Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"SOG" Ward vs "King" Krusher Kovalev @ 175 lbs / 12.5 stone: Who wins?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Weltschmerz View Post
    Nope. And Kovalev already boxed a master. I'm just happy Ward took this one, I didn't totally count on it. I can see him frustrate Sergey though and I didn't pick a winner yet, either.
    ... Yes, I agree: Ward is that good and intelligent that he is able to "frustrate" almost anybody. But "frustrating" the opponent doesn't necessary lead to a "win". I also know that, in case things don't go in his favor, Ward would be able to somehow "sink" the fight -- but I don't mind...

Comment

• How does a loss to kovalev affect wards P4P rating?

Once a fighter takes a loss, the aura goes and the CV becomes more scrutinised. Many on this site rate andre ward as one of the best (if not the best fighter) in the sport. But can ward be considered a 'top' fighter with a loss to kovalev? If you look at his record he has one good name on the record, carl froch who he beat by 1 round (who taylor was very very close to beating and direll arguably beat). He beat Kessler with an unbelievably dirty game plan, and kessler was never the same after calzaghe beat him very clearly.
      There is not a single half decent name on his record in 5 years. If ward loses this, his first test for many many years, is ward worthy of a P4P top 10 place?
      Please discuss...

Comment

• Well he would have fought his first good opponent in 4 years and lost.

He wouldn't be on the p4p list. He shouldn't be anyway. You can't go nearly half a decade fighting tune up's and mis-matches and still be on a p4p list. How far back can we go putting fighters in on their former glories? Can we put Shane Mosley in there cos he was in there about 6 years ago after beating Margarito? of course not.

Ward shouldn't be on any p4p list until he beats a top fighter again.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigdramashow View Post
          How does a loss to kovalev affect wards P4P rating?

Once a fighter takes a loss, the aura goes and the CV becomes more scrutinised. Many on this site rate andre ward as one of the best (if not the best fighter) in the sport. But can ward be considered a 'top' fighter with a loss to kovalev? If you look at his record he has one good name on the record, carl froch who he beat by 1 round (who taylor was very very close to beating and direll arguably beat). He beat Kessler with an unbelievably dirty game plan, and kessler was never the same after calzaghe beat him very clearly.
          There is not a single half decent name on his record in 5 years. If ward loses this, his first test for many many years, is ward worthy of a P4P top 10 place?
          Please discuss...
          I don't know.
          ... because Ward's P$P rating is based on his "+/- ratio" -- ratio which is related to his last 6 fights (i.e. a 6 years span)... I don't know...

Comment

• If he loses badly, he'll drop way down and possibly off, I think. He is kind of on the list based off what he once did, and a bad loss to Kovalev would suggest he's not worthy anymore.

If it's close, then I doubt he falls far. When two of the 5 best fighters in the world fight and one wins a tough fight, why would the loser drop far? Same thing with Kovalev. A close loss doesn't mean the loser isn't one of the 5 best fighters in the world anymore. It just means they weren't quite as good as arguably the best fighter in the world.

Comment

• Originally posted by deathofaclown View Post
              Well he would have fought his first good opponent in 4 years and lost.

He wouldn't be on the p4p list. He shouldn't be anyway. You can't go nearly half a decade fighting tune up's and mis-matches and still be on a p4p list. How far back can we go putting fighters in on their former glories? Can we put Shane Mosley in there cos he was in there about 6 years ago after beating Margarito? of course not.

Ward shouldn't be on any p4p list until he beats a top fighter again.
              yeah I agree, hes not on my P4P list for that reason, but consensus on here is that he should be on it and somehow hes top of many peoples lists.

Comment

• He would have to drop out of it for me if he loses unless its razor close or controversial. But a clear loss would see him drop out of the list altogether.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigdramashow View Post
                  Please discuss...
                  Maybe he'll move up to HW and fight a Klitschko like he claimed he would?

Comment

• Kovalev is the best boxer in the world in my eyes, so it wouldn't be that much of a disaster for Ward. It does depend on how it goes though, because if he loses he should atleast make it competitive enough for a trilogy. This is the type of matchup that needs 2 or 3 fights for boxing history.

Comment

• Ward by U/D - Kovalek is too stiff, can't remember which fight but he nearly buckled on his own feet. The guy hasn't got much besides power behind him. Will be a good fight to watch either way. Been waiting for this for awhile.

Comment

Working...
                      X