Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does it have to be HBO's way or the highway?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PBP. View Post
    So this is what we get: Kovalev/Pascal 2, Crawford/Lundy, GGG/Wade. But that's OK because HBO is still winning by budgeting and waiting for their competitors to fold!!!!!!

Now let me wait for some network homer to research crappy PBC fights thinking they're countering me even though I **** on Stevenson's semiannual bum beatings regularly.
    The point is Stevenson is not contractually signed to any network is he? HBO is willing to put him on their network so what's the issue?

Until either every fighter is under Haymon and we have a UFC type organization or everyone works together in harmony which will never happen, we are gonna have these issues goin on forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Jsmooth9876 View Post
      The point is Stevenson is not contractually signed to any network is he? HBO is willing to put him on their network so what's the issue?

Until either every fighter is under Haymon and we have a UFC type organization or everyone works together in harmony which will never happen, we are gonna have these issues goin on forever.
      Stevenson is a PBC fighter which appears on multiple networks but is banned from HBO. PBC would put Kovalev on their platform too.

I understand the issue. Both sides are at fault.

Comment

Originally posted by Jsmooth9876 View Post

You raise the bigger issue. Fighters shouldn't have exclusive contracts with networks. They should be free to fight where they please. Further, it would raise competition by forcing networks to outbid each other not just financially, but in laying out the event.

This fight was never happening because of these alliances. Not when one side has as good or better options.

Comment

Stevenson is a PBC fighter which appears on multiple networks but is banned from HBO. PBC would put Kovalev on their platform too.

I understand the issue. Both sides are at fault.
          Kathy Duva's an idiot. Her interest or justifications are on the dollar benefits when she goes on about currencies from Canada and Russia, and that's not even relating to the failed 50/50 bid, she was referring to Kovalev's ''future PPV'' scenarios in 2016.

Then Kovalev says he wants to unify all the belts post ring like the 2015 agrreements never happened...meaning, he needs the WBC, calls Stevenson a chicken, but then walks away from a confrontation. doesn't make any sense

Comment

Originally posted by SugarKaineHook View Post
            Kathy Duva's an idiot. Her interest or justifications are on the dollar benefits when she goes on about currencies from Canada and Russia, and that's not even relating to the failed 50/50 bid, she was referring to Kovalev's ''future PPV'' scenarios in 2016.

Then Kovalev says he wants to unify all the belts post ring like the 2015 agrreements never happened...meaning, he needs the WBC, calls Stevenson a chicken, but then walks away from a confrontation. doesn't make any sense
            She is an idiot. Ward vs Kovalev is the best fight in boxing but nobody knows who they are. That fight will be one of the biggest financial flops in boxing history.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
              It's because boxing fans generally aren't the brightest bunch and they think that because fighter X is currently an HBO fighter, and they are X fans, they they need to be HBO fans and defend HBO by proxy. Sad excuses are made about the past, about who holds more power, etc, etc. If you want to see the best fights then quit accepting this sort of thing. Just because you like a fighter doesn't mean that you have to like his trainer, manager, lifestyle, network, manager, etc. Quit being such fking sheep.
              Preach man Preach!!!

We now have network fans... how long till we're measuring network resumes lol, God help us.

Comment

She is an idiot. Ward vs Kovalev is the best fight in boxing but nobody knows who they are. That fight will be one of the biggest financial flops in boxing history.
                I think Ward was hanging around too much with Drake, and tricked him to go with Roc Nation. Haymon would've made Ward a super star for the American Public, and the American public, whether it's rural, has a soft spot for Gold Olympians.

Comment

Originally posted by SugarKaineHook View Post
                  I think Ward was hanging around too much with Drake, and tricked him to go with Roc Nation. Haymon would've made Ward a super star for the American Public, and the American public, whether it's rural, has a soft spot for Gold Olympians.
                  He's getting paid well being the big fish in the small pond. I can't knock him for the Roc deal. Kind of like Tim Bradley with Top Rank.

But at this stage, Ward isn't a bigger name than B-Hop. If B-Hop vs Kovalev wasn't PPV, how the hell is this fight going to sell?

Comment

He's getting paid well being the big fish in the small pond. I can't knock him for the Roc deal. Kind of like Tim Bradley with Top Rank.

But at this stage, Ward isn't a bigger name than B-Hop. If B-Hop vs Kovalev wasn't PPV, how the hell is this fight going to sell?
                    I don't think Ward envisioned PBC's production standards and current progression. That seems normal. However, in the Televison world, when you promote numbers like 6 million all sorts of new players from sponsors jump in the game and want to learn the marketing strategy and revenue potentials. For the traditional boxer, it's more so just PPV reliance. If things continue to go well at this rate, and Haymon advisors cook up programming close to mimic Finals, Playoffs or even better, the SuperBowl, boxing can come back stronger than ever as an American highlight, dusting HBO behind by a wide margin.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                      You raise the bigger issue. Fighters shouldn't have exclusive contracts with networks. They should be free to fight where they please. Further, it would raise competition by forcing networks to outbid each other not just financially, but in laying out the event.

This fight was never happening because of these alliances. Not when one side has as good or better options.
                      I agree but that won't ever happen..HBO will always need faces to attach to their boxing banner...I can see Haymon guys eventually fighting on HBO though if it makes financial sense...apparently this fight doesn't. Maybe GGG-Wade will work because Wade is a virtual nobody but it's a step in the right direction I guess if they can come to terms and not go to a purse bid...honestly I'd like to see what kind of numbers GGG could do on CBS/NBC/Fox...I don't think they should or would let him fight on showtime though seeing as that is their direct pay to view competition in the boxing market.

Comment

Working...
                      X