Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HBO only offering $1 Million for Walters-Lomanchenko?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Punch,

You're really starting to lose it man. I don't know if you're having personal problems or what is going on, but you've let yourself turn into such a negative and bitter guy.

YOU are the one that wrote that you didn't have to resort to making silly accusations about my motives even though you had done EXACTLY THAT earlier in this thread! So not only have you allowed yourself to turn into an *******, but you clearly don't even realize it.

Then when it's pointed out to you, you blame it on something I said on page 18 . . . EVEN THOUGH YOUR COMMENT WAS ON PAGE *10*!!!

I mean, seriously? You're accusing ME of starting this even though your post was 8 pages before mine? What sense does that make?

This is a pointless conversation if you're only interested in petty insults and don't really want to have a conversation.

You say that monopolies are bad for everyone, but in sports, they are not bad for the fans. Do you really think fans would prefer to have LeBron, Durant, Curry and Wade in four different leagues while almost never playing each other?

Fans watch sports because they want to see the best face the best. The best facing the best on a regular basis usually requires some sort of all powerful monopoly. Whether it's the Olympics, FIFA, the NFL or whatever else.

Do boxing fans prefer having four world champions or do they wish there was one? Well you can't have one without a monopoly.

Comment

• Originally posted by original zero View Post
      One Punch,

You're really starting to lose it man. I don't know if you're having personal problems or what is going on, but you've let yourself turn into such a negative and bitter guy.

YOU are the one that wrote that you didn't have to resort to making silly accusations about my motives even though you had done EXACTLY THAT earlier in this thread! So not only have you allowed yourself to turn into an *******, but you clearly don't even realize it.

Then when it's pointed out to you, you blame it on something I said on page 18 . . . EVEN THOUGH YOUR COMMENT WAS ON PAGE *10*!!!

I mean, seriously? You're accusing ME of starting this even though your post was 8 pages before mine? What sense does that make?

This is a pointless conversation if you're only interested in petty insults and don't really want to have a conversation.

You say that monopolies are bad for everyone, but in sports, they are not bad for the fans. Do you really think fans would prefer to have LeBron, Durant, Curry and Wade in four different leagues while almost never playing each other?

Fans watch sports because they want to see the best face the best. The best facing the best on a regular basis usually requires some sort of all powerful monopoly. Whether it's the Olympics, FIFA, the NFL or whatever else.

Do boxing fans prefer having four world champions or do they wish there was one? Well you can't have one without a monopoly.

again with the insults. What a surprise.

I know you find it hard to believe that someone can actually disagree with YOU, being that you are Mr. big time business expert, but yes, it happens.

Just keep reminding yourself (and the rest of us) of how many businesses you own, and it will all be ok. And keep comparing team sports (that have built-in regional audiences, well established leagues, and anti-trust exemptions) to individual one-on-one sports.

Or better yet, get out your checkbook and invest your millions with good ol' uncle Al. See how that works out for ya lol

Comment

• One Punch -

There wasn't a single insult in my post, let alone multiple. You appear to now view everything in the most negative light possible, which is why I'm showing concern for you. That's not an insult. That's compassion. Clearly something is going on. You didn't used to act this way.

Has nothing to do with you disagreeing with me. Has to do with you having such a horrible attitude and becoming such a grumpy person. And apparently being so unaware of it that you claim to not say the exact things you're saying. It's utterly bizarre.

You now have multiple posts in this thread mentioning that I own several businesses, something I haven't mentioned at all. Why does that bother you? If you're truly at peace with the fact that you weren't able to make any money in boxing and instead lost money, why does it bother you that my businesses have been successful? Something you keep bringing up randomly when it has nothing to do with what is being discussed and nobody else, including myself, had mentioned it.

I addressed the merits of your arguments and instead of attacking my arguments, you continue to attack me (while ignoring all of my questions in the process). Are you simply incapable of a civil intelligent conversation? If so, wouldn't that add credence to my suspicion that you're having personal problems?

Anti-trust exemptions may change what is legal, but it doesn't change what is best for fans. So nothing you wrote counters my argument that in sports, a monopoly is not only best for owners, it's best for the fans as well.

UFC is not a team sport. Is it your claim that it would be better for fans if UFC's roster got split among four organizations and they refused to fight each other?

Do you even know what your point is or do you just dislike Haymon so much that you have to automatically disagree with me since I've praised Haymon at times?

You've clearly got a major chip on your shoulder and every reply from you seems to spiral further into whatever deep hole you're in. You were once a beloved figure on this site. Why have you become so self destructive?

Comment

One Punch -

There wasn't a single insult in my post, let alone multiple. You appear to now view everything in the most negative light possible, which is why I'm showing concern for you. That's not an insult. That's compassion. Clearly something is going on. You didn't used to act this way.

Has nothing to do with you disagreeing with me. Has to do with you having such a horrible attitude and becoming such a grumpy person. And apparently being so unaware of it that you claim to not say the exact things you're saying. It's utterly bizarre.

You now have multiple posts in this thread mentioning that I own several businesses, something I haven't mentioned at all. Why does that bother you? If you're truly at peace with the fact that you weren't able to make any money in boxing and instead lost money, why does it bother you that my businesses have been successful? Something you keep bringing up randomly when it has nothing to do with what is being discussed and nobody else, including myself, had mentioned it.

I addressed the merits of your arguments and instead of attacking my arguments, you continue to attack me (while ignoring all of my questions in the process). Are you simply incapable of a civil intelligent conversation? If so, wouldn't that add credence to my suspicion that you're having personal problems?

Anti-trust exemptions may change what is legal, but it doesn't change what is best for fans. So nothing you wrote counters my argument that in sports, a monopoly is not only best for owners, it's best for the fans as well.

UFC is not a team sport. Is it your claim that it would be better for fans if UFC's roster got split among four organizations and they refused to fight each other?

Do you even know what your point is or do you just dislike Haymon so much that you have to automatically disagree with me since I've praised Haymon at times?

You've clearly got a major chip on your shoulder and every reply from you seems to spiral further into whatever deep hole you're in. You were once a beloved figure on this site. Why have you become so self destructive?
          we all know that under your previous alt "Saint Laurance" or whatever, you started every reply with "I own several businesses so therefore I am the be-all and end-all authority on anything business". You really seem quite enthralled with your resume. Thats great. Im happy for you. It might mean something to girls in the strip club, but in the REAL world it means diddly squat. And the fact that you felt the need to create a new alt speaks volumes. Are you so embarrassed about your opinions that you must cloak them in anonymity?

And do you have some sort of reading-comprehension problem? Is that where your boasting comes from, perhaps overcompensating for a history of riding the short bus? You keep spouting the same psycho-babble in every reply. Its actually kind of funny, but more in a sad way. Im trying not to laugh at you, but its quite difficult. Mr. big-shot businessman, replying again and again and again, with zero actual substance.

And yes, I now view YOU in the most negative light possible, because you are a complete douche. You cant debate the underlying issue we disagree on, so your only recourse is to resort to the "why so mad?" path. Not uncommon. If you cant attack the message, attack the messenger. Whatever floats your boat.

But one point I will reply to is your mention of UFC and the "team sport" thing. No, UFC is not a team sport. But UFC was able to buy up most of its relevant competition (Strikeforce, etc). Haymon TRIED to buy Golden Boy, and failed. That was only ONE of many promotional competitors, and in only ONE geographical market. Not exactly the best way to take over an industry.

Comment

Haymon is in the leverage business. He was able to use his leverage to get Khan and Wade big paydays far beyond what they're actually worth. Because the HBO island is desperate and shrinking.

And if EITHER of his fighters are successful, it's a HUGE damaging blow to HBO.

It's a calculated risk. Possibly sacrificing guys that weren't doing anything for you anyway, getting big money in the process and if either of them happen to win, HBO is ****ed.
            Wow. This guy got a spin for everything. And he's taking this "Haymon taking over boxing" thing way too seriously. For a while I thought he is just day- dreaming. Now he really thinks it's going to happen. It's a fantasy.

HBO boxing is not going to go away. Fact that its not their main bread and butter. It is just bonus to their subscribers, who sign up not because of boxing, but because of their regular programming.

Fact is HBO has already been decapitated, thus marginalized long time ago, when Schaefer took all his fighters with him to Showtime. They may have 2-3 stars right now, but that's about it. I see no reason why Haymon can't implement whatever the hell he wants to. On paper the Haymon monopoly should have already been happening. He's still got Showtime on his side.

Hellooo!! Canelo and Golovkin are not the only fighters you can make stars of. There are literally hundreds of fighters around the world! Which means HBO is irrelevant in the overall grand scheme of things. Haymon doesn't have to wait for its total disappearance. Man, that would take decades.

Reason why Haymon will never succeed is because he's too scared to pit his top fighters against each other. He could have made Khan vs Thurman, for example, which is the more competitive fight than Canelo/Khan. And it would have generated the same interest, if not more. But he didn't.

Matthysse vs Broner could have been made easily, considering Broner called the guy out and Matthysse response, "I hope he's not joking." Interesting part was both were undercards in 2 events fighting other fighters after their respective defeats vs Maidana and Garcia. Finally, the nail was finally hammered on the coffin when Matthysse decided to sign back to GBP. Will we ever see Matthysse vs Broner getting made. No. It's gone forever.

Fast rewind, Guerrero confronted Broner in a parking lot calling his bluff. It ended with Broner saying, "Send me the contract over and I'll sign it." Did anything happen? None. If these guys were UFC fighters, Dana White would have taken advantage of that incident and capitalized on it as a promotional goldmine.

There are just few examples among many.

It became clear that this Haymon personality is just about showcasing stars fighting cab drivers. It's similar to movies where the hero defeats the villain and gets the girl.
            Last edited by al-Xander; 03-18-2016, 11:15 AM.

Comment

• LOL @ OnePunch tripping over his own bitter responses in this thread.

Sad, sad, sad.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sweet Jones View Post
                LOL @ OnePunch tripping over his own bitter responses in this thread.

Sad, sad, sad.
                right, because anyone not on the Haymon dick-riding wagon MUST be "bitter". There is no other possible reason that someone might not like the idea of one person (regardless of who it is) completely taking over the sport lol
                Last edited by OnePunch; 03-18-2016, 11:51 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
                  right, because anyone not on the Haymon dick-riding wagon MUST be "bitter". There is no other possible reason that someone might not like the idea of one person (regardless of who it is) completely taking over the sport lol
                  Exhibit A.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sweet Jones View Post
                    Exhibit A.
                    well then, case closed!!!! lol

Comment

You also can't deny Khan a massive payday in the dying days of the old model while you try to build a new model.

Doesn't benefit Khan at all if Al kills PPV five years from now, but in doing so largely increases the average pay of non-PPV fighters.
                      So you're saying he can't deny Khan a massive payday now, but you're also saying it's Haymon's goal is to eliminate PPV's, which would in effect deny massive paydays to his fighters down the road.

Comment

Working...
                      X