Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long before HBO drops boxing from their network altogether?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post
    Yes I'm satisfied i like 2 of the 5 fights you named and pac vs bradley might have a stacked undercard so i will reserve judgment on that ppv. HBO has a track record that's why I brought up 2015 because I'm sure people said the same thing in 2015 as you are saying about 2016 and look how big 2015 things ended for HBO. If you are not satisfied with HBO who instead are you satisfied with look at fights that are official in boxing right now for all networks not just HBO. It's early fights are still developing for 2016.
    which means you are not satisfied with 3 of the 5, which suggests overall you are not.

Each signed fighter has a much better matchup that could be made that would be more appreciated by fans.

i am not making any judgements about the year to date or as a whole, just commenting on the fights HBO has set up for its signed fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by PKing View Post
      If $30M makes HBO less than $80 M with boxing and an original series that costs $15M per season can make $200 M, that's called opportunity cost.

Either a potential $400M or a dwindling $70M.... hmmmmmmm
      except is not an "either-or" proposition dummy, they can, and will, do both.......

Comment

Originally posted by djt117 View Post
        Wait so I'm not even going to fact-check those numbers.

Let me just get this straight: you're saying they're going to kill off a programming offering that, according to your figures (whatever the source may be) is producing a 133% ROI annually???
        BOOM

end thread/

Comment

Originally posted by Omowale Tribe View Post
          It shouldn't be a shock to anyone if (or should I say when) HBO drops boxing from their network. They are making absolutely zero profits from their boxing shows. Especially now since Haymon's PBC is in full swing. The executives are probably debating right now when they should go through with the cancellation.

The thing is, HBO is a movie and TV show channel. They just aren't suited for sports. Look at their hit show, Game of Thrones. It's such a popular show and damn near everyone watches it. They make tons and tons of profit from it's popularity alone. But what about boxing? What do they get from that? Zero, squat, nada.

My only hope is that PBC opens its door to 3 guys in particular from HBO, them being Roy Jones, Hopkins and Max Kellerman. 3 superb commentators who don't deserve to lose their jobs because HBO can't seem to produce profits any longer. It's not their fault that HBO refuses to make good fights anymore.
          So where is your thread about Showtime? Let me guess, since they are a PBC affiliate, they are killing it in the financial department and beyond scrutiny?

Comment

Originally posted by PKing View Post
            HBO Boxing Ratings average in 2005 = 3.7 million average

HBO Boxing Ratings average in 2015 = 915,000

That's 25%.

HBO Boxing budget in 2005 = $90 million

HBO Boxing budget in 2015 = LESS than $30 million.

That's over a 67% decrease.

HBO's income from Sopranos... (viewers, syndication, dvd, international) = $2.3 Billion

HBO's income from boxing = less than $70 million per year
            I'm sure they are in a rush to stop doubling their money

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
              So where is your thread about Showtime? Let me guess, since they are a PBC affiliate, they are killing it in the financial department and beyond scrutiny?
              They can't talk about Showtime. Floyd and Haymon run them to the ground in broad daylight. Showtime is still trying to recover from the financial mess Haymon, Schaefer and TBE inflicted upon the always-struggling network.

Comment

This is the day and age where instead of rabid boxing fans we have people swooning over a manager. Too many muppets and not enough people talking about fights

Comment

If either HBO or Showtime cancels their boxing, expect the other to quickly follow suit.

Also do not expect Free TV to fill the void, they are getting paid to air shows right now. Once that money well dries up, they will wave goodbye.

So for those of you who are wishing doom on HBO or Haymon or showtime, remember, this sport is hanging by a thread, and it is wearing thin.

Comment

Originally posted by BrometheusSOG View Post
                    I'm sure they are in a rush to stop doubling their money
                    haha thats hilarious......

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                      Klit/Fury 2 is a good fight.

Canelo/Khan at 155 is not a good fight. Both should be fighting someone else. Added to that, Khan is coming off struggling against Algieiri. You are entitled to liek it but Notice how much NSB has collectively shat on the fight.

Most on NSB agree Crawford should be fighting a higher caliber opponent than Lundy in his next fight.

Manny/bradley 3 is not a good fight. we 've seen it twice. no need for a rematch.

The kov and GGG fights are utter sh-t. Just say it. You have no idea if Ward/kov or GGG/canelo is next, especially the way ODH and Duva are talking. Don't use possible fights to justify these. That just reinforces how sh-tty they are.

Chocalito isn't fighting Estrada or ruemerong (spelling may be off) the 2 fights people most want to see.

I never asked what Kind of year we were shaping up to have. That is a deflective answer.

You seem not satisfied but unwilling to criticize, which seems really wierd. if its bad, just say so.
                      You're right, maybe GGG-Canelo and Kovalev-Ward don't happen this year, but Canelo hasn't ducked anyone (and obviously you think he's going to blow out Khan) so do you really think Canelo is going to be able to go back home to the world's most knowledgeable, boxing-crazed fanbase -- the Mexican and Mexican-American fans -- and say, "I dropped my title rather than face GGG"? I just really believe based on the evidence we've already seen from Canelo that he will not vacate and I think it would dramatically damage his brand.

Also, Ward can't draw gate or ratings and HBO is getting tired of overpaying for garbage fights for him with no clear path in mind of where the hell his career is going. Despite his P4P credentials, he has no other money fights besides Kovalev. Similarly, Kovalev has no other big fight besides Stevenson which looks unlikely. Economics will force that one to happen IMO.

However, despite these surrounding facts & circumstances that I think makes both of those fights likely, in the abstract sense, you're right, I shouldn't excuse Kovalev-Pascal II or GGG-Wade (although that is a mando) on the theory that the good fights we all really want are just around the corner.

But I kind of did, didn't I, in my last post. I think a lot of other people do as well, consciously or not. And you'll often hear the Haymon cheerleaders get up in arms about double-standards but something just dawned on me:
                      This shows you how dumb it is to have a "no speaking to the media" policy. If you give starving people a pile of **** but you promise that if they eat it, you'll feed them real food, you'll probably get the poor bastards to eat ****.

And then you might come up with a good excuse as to why you weren't able to deliver the food after they ate the first bowl of ****, and you actually get them to eat another bowl before you finally feed them actual food. And when they finally get the food they're so happy they can forget about the **** they had to go through to get it.

Haymon just serves the very same starving people regular helpings of free ****, but without saying anything at all. The people say, "Jesus Al can't you see I'm starving, what good is a bowl of **** going to do me?" Al just stares back blankly and says nothing. There's no empathy with their plight.

Unlike rival promoters, or HBO, Haymon's bowl of **** doesn't come with a promise that good eats are coming soon if they'll just promise to eat a bowl of **** or two. And so the people just sit around and say, "Why does this mysterious stranger -- seemingly aware of my hunger -- keep giving me bowls of ****? ... and when is this **** EVER going to end?

Then when Al finally throws them some food it's too late -- the people have already grown to hate him and they're thinking, "Well Jesus, he ignored us for God knows how long -- after all this ****, it's about time ...

Comment

Working...
                      X