Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did Joseph Parker do that's better than Hughie Fury?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Beyonce Bomber View Post
    As, I said, I've already watched it more than once, and I just don't get what you want me to see that squares with your odd assessment.

Were there stretches in the fight where one or the other guy was jabbing off the backfoot? Of course there were, but the same can be said for almost any fight that goes on for more than a few rounds. You could find sections of Lyle Foreman where that happens, but they wouldn't be remotely representative of the whole fight.

The HL vid more or less sums up how the fight went down, stretches of boxing followed by phonebooth style fighting with lots of uppercuts, bodywork and the like. Both guys hurt on several occasions.

Don't puss out of the discussion saying I don't understand what cagey means. I know exactly what it means, and have provided examples of fights that fit that definition. You're the one who seems to have a unique definition of the word, and can't handle the fact that literally no one else sees things the same way. There's a word for that as well.
    You might know what it means, we clearly have different definitions of it then. For me, boxing with nothing much happening for 7-8 rounds except for small spells of exchanges is cagey. You can take any fight and boil it down to 2 minutes and tell me it was a war or back and forth action.

This was simply not it. This was a cagey affair - Takam not taking many risks, Povetkin being ineffective before the guard dropped a bit and he took him out. '

Cagey.

Comment

• Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
      Where did I get "owned"?

You know that saying it doesn't make it true, right?
      Anyone can pull this thread up around the world and verify your phaggotry strewn across these internet pages.

Shameful and embarrassing. Imagine someone you know reading this.

Comment

• Originally posted by ( . Y . ) View Post
        Anyone can pull this thread up around the world and verify your phaggotry strewn across these internet pages.

He's just arguing for the sake of arguing. Stop feeding him and he'll stop making himself look like a 'tard.
        Tis amusing though.

Comment

And since when can a cagey affair not be close?
          I'm not saying because it was close it couldn't be cagey FFS. I'm saying it wasn't cagey full stop. The fact that it was close was irrelevant except to illustrate the fact that it was competitive, which it was.

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
          As I said, Povetkin was ineffective for most of the fight, but pressing the action. Takam was fighting off the back foot with solid defense which made Povetkin's work ineffective. He countered well sometimes.

And? It was still cagey and not a lot happened for large portions of the fight.
          Of course there were lulls. It was a ten round heavyweight fight, fought at a relatively high pace. You're not going to have non-stop punching from the opening bell. That doesn't equal cagey, however.

Both fighters pressed the action, with Povetkin pressing a little more, and Takam adopting more of a counter-puncher role. But you could find just as many instances where Takam initiated an attack instead of Povetkin, or Povetkin fighting off the backfoot to a pressing Takam. Neither fighter fought recklessly but nor were they reticent to come at each other or throw big, full bodied shots when in range to do so.

Takam's jab was an especially potent weapon. Povetkin would get driven back by the force of it, letting Takam step into his wheelhouse and go to work on the body and head, before stepping out again. He did this throughout the entire fight, up until the time he got hurt. A very far cry from the image you're trying to paint of him as some sort of sub-Kevin Johnson clone.

Comment

You might know what it means, we clearly have different definitions of it then. For me, boxing with nothing much happening for 7-8 rounds except for small spells of exchanges is cagey. You can take any fight and boil it down to 2 minutes and tell me it was a war or back and forth action.

This was simply not it. This was a cagey affair - Takam not taking many risks, Povetkin being ineffective before the guard dropped a bit and he took him out. '

Cagey.
            Wlad vs Haye
            Wlad vs Fury
            Wlad vs Ibragimov

Those are fights I consider cagey. Neither man willing to engage for fear of leaving an opening for the other. Very few landed punches. Lots of posturing, feinting, second guessing.

Povetkin vs Takam does not fit that description. At all.

Comment

Yes they can. They'd seen me school a bunch of kids in boxing.
              Originally posted by mlac View Post
              He's just arguing for the sake of arguing. Stop feeding him and he'll stop making himself look like a 'tard.
              Tis amusing though.
              What was amusing is that you said Parker had fought "far better" opposition than Hughie, yet didn't wan to discuss why. Called you out on it and got a bunch of green k for my trouble.

Then you try to tell me Povetkin vs Takam was an all out war What a joke.

Comment

Yes they can. They'd seen me school a bunch of kids in boxing.

Originally posted by mlac View Post
                Tis amusing though.
                What was amusing is that you said Parker had fought "far better" opposition than Hughie, yet didn't wan to discuss why. Called you out on it and got a bunch of green k for my trouble.

Then you try to tell me Povetkin vs Takam was an all out war What a joke.

Comment

I'm not saying because it was close it couldn't be cagey FFS. I'm saying it wasn't cagey full stop. The fact that it was close was irrelevant except to illustrate the fact that it was competitive, which it was.

Of course there were lulls. It was a ten round heavyweight fight, fought at a relatively high pace. You're not going to have non-stop punching from the opening bell. That doesn't equal cagey, however.

Both fighters pressed the action, with Povetkin pressing a little more, and Takam adopting more of a counter-puncher role. But you could find just as many instances where Takam initiated an attack instead of Povetkin, or Povetkin fighting off the backfoot to a pressing Takam. Neither fighter fought recklessly but nor were they reticent to come at each other or throw big, full bodied shots when in range to do so.

Takam's jab was an especially potent weapon. Povetkin would get driven back by the force of it, letting Takam step into his wheelhouse and go to work on the body and head, before stepping out again. He did this throughout the entire fight, up until the time he got hurt. A very far cry from the image you're trying to paint of him as some sort of sub-Kevin Johnson clone.
                  If it's irrelevant then why did you bring it up?

It wasn't fought at a particularly high pace. that's crap.

Both fighters did not press the action no.

And I'm not painting Takam as Kevin Johnson.

Comment

Wlad vs Haye
                    Wlad vs Fury
                    Wlad vs Ibragimov

Those are fights I consider cagey. Neither man willing to engage for fear of leaving an opening for the other. Very few landed punches. Lots of posturing, feinting, second guessing.

Povetkin vs Takam does not fit that description. At all.
                    I'm sure your scope of horizon for cagey affairs could extend beyond crappy Wladimir Klitschko fights.

Comment

Just saw Joseph Parker has been included in the top 10 heavyweights according to Ring Magazine.

I honestly only recognize 1 name on his resume, this Irineu Costa who's pretty much the guy British level guys are fighting on their way up.

That's it.

Looking at Hughie Fury, he's been in with some recognizable gatekeepers. Danny hughes, Rudenko, Arias (who took Pulev the distance) and Dominic Guinn who fought everyone.

How the hell is Joseph Parker ahead of Hughie in the rankings?

On top of that, Hughie is a world amateur champion and has more fights than Parker.

What do you think?
                      He has more power than Fury, the boxing press fall in love with guys that can punch.

Comment

Working...
                      X