Insight into why Fat Dan Rafael hates Haymon fighters and PBC

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Part 2 is up.

http://******.craveonline.com/news/4...haymon-part-ii

Hauser covers some familiar territory with Lamon Brewster.

Also goes intot he financial sisutations with promoters and fighters:

Haymon purports to be a manager. But he functions as the de facto promoter for virtually all of the shows on which his fighters appear. He negotiates with the television networks, selects most of the fighters who appear on the card, determines purses for the featured fighters and tells the promoter of record how much the promoter will be paid.

“I don’t know how much money was raised, I don’t know how much money was spent and I don’t care,” Leon Margules said of a recent PBC card for which he was the promoter of record. “That’s Al’s job.”

One can argue that the Ali Act was designed to protect fighters and, thus, Haymon’s blurring of the line between managing and promoting is inconsequential. Other legal issues are more problematic.

Haymon seems to be engaging in some of the same questionable practices as other managers and promoters.

For example; Keith Thurman’s purse as reported to the Florida State Athletic Commission in conjunction with his July 11, 2015, PBC fight against Luis Collazo was $1.5 million. But Thurman told Dan Rafael of ESPN.com that Haymon gave him a check for an additional $1.2 million.

The purses filed with the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board for the Aug. 15, 2015, PBC fight between Antonio Tarver and Steve Cunningham were listed as $250,000 for each fighter. But Tarver is said to have received a total of $500,000. And a source close to Cunningham says that the fighter was paid an additional $100,000 as an advance.

Haymon isn’t the first person in boxing to be mentioned in conjunction with differing sets of contracts and inaccurate filings with state athletic commissions. But if an inaccurate filing occurs, the tax consequences can be significant. And it might affect payments to third parties based on contract percentage splits.
    Also goes into the Top Rank case:

Top Rank has served discovery demands on the Haymon defendants and close to a dozen other individuals and corporate en****** including Waddell & Reed, Ryan Caldwell, Richard Schaefer and several local promoters that Haymon has been using to promote PBC events. Similar requests for discovery from the television networks that Haymon has been doing business with are expected shortly. To date, Top Rank’s discovery demands (and those of Golden Boy) have been met by a laundry list of objections with the apparent aim of delaying, if not outright obstructing, discovery.

A source close to Haymon says, “So far, Al is resisting discovery. But if discovery really goes forward, he’s going to go after every piece of paper that involves Top Rank’s relationship with Manny Pacquiao. Al takes pride in the fact that his representation of Mayweather is the antithesis of the way Arum has dealt with Pacquiao. And yes, I know that Arum is Pacquiao’s promoter, not his manager, so he has a different fiduciary duty. But that doesn’t relieve him of the obligation to give Pacquiao an honest accounting. And by the way, why should Michael Koncz (Pacquiao’s business advisor) get a free pass?”

This could get ugly.

Comment

Originally posted by Pigeons View Post
      This is from the RING. Part 1 of Thomas Hauser's expose on Al Haymon's life which will surely turn into Hauser defaming Haymon.
      Hauser has yet to be sued so I buy into what he writes.

Also, I really don't think Dan has done anything particular with Hyamon fighters. Give me some examples .

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post

Also, I really don't think Dan has done anything particular with Hyamon fighters. Give me some examples .
        He's always speculating, so hard to sue him. And he got slapped silly by USADA too. Again, his last article called for Haymon to be hanged. His credibilty isn't what it was and those who he writes about care very little.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post

Cause you cant sue someone for saying "that he heard" or "sources tell me"

Hauser is a shill and nothing more

Kevin Iole just put out an article on him today and how he works for HBO

Comment

Originally posted by Fetta View Post
            Link please?

Comment

Originally posted by Fetta View Post
              Cause you cant sue someone for saying "that he heard" or "sources tell me"

Hauser is a shill and nothing more

Iole nailed it:

http://keviniole.com/post/1414872018...ure-a-paid-hbo

Comment

Originally posted by Pigeons View Post

This tweet pissed me off so much. He posted this non-journalistic bull**** based off his own opinion and pessimism. Lance Pugmire from LA Times was the most reliable source during that whole negotiation.

Comment

Originally posted by Razcal26 View Post
                  Link please?
                  There it is. Courtesy of Sweet Jones. Also aboput.thousands has it on another thread he created for this Hauser thing

Originally posted by Sweet Jones View Post
                  Yes he did

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                    He's always speculating, so hard to sue him. And he got slapped silly by USADA too. Again, his last article called for Haymon to be hanged. His credibilty isn't what it was and those who he writes about care very little.
                    You're right about that. I lost respect for him after the whole Mayweather doping scandal which in the end didn't really shed light on a damn thing. He has done some incredible work over the years, though and he's the last of a dying breed (we simply do not have any other investigative journalists in boxing). I haven't read Part II yet, but I hope this series is far better than his previous Mayweather piece. I think its about time someone did some serious digging on Haymon and his practice, obviously it remains to be seen if this is quality work or not.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS View Post
                      You're right about that. I lost respect for him after the whole Mayweather doping scandal which in the end didn't really shed light on a damn thing. He has done some incredible work over the years, though and he's the last of a dying breed (we simply do not have any other investigative journalists in boxing). I haven't read Part II yet, but I hope this series is far better than his previous Mayweather piece. I think its about time someone did some serious digging on Haymon and his practice, obviously it remains to be seen if this is quality work or not.
                      This series will be like every other. He'll throw in some crazy speculation in the final couple articles that will drive some people crazy but it will blow over because his agenda is obvious and his info is disingenuous at best.

I don't knock Hauser, he's getting paid to do what he's doing -- even if some of the stuff is cringe-worthy and borderline creepy. I feel sorry for those who buy into it and I laugh at the posters who've been praying for PBC's downfall.

Comment

Working...
                      X