No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Jessie Vargas Drops, Stops Sadam Ali To Capture WBO Crown

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by techliam View Post
    So what you're saying, is that Matchroom works with any promoter where theres interest. Like I said. Whoever the US-based opponent's promoter is, whether its Haymon or Arum. You can see the lack of loyalty to any side, with his biggest fights Froch-Groves 2 and Quigg-Frampton going to separate channels.

What we see overall is a pretty short list of international Matchroom fights, and I don't see any bias for any promoter in particular. Showtime isn't necessarily Haymon, so I dunno why you're claiming Hearn is Haymon-affiliated, enough to explicitly post about it.

I dunno where the idea of bending over for anyone came from. it certainly wasn't me. Bradley-Brook would certainly be in the US on both HBO/Sky Sports (probably Box Office), unless Bradley's stock goes down or Brook becomes some huge star. Hearn's other stars in Joshua and Degale currently fight in divisions where HBO have no notable fighters signed
    Matchroom Sport has done nothing with HBO since June 2014, with seemingly no HBO interest in anything Matchroom Sport since then; if you want to spin that into "Matchroom works with everyone", so be it.

In the last 15 years, the only international broadcasts that HBO shown even passing interest in were for the Klitschko brothers and Golovkin. With Hearn's primary aim being providing content for Sky Sports, why you continue to push "HBO wants Matchroom fights" is beyond me.

Showtime isn't necesarily Haymon, but i make the Hearn-Haymon link for the sheer volume of business that the two parties do together. Kell Brook, Lee Selby, James Degale, Callum Smith(on the verge of being WBC 168 mandatory challenger), Jamie McDonnell, Nathan Cleverly, and others have all been featured on Haymon/PBC shows (with no doubt in my mind that Anthony Joshua, and others, not being all that far behind); with Hearn being focused on building the sport in his home market, Showtime likely looks for fights that break through to the world level.

Lastly, why would Brook-Bradley "certainly be in the US" when 1)Bradley doesn't sell tickets anywhere in the country, 2)the fight isn't PPV in the US [with HBO unlikely to shell out a big rights fee to put it on HBO Championship Boxing], and doing so would air the fight at 2am/3am in the UK?

Brook-Bradley easily puts 17k-18k into the O2 Arena in London, is a fight that would be put on Sky Box Office (15 British pounds per PPV; 600k-700k PPV buys is a fair estimate, imo), and a fight that would air matinee in the US (with the US broadcaster having the option to book a day/night night of fights).

HBO has Fury-Klitschko II, yet no other longterm plays at heavyweight (can count Luis Ortiz if you want; I don't), while also no ties to anything champions at 168 (with Gilberto Ramirez and Jesse Hart as the only 168 prospects that HBO is even looking at). Why would Eddie Hearn skew anyone in his camp to a broadcaster that is barren at the weights where his fighters compete at, especially with a reationship with the party that has access to the bouts for his fighters already working?

HBO has things basically locked up at 140lbs and possibly 160 (with wba champ Daniel Jacobs, Andy Lee, Quillin, Chris Eubank Jr, WBO champ Billy Joe Saunders and others, all outside of the HBO orbit, the move isn't entirely needed). Luckily, Hearn doesn't have much talent at those two weights (Ricky Burns sticking out at 140).

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
      WBC champion: Danny Garcia (Haymon-affilliated)
      [9 of the WBC's top 15 contenders have some tie to Haymon; 3 of the 15 are with Top Rank/Golden Boy]

WBA champion: Keith Thurman (Haymon-affiliated)
      [no mandatory challenger is called for "super" champion]

IBF champion: Kell Brook (Matchroom Sport)
      [Hearn does a ton of business with Haymon, with nearly no business done with HBO; if you can point to an instance, let me know]
      Haymon does have pretty much all the fighters so sample-wise those numbers are Representative. I mean name a good WW that's gb or tr.

Pac-3-3 in last 6 fights

Bradley just gave up belt that was gifted to him.

Ali- Just lost

Vargas-Wbo champ.

Don't see how a non-Haymon fighter makes the list.

Comment

GIF: Jessie Vargas vs. Sadam Ali - First Knockdown tut.

Breaking down the first Knockdown: Ali catches Jessie with the right as Vargas tries to set up going down stairs with a jab, naturally Sadam Ali should look for that shot again so his offense is focused on his right hand now. Jessie paws the overhand on the second attempt ; he sees Ali is leaving the left low (maybe to protect the body). Vargas on the third attempt comes wide with a left hook it connects as Ali leaves the right hand low ( second time Sadam is caught with his hands down) Ali immediately recognizes the error and is fixated on his right hand/right side this time for defensive purposes. Now Jessie see Ali is keeping that side well guarded but has neglected the left guard - Vargas has successfully probed the defense whats about to happen is clear....instead of coming down the pipe immediately with the cross he faints low to see if Ali's left remains there to block a body attack and see the opening.

Comment

Originally posted by SugarKaineHook View Post
          I watched the fight live...I don't need revised highlights to tell me Vargas won a fight he didn't

Comment

Originally posted by 1hourRun View Post

Breaking down the first Knockdown: Ali catches Jessie with the right as Vargas tries to set up going down stairs with a jab, naturally Sadam Ali should look for that shot again so his offense is focused on his right hand now. Jessie paws the overhand on the second attempt ; he sees Ali is leaving the left low (maybe to protect the body). Vargas on the third attempt comes wide with a left hook it connects as Ali leaves the right hand low ( second time Sadam is caught with his hands down) Ali immediately recognizes the error and is fixated on his right hand/right side this time for defensive purposes. Now Jessie see Ali is keeping that side well guarded but has neglected the left guard - Vargas has successfully probed the defense whats about to happen is clear....instead of coming down the pipe immediately with the cross he faints low to see if Ali's left remains there to block a body attack and see the opening.
            Brilliant breakdown!

Comment

Great insight.

Comment

Originally posted by PivotandRoll View Post
                I watched the fight live...I don't need revised highlights to tell me Vargas won a fight he didn't
                you watched it live....

not too sharp on point scoring huh.

UD. Vargas
                Judge: Jerry Roth 113-115
                Judge: Robert Hoyle 111-117
                Judge: Alan Krebs 113-115

Comment

Good stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by PivotandRoll View Post
                    Brilliant breakdown!
                    Originally posted by _original_ View Post
                    Great insight.
                    Originally posted by b00g13man View Post
                    Good stuff.
                    Thanks guys Im a student of the game Im always learning.

Comment

Originally posted by SugarKaineHook View Post
                      you watched it live....

not too sharp on point scoring huh.

UD. Vargas
                      Judge: Jerry Roth 113-115
                      Judge: Robert Hoyle 111-117
                      Judge: Alan Krebs 113-115
                      Oh right, the infallible judges in boxing can't be questioned right?

Comment

Working...
                      X