Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does it have to be HBO's way or the highway?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SugarKaineHook View Post
    I think Ward was hanging around too much with Drake, and tricked him to go with Roc Nation. Haymon would've made Ward a super star for the American Public, and the American public, whether it's rural, has a soft spot for Gold Olympians.
    Ward ruined his own career by not fighting..it's no fault of HBO.... and who has Haymon made into a star? Haymon doesn't seem to be in the building a star business like a TR or GBP does...

His guys fight meaningless fights then sit out 9 months to be forgotten about completely. As bad as someone like GGG competition is at his weight class at least he's on every 4 months and keeping his face and name in the public eye...

Comment

Ops spot on I think Stevenson wants this fight now so does haymon Adonis is nearly finished surely he'll want this payday before it's gone. Hbo and team kovalev have been guilty in causing obstructions to the fight recently

Comment

Originally posted by Jsmooth9876 View Post
        I agree but that won't ever happen..HBO will always need faces to attach to their boxing banner...I can see Haymon guys eventually fighting on HBO though if it makes financial sense...apparently this fight doesn't. Maybe GGG-Wade will work because Wade is a virtual nobody but it's a step in the right direction I guess if they can come to terms and not go to a purse bid...honestly I'd like to see what kind of numbers GGG could do on CBS/NBC/Fox...I don't think they should or would let him fight on showtime though seeing as that is their direct pay to view competition in the boxing market.
        Well then the issue will remain. And that's exactly what is wrong with the sport today. Something will soon give.

Comment

Originally posted by SugarKaineHook View Post
          I think Ward was hanging around too much with Drake, and tricked him to go with Roc Nation. Haymon would've made Ward a super star for the American Public, and the American public, whether it's rural, has a soft spot for Gold Olympians.
          Ward signed with rocnation for the same reason cotto signed. Because they blew everyone away with ridiculous contracts with signing bonus and fight purses that nobody is making fighting on PBC. And he has a contract to fight on HBO which is proven they know how to build superstars. What superstars have PBC built? None. Ward got a signing bonus worth millions, made 2mil for a tune up fight against smith, will get significant more each fight in 2016 with a contract for a big ppv fight at the end of the year. Now of course this sounds idiotic for rocnation who are LOSING money on these contracts they gave cotto and ward and are paying additional money out of their pockets to pay their fighters. But the fighters got paid and featured on hbo. Cotto cashed out big time when he got the ppv with canelo. As long as nobody is upset and ward gets the ppv with Kovalev he is sitting pretty and will be a rich man. If he wins he's the p4p king. If he signed with haymon what fights could he of made that offer the same money and p4p glory?

Comment

Originally posted by PBP. View Post
            Stevenson is a PBC fighter which appears on multiple networks but is banned from HBO.
            How is Stevenson "banned" when as of last week they had a deal framework done for the fight to be aired on HBO PPV?

Comment

Originally posted by djt117 View Post
              How is Stevenson "banned" when as of last week they had a deal framework done for the fight to be aired on HBO PPV?
              An Al Haymon fighter has not appeared on HBO since Edwin Rodriguez and he signed with Haymon towards the end of negotiations.

Besides that, I really don't care. This **** is a circus. I'll just wait for the next bum they create for Stevenson and Kovalev's next fight because that's just the way things are.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post
                Ward signed with rocnation for the same reason cotto signed. Because they blew everyone away with ridiculous contracts with signing bonus and fight purses that nobody is making fighting on PBC. And he has a contract to fight on HBO which is proven they know how to build superstars. What superstars have PBC built? None. Ward got a signing bonus worth millions, made 2mil for a tune up fight against smith, will get significant more each fight in 2016 with a contract for a big ppv fight at the end of the year. Now of course this sounds idiotic for rocnation who are LOSING money on these contracts they gave cotto and ward and are paying additional money out of their pockets to pay their fighters. But the fighters got paid and featured on hbo. Cotto cashed out big time when he got the ppv with canelo. As long as nobody is upset and ward gets the ppv with Kovalev he is sitting pretty and will be a rich man. If he wins he's the p4p king. If he signed with haymon what fights could he of made that offer the same money and p4p glory?
                What superstars has PBC built? :lol1

Buddy, HBO has been broadcasting boxing since 1973.

PBC has been in business since 2015.

Some of these HBO fanboys are a real treat.

Comment

Originally posted by Chollo Vista View Post
                  Why?

And why aren't they just as much the blame as what other people accuse of Haymon?

At least with Showtime, they attempt to negotiate to give the fans what they want. HBO has zero flexibility and refuses to budge in negotiations. It wouldn't be as bad if they didn't throw in "He's duckin doe" at the end.

So why is it HBO's way or the highway?
                  While HBO has not been perfect and has screwed up a lot in the pass, I can't blame them for not wanting Stevenson back on HBO or paying him a lot of money to return.

Lets not forget that HBO built Stevenson. Gave him a lot of exposure, was producing high ratings on HBO, and was on his way to have a mega 175 title fight on HBO with Kovalev. They had it all ready, and at the last minute Chickenson decided to walk away. Since then his ratings have gone down, he's become a joke.
                  I can see why HBO would not want to negotiate with him or pay him anymore.

Comment

LMFAO at HBO failed attempt at trying to copy Wilder vs Fury post fight interaction. I had no clue WTF Stevenson was saying

As for HBO way, the problem HBO will have is that they don't have the ROSTER to keep doing things their way. HBO is running out of Matchups, look at their schedule so far this year, not good at all. So what ever issue they have with Haymon, eventually will have to work out in the near future if they want to keep covering boxing because they're running out of Matchups Fast.

While Kovalev waits for Ward, what is next for him on HBO? GGG currently struggling to find a quality opponent, Canelo is talking about Rosado? What happens after Pacquiao steps away? What will the Welterweight Division on the HBO side of things will look like? HBO way is going to be impossible to maintain when they don't even have enough talent exclusively on their network.

They're calling guys like Karim Mayfield and Hank Lundy to come fight on their Network vs their fighters is that not Proof that HBO is kinda running out of opponents at this point. For the good of BOXING, I think something needs to be worked out between HBO and Haymon or whoever they have issues with. Don't have to do PBC on HBO or anything like that but at least agree to do big fights when it presents itself! Because what will eventually happen is that once these guys exclusive contracts are up, they will jump and go for the bigger money and bigger match ups on the other side and if that happens HBO is going to be FUKED!
                    Last edited by sicko; 01-31-2016, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pigeons View Post
                      What superstars has PBC built? :lol1

Buddy, HBO has been broadcasting boxing since 1973.

PBC has been in business since 2015.

Some of these HBO fanboys are a real treat.
                      So then why should ward of signed with haymon? PBC has been a failure and created no stars. Other former HBO guys who left HBO and signed to haymon the last few years like khan, stevenson, and Chavez Jr basically saw their careers ruined by haymon. All had far greater success before haymon NOT after. Haymon don't build stars

Comment

Working...
                      X