect your opinion mate, but I don't agree at all. In my opinion, his recent CW quest was just an excuse to prolong his career. It gave him a goal. But again, he never gave the division a seconds thought back in the day. If you watch any recent interview of his, you'll see that he won't hang them up while ever he feels great in the gym and he can still fight. (at a certain level)

Roy's CW quest is now over. The final nail was hammered in to the coffin when Enzo Mac knocked him out. There's no way he'll ever get another shot. People are genuinely scared of seeing him fight again. Even the Russians don't want to see him fight again. But he's still fighting. That tells you it's not about a CW title. I think he'll fight at least another few times before he finally lets go. He's always wanted one final fight in Pensacola too. So if he fights again and it's somewhere else, you'll know there's more to come.

Comment

Working...
                      X