Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does it have to be HBO's way or the highway?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Part of the anti-PBC talk is their own fault. HBO actually communicates to the media and explains their long term plans, which encourages people to give them a break. For instance, Canelo and GGG will get a pass for taking a crap fight because everyone knows they're supposed to be fighting next. Same thing for Ward and Kovalev.

PBC used to just throw random fights up there, seemingly for no reason. I would assume they actually do have long term plans for these guys, but since no one actually says anything they get criticized.

Assuming the PBC is still in business, they have only have the low level Fox and Bounce cards announced right now, if they would stop treating everything like a government secret it would really build some goodwill.

Comment

Originally posted by Jsmooth9876 View Post
      Pre PBC guys were bigger "stars" then they are now IMO... Guys like Garcia were on a roll on showtime....if Thurman were a Top Rank or GBP fighter he'd be a star and already fought Bradley/Pac etc.... I understand they're trying to build a brand but boxing will never be on par with the NFL or MLB or even the NBA.. He can't afford to put on garbage shows and expect the numbers to grow and networks to jump on board after the time buys are up..
      That was true at one point but no longer the case. Crawford for example will never be a star because he has no one to fight. Garcia has way more momentum and upside star potential at this point.

Look at Lomachenko. The greatest amateur boxer in history and he's inactive, can't get a fight and is on a bum of the month tour right now. Walters marketability tanked.

Look at their schedule for God sakes. It ****in sucks. Where is your Frampton/Quigg or Thurman/Porter??

They are doing the exact same thing Haymon gets criticized for....paying these dudes millions to fight horrible opposition.

Comment

Originally posted by SugarKaineHook View Post
        You see... there we go people.

Dude, you're talking about 2014. Most of boxing fans reference 2015 and Kathy Duva literally stating no interest in the 50/50 split....

where have you been?
        Yeah why would she agree to an even split? Since Stevenson walked in 14 his ratings are down and Kovalev stock on the P4p list has risen. Kovalev has a big fight lined up against Ward and doesn't need Stevenson. Neither does HBO. So I could see why here they're telling Stevenson it's my way or the high way.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
          I dislike getting involved in network beefs.
          But it's necessary. It's necessary my friend. As boxing fans, if we're going to fight the good fight, and continue to "have this thing of ours", we have to have these conversations not only to enlighten the uninformed, but to also change the status quo.

We can't continue to have these 6 year stretches of Mayweather-Pac or it will completely kill the sport.

Now, these older posters that are fine with this status quo, let them go for there's no saving them. But the newer generation of boxing fans have to be indoctrinated to not accept this status quo and continue to fight for change by voicing their opinions via twitter and direct emails to those responsible for allowing this and causing all this chaos.

We need to encourage better ethical, unbiased and hard working journalism that will hold those party's involved responsible for not letting these mega fights happen.

In the Information Age, we as fans, have the biggest platform to post our opinions and desires for requested fights via twitter, facebook, boxing forums, etc.

You can't run from conversations like these, but must go to them and fight the good fight. Your vote counts.
          Last edited by Chollo Vista; 01-31-2016, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jrrod02 View Post
            Yeah why would she agree to an even split? Since Stevenson walked in 14 his ratings are down and Kovalev stock on the P4p list has risen. Kovalev has a big fight lined up against Ward and doesn't need Stevenson. Neither does HBO. So I could see why here they're telling Stevenson it's my way or the high way.
            Kovalev and Ward bout wasn't even in the picture when Kathy Duva ditched out of the negotiation which she initially agreed to the 50/50 split. In other words, they ducked out in fighting Stevenson. They assume the WBC and Lineal means nothing and the other belts are good enough.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP. View Post
              That was true at one point but no longer the case. Crawford for example will never be a star because he has no one to fight. Garcia has way more momentum and upside star potential at this point.

Look at Lomachenko. The greatest amateur boxer in history and he's inactive, can't get a fight and is on a bum of the month tour right now. Walters marketability tanked.

Look at their schedule for God sakes. It ****in sucks. Where is your Frampton/Quigg or Thurman/Porter??

They are doing the exact same thing Haymon gets criticized for....paying these dudes millions to fight horrible opposition.
              Crawford is at the beginning of his journey now...if he fights Postol,Herrera,providnikov, then moves up for Bradley-Ali-Vargas-Pac then he has plenty of options.

Lomanchenko has nobody to fight because they are all in Haymons stable at 126. Same deal as Rigondeuax, nobody wants to fight him...Walters will be ok, he just moved up and has a fight potentially against that japenese dude..

I agree though, there are no big fights beside Kovalev-Ward and possibly GGG-Canelo for HBO at the moment...

Can't wait for Thurman-Porter....

Comment

Originally posted by SugarKaineHook View Post
                Kovalev and Ward bout wasn't even in the picture when Kathy Duva ditched out of the negotiation which she initially agreed to the 50/50 split. In other words, they ducked out in fighting Stevenson. They assume the WBC and Lineal means nothing and the other belts are good enough.
                Well let's see.
                Stevenson declined Kovalev the first time.
                There were talks about Stevenson vs Hopkins but agains Stevenson didn't take the fight.
                Stevenson could have fought Pascal in their home town of Montreal, but Stevenson didn't take the fight.

At some point you have to think its Stevenson.

Comment

I will continue to watch Kovalev and Stevenson, regardless if they fight each other. PBC seems to be better built for the future because of their extensive roster. When HBO has expended all of their options, only then will they deal with PBC/Showtime. Until then, expect Ward-Barrera winner/Braehmer/Monaghan/Skoglund/Mikhalkin will be the kinds of opponents that Kov will face, while Stevenson will face Fonfara or Alvarez. The sanctioning bodies will have to be the mediator and coerce the sides into working together.
                  Last edited by kiaba360; 01-31-2016, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Cause they were responsible enough to sign their stars to exclusive contracts, and also cause they're still the premier boxing outlet. See Adonis huge drop in ratings (and live gate, and respect) since bolting from HBO.

Comment

Originally posted by Chollo Vista View Post
                      Why?

And why aren't they just as much the blame as what other people accuse of Haymon?

At least with Showtime, they attempt to negotiate to give the fans what they want. HBO has zero flexibility and refuses to budge in negotiations. It wouldn't be as bad if they didn't throw in "He's duckin doe" at the end.

So why is it HBO's way or the highway?
                      Because its a dck measuring contest.
                      HBO has the most viewers. They have the best fighters and they also have the best crew/broadcast.

I've been to hbo fights live as well as showtime and pbc. Pbc isn't a very informative live show. It was literally. Red corner blue corner with names. They didn't shot a tale off the tape and records. They just said red corner and a name and then the fighter walked out and got in the ring . its like wwe.

I enjoyed hbo the most

Comment

Working...
                      X