No announcement yet.

Is the IBO a world title?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, it is.

The alleged superiority of the WBA, WBO, IBF, and WBC titles should have to be justified. It shouldn't just be assumed. And the truth is when you really look at them those organisations and the shit they do it's hard to make the argument they have any legitimacy at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
      Yes, it is.

The alleged superiority of the WBA, WBO, IBF, and WBC titles should have to be justified. It shouldn't just be assumed. And the truth is when you really look at them those organisations and the shit they do it's hard to make the argument they have any legitimacy at all.
      This sounds good, but there is a quality to the champions of the current agreed upon "world level" alphabet groups that the IBO isn't anywhere close to achieving still. I mean Jeff Mayweather was a IBO champion & in a loaded 147 division Tsiko Mulovhedzi is there current champion.

The troubling part of all this is I do feel like the IBO could enter into the accepted "world level" alphabet group titles to give us 5 "world champions" much easier than a current alphabet group could get usurped by the IBO.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
        This is the biggest problem with anything in boxing. Too many chiefs not even indians. Everyone trying to be a boss in boxing. Boxing needs some big dog centralized power to come in & KTFO of the current warlords running their own lil corners of the boxing world. That'll get one champion in every division & all these IBF's, WBC's & even IBO's outta business.

There needs to be an NFL of boxing that sets the standard of the sport. Til that happens there is always gonna be a ton of **** from silly to highly corrupt going on in boxing that effects it negatively & hurts its overall appeal to the masses greatly.
        I think that boxing is too big to try to emulate the UFC model.(you mention NFL but UFC I think that is most indicated referred to boxing).

Comment

I never expected that so many people do not recognize WBO belt.

I am a fan of boxing since 2012 and this really shock me.

Comment

Originally posted by BoliviaChiLEsp View Post
            I think that boxing is too big to try to emulate the UFC model.(you mention NFL but UFC I think that is most indicated referred to boxing).
            I think football is bigger than boxing & that has been made to work. Granted it has more of a built in structure from high school to college to the NFL although its not like it always worked like that, but my main point is structurally all you need is the top 300-500 or so fighters under the same umbrella & you can control the sport. I mean look at what HBO Boxing had made possible at their height. They represented elite professional boxing like this fictional entity I'm suggesting they just didn't do anything with it. If HBO Boxing had been willing & able to influence the sport more instead of just showing it they'd have been an NFL of boxing legitly.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
              Yes, it is.

I guess the so-called 'alleged superiority' manifests itself as recognition from nearly every major Boxing media outlet, the IBHOF (and minor state/country HoF's) and arguably most of the hardcore fanbase. When its so widely accepted, I guess its not so much an assumption but the norm..

But you're right on the legitimacy part. Lineal titles are just as illegitimate. Consensus is and always will be the kingmaker. But look at it this way. You can call yourself a recognised world champion (watered down term now, I concede) if you hold one of the big four. Can you do the same for an IBO champion? Not really. Its a stepping stone, or an extra belt.

Comment

No...but im sure they will make it one very soon just like they did the WBO

Comment

Originally posted by IFightDirty View Post
                  I believe it isn't. When you look up Zab Judahs and Cory Spinks reign as undisputed WW champ, they weren't holding the WBO.
                  WBO was not recognized at that time as a major title

Comment

Originally posted by larrys.o.g View Post
                    WBO was not recognized at that time as a major title
                    When did WBO belt recognized as a major title?

Comment

Originally posted by BoliviaChiLEsp View Post
                      When did WBO belt recognized as a major title?
                      Wlad and Calzaghe made the title legit if i am not mistaken...kinda like Holmes made the IBF legit

Comment

Working...
                      X