No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Spence-Algieri PBC Card Draws TV Average of 1.24 Million

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
    Thanks. So, in isolation, you're basically looking at a move of about 10k paying fans per game after the arrival of Bryce Harper (though I'd also imagine that the team being better and having Gonzalez/Strasburg also coming on board didn't hurt things).

If Harper were to walk in free agency, I simply don't see 10k paying fans per game walking with him
    Scherzer is the best pitcher they have but Gonzales and Strasburg are legit too. That team is stacked.

Harper is the future of baseball. Remember hearing about him at 15. Kid a phenom.

My buddy and I argue who is the best young player and i say Harper he says Trout. Both good

Comment

Thanks. So, in isolation, you're basically looking at a move of about 10k paying fans per game after the arrival of Bryce Harper (though I'd also imagine that the team being better and having Gonzalez/Strasburg also coming on board didn't hurt things).

If Harper were to walk in free agency, I simply don't see 10k paying fans per game walking with him
      Alternatively, Strasburg may walk in free agency, and if he does, we'll see then how many fans he takes with him.

How many fans did Jordan Zimmerman and Doug Fister take with them?

Being pitchers, I'm sure someone with the time could probably look up the attendance figures in games that a pitche starts versus the teams average home attendance....but I don't have that time.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
        True but reports are saying Haymon purses are being lowered. Hell, they had to get rid of Marv and SRL (not that I minded) on Sat. So the purses might not be as much.
        Even if you lower the purses which they had to as well as basically suspend PBC for about 2 months (Feb and March) it still is not a good sign that you can only draw a little over 1m viewers on Prime time NBC.

We don't know all the numbers but the LA Times put most of the relevant ones together in this piece
        http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...203-story.html

Last year was reported that PBC paid NBC 20mil for the air time. Even with purses being lowered according to LA Times they only get $462,963 per show from advertisement which is based on TV ratings. They get very little from the live gate on ticket sales for example they announced a 12k attendance for the Garcia/Guerrero fight but they only actually received $508,620 that fight in tickets per LA Times. Yet UFC which does report their live gate figures to fans and the public does DOUBLE that amount in NON PPV fights that they report having 10k in attendance. Now if the UFC ticket prices are virtually the same as PBC how can they do double the amount while having less attendance? It's because damn near HALF the attendance at the Garcia/Guerrero fight were given FREE tickets! Which goes with numerous reports of PBC fight after fight not being able to sell tickets and just giving them away.

If PBC announced 7k at the fight this weekend you can expect they likely only sold about 4K in tickets and gave the rest away for free. They probably got half the tickets sales as Garcia overall which would be around 250k at the gate and lets say they got the avg 462K from commercials. Just purses alone according to Dan Rafael they paid over 1.1mil for the 3 fights which is less then the 700k they are getting from tv adds and the ticket sales. And this doesn't count the 20 mil you are kicking back to the network for the air time and any production costs that NBC is NOT paying that comes out of PBC's pocket. The numbers just don't add up. And with the ratings so low when PBC can't afford the air time anymore why would NBC pay for this when it get's such crappy return in the ratings? They can simply buy cheaper programming elsewhere or just air their own reruns and get better ratings.

Comment

• Boxing ratings are pitiful across the board. NBC has dropped to HBO level ratings now. That is pretty crazy.

Comment

• Al needs to work out a deal with FX, Tru, or Spike to have PBC Marathons on the weekends from 3pm to 7pm. Have Sugar Ray host with Marv Albert or someone and give color commentary as they reflect on the best fights the PBC has given us over these few years. The UFC did it, and it helped them tremendously with their popularity. It's time for boxing to get fans to become fans of the sport as opposed to fighters.

Comment

True but reports are saying Haymon purses are being lowered. Hell, they had to get rid of Marv and SRL (not that I minded) on Sat. So the purses might not be as much.
              The PBC might have lowered their purses, but I don't know that Guerrero would lower his asking price.

Would Guerrero really fight Spence for less than he made against Martinez and Kamegai?

If he doesn't lower it, Spence-Guerero could cost around $1.5 milion, if not more.

If the PBC purses are indeed lowered, then maybe it just pushes Spence-Guerrero to SHO.
              Last edited by Mitchell Kane; 04-18-2016, 04:30 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post
                What does Thurs night have to do with anything?? The numbers were terrible for Sat nights standards. It's low even by PBC's own standards (which is lowering the bar lol). Again reruns by the big 4 networks on sat nights pull over 1mil ratings. PBC spending far more money just to get ratings reruns which cost the networks little money get. NBC finished dead last this sat night because they aired Boxing. Last 2 prior weekends NBC aired Dateline and Figure skating, and Dateline and reruns of old SNL during this same time as PBC. They got 4.6mil viewers for Dateline and 2.7mil for Figure Skating, and 4.7mil viewers for Dateline and 2.9mil for SNL. FOX just this weekend got 2X what PBC got, CBS and ABC got 3-4X the ratings. There is no spin needed NBC got creamed in the ratings it's that simple. And this is now what the 5th straight PBC card on NBC that has seen a record low in ratings. Each worse then the one before. Bad trend when every show since it's debut sets a new all time low rating.
                The Saturday audience is significantly smaller than the TV audience on any other day of the week; home availabilities means jack and **** when you remember that the audience on Saturdays rarely goes over 10m total homes.

PBC "spending far more money just to get ratings re-runs get" is of little consequence currently because NBC isn't paying the money, PBC is. Even with that, the PBC airing is still positioned to generate more money than simply airing Dateline or a re-run of some show (the 18-49 numbers for PBC have consistently held up, regardless of what the top line number is, and advertisers care far more about the 18-54 number than anything).

The night of fights was good, the viewership for the show (as has been the case for basically every PBC show so far) grew throughout the night and peaked for the fight that PBC wanted the audience to see, and the commercials are regularly being sold.

Ortiz-Berto is the next PBC fight card for terrestrial TV, the weekend of 4/30 isn't as jampacked with sports to compete for eyeballs with (Stanley Cup Playoffs and an NBA Playoff game on cable). I look forward to seeing you try to trash those numbers as well, lol.

Comment

... Haymon wasn't paying for Marv and SRL, NBC was. With Marv and SRL seemingly not bringing the gravitas that everyone expected, moving away from them didn't really impact the program (having three lesser known guys, but guys excited about boxing and knowledgeable about the fighters, actually helped the feel of things to me).

Ortiz-Berto is two weeks away; let's see what those purses look like.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fetta View Post
                    Scherzer is the best pitcher they have but Gonzales and Strasburg are legit too. That team is stacked.

Harper is the future of baseball. Remember hearing about him at 15. Kid a phenom.

My buddy and I argue who is the best young player and i say Harper he says Trout. Both good
                    I don't disagree with that; was simply making the point that, were Bryce harper to leave the Nationals, there's enough other talent there that 1)the team would still be really good and 2)though some folks may leave with Harper, the impact on the paying audience to see the Nationals plays isn't as sizable as the Leon cat would have folks believe.

Comment

I don't disagree with that; was simply making the point that, were Bryce harper to leave the Nationals, there's enough other talent there that 1)the team would still be really good and 2)though some folks may leave with Harper, the impact on the paying audience to see the Nationals plays isn't as sizable as the Leon cat would have folks believe.
                      Oh yeah i knew what you meant. Just saw an opportunity to talk baseball and i took it

Comment

Working...
                      X