No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Spence-Algieri PBC Card Draws TV Average of 1.24 Million

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
    I get it, you are happy that PBC's ratings are not huge. Spence just put on a dominant performance in his most viewed fight to date. History shows that fighters that do this tend to see improved ratings the next time out, especially if they fight a named opponent.

You disagree and cite recent ratings history of PBC. You hope PBC continues to do poorly so it gets cancelled and HBO has the boxing spotlight to itself.

It is very weird to see a self described boxing fan celebrate poor ratings on boxing shows but I understand why you post the way you do.
    I have not once questioned Spence's performance he looked great. What I'm saying is PBC has proven that NONE of their ratings carry over. Especially ones on NBC. Every fighter who fought last year on NBC got way worse ratings their next fight on NBC or any other PBC network. So why would Spence be the one to buck that trend? We can love boxing all we want but trying to polish a turd and call it gold is foolish to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mitchell Kane View Post
      2015 - 32,343 (Nationals missed playoffs, Harper wins MVP)
      2014 - 31,844 (Nationals have best record in NL)
      2013 - 32,745 (Nationals missed playoffs)
      2012 - 30,010 (Nationals have best record in NL)
      2011 - 24,877 (Nationals missed playoffs)
      2010 - 22,568 (Nationals missed playoffs)
      2009 - 22,715 (Nationals missed playoffs)
      Lol, that settled that. But hes gonna come back and say it was the team they came to see, not Bryce. Just like people bought tickets to see the Lakers, not Kobe.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post
        I have not once questioned Spence's performance he looked great. What I'm saying is PBC has proven that NONE of their ratings carry over. Especially ones on NBC. Every fighter who fought last year on NBC got way worse ratings their next fight on NBC or any other PBC network. So why would Spence be the one to buck that trend? We can love boxing all we want but trying to polish a turd and call it gold is foolish to me.
        I explained why twice. If you disagree, fine.

Comment

• Also what is on matters as well. If it a marquee NBA playoffs game like the finals then most people will watch that. Nothing will compete with Curry vs Lebron in the finals.

Comment

• Originally posted by North Star View Post
            That was a really good UFC card that PBC was up against.
            It was a good card, but it went through a lot of changes due to injuries, drugs, etc.

Which goes to something that the UFC has that the PBC is still trying to build...brand stength.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post
              Because avg ratings for these networks during this time is about more then 2-3X that. There are reruns of old shows that get better ratings. Do people realize how many homes NBC is in? SMH
              lol it's a Saturday night! Pigeons has done an excellent job of keeping log of the TV numbers.

From 8pm to 11pm (the PBC show didn't start till 8:30pm and Spence's fight was over well before 11pm, but whatever), how many TVs were actually watching terrestrial TV (FOX/NBC/CBS/ABC)?

Across the four channels, roughly 10m homes tuned in Saturday night. Compare that to just this past Thursday (not an overly impressive night of TV, imo), when the homes watching terrestrial TV (FOX/NBC/CBS/ABC) were over 25m homes watching at 8pm, and over 15m homes for the 9pm hour (FOX goes to whatever's in the local market at 10pm, so the audience numbers for that hour aren't present).

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...april-14-2016/

In case you didn't know, folks actually keep records for TV audience (logs go a ways back to); to simply just state that the audience is 2X-3X bigger, and not even attempt to back that up with anything, is laughable.

Comment

2015 - 32,343 (Nationals missed playoffs, Harper wins MVP)
                2014 - 31,844 (Nationals have best record in NL)
                2013 - 32,745 (Nationals missed playoffs)
                2012 - 30,010 (Nationals have best record in NL)
                2011 - 24,877 (Nationals missed playoffs)
                2010 - 22,568 (Nationals missed playoffs)
                2009 - 22,715 (Nationals missed playoffs)
                Thanks. So, in isolation, you're basically looking at a move of about 10k paying fans per game after the arrival of Bryce Harper (though I'd also imagine that the team being better and having Gonzalez/Strasburg also coming on board didn't hurt things).

If Harper were to walk in free agency, I simply don't see 10k paying fans per game walking with him

Comment

• Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                  1.2 million people watched Spence on NBC in his 1st main event headliner. If they put him in with Ghost, Broner or the Ortiz/Berto winner next, I expect that number to increase given the opponent name value and the performance Spence put on.
                  Guerrero will probably bring a bigger audience than Algieri, but he'll want to get paid for bringing that additional audience in.

Guerrero has been doing million dollar pay days post-Mayweather:

$1.2 million for Garcia (PBC)
                  $1 million for Martinez (PBC)
                  $1.225 million for Thurman (PBC)
                  $1 million for Kamegai (SHO)

Those purses are about twice what it cost just to make Spence-Algieri ($550k), and roughly three times what Algieri was paid ($325k).

Comment

• Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
                    lol it's a Saturday night! Pigeons has done an excellent job of keeping log of the TV numbers.

From 8pm to 11pm (the PBC show didn't start till 8:30pm and Spence's fight was over well before 11pm, but whatever), how many TVs were actually watching terrestrial TV (FOX/NBC/CBS/ABC)?

Across the four channels, roughly 10m homes tuned in Saturday night. Compare that to just this past Thursday (not an overly impressive night of TV, imo), when the homes watching terrestrial TV (FOX/NBC/CBS/ABC) were over 25m homes watching at 8pm, and over 15m homes for the 9pm hour (FOX goes to whatever's in the local market at 10pm, so the audience numbers for that hour aren't present).

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...april-14-2016/

In case you didn't know, folks actually keep records for TV audience (logs go a ways back to); to simply just state that the audience is 2X-3X bigger, and not even attempt to back that up with anything, is laughable.
                    What does Thurs night have to do with anything?? The numbers were terrible for Sat nights standards. It's low even by PBC's own standards (which is lowering the bar lol). Again reruns by the big 4 networks on sat nights pull over 1mil ratings. PBC spending far more money just to get ratings reruns which cost the networks little money get. NBC finished dead last this sat night because they aired Boxing. Last 2 prior weekends NBC aired Dateline and Figure skating, and Dateline and reruns of old SNL during this same time as PBC. They got 4.6mil viewers for Dateline and 2.7mil for Figure Skating, and 4.7mil viewers for Dateline and 2.9mil for SNL. FOX just this weekend got 2X what PBC got, CBS and ABC got 3-4X the ratings. There is no spin needed NBC got creamed in the ratings it's that simple. And this is now what the 5th straight PBC card on NBC that has seen a record low in ratings. Each worse then the one before. Bad trend when every show since it's debut sets a new all time low rating.
                    Last edited by bigdunny1; 04-18-2016, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Guerrero will probably bring a bigger audience than Algieri, but he'll want to get paid for bringing that additional audience in.

Guerrero has been doing million dollar pay days post-Mayweather:

$1.2 million for Garcia (PBC)
                      $1 million for Martinez (PBC)
                      $1.225 million for Thurman (PBC)
                      $1 million for Kamegai (SHO)

Those purses are about twice what it cost just to make Spence-Algieri ($550k), and roughly three times what Algieri was paid ($325k).
                      True but reports are saying Haymon purses are being lowered. Hell, they had to get rid of Marv and SRL (not that I minded) on Sat. So the purses might not be as much.

Comment

Working...
                      X