Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Virgil Hunter touches up on Floyd Mayweather's recent interviews regarding racism...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlakBread904 View Post
    You missed several points.

1) This is strictly anecdotal, as I am African-American and was raised in a lower-class black community...but there are segments of black women (and men as well) who subscribe to the theorem that being "thuggish" is being "black" and therefore, disregard the guys who do not appear to be thugs. I wasn't a square, but I sure wasn't a thug, and I distinctly remember that dynamic as a teen and young adult.

2) For African-American fighters, the main seller is usually controversy. Andre Ward lacks controversy, so he generates less money. Floyd wasn't a big money guy until after ODLH fight when he started using the "Money" persona. Being in strip clubs, partying, materialism, egomania, arrogance, etc is only controversial when you're young black and rich. Look at Broner's presence on Worldstar Hip Hop, straight up foolishness. but it's controversy and it keeps his name out there.

Floyd's team understood racial politics in the American sports world. Nothing makes the mainstream more uncomfortable than a rich, successful, unapologetically boastful African American man. The mainstream will avidly pay attention him, hoping for his downfall. For TMT though, that led to

He had to crap on people to get attention....when he was Pretty Boy Floyd, million dollar smile, polite yet kicking everyones arse in sight, he got no shine...while lesser fighters like Gatti were hyped like the best thing since sliced bread and getting PPV dates and money

If he didn't change his moniker or persona he wouldn't have made as far as he did.

Look at guys who had the talent but didn't talk Trash....Roy Jones, Whitaker, didn't get a lot of publicity because they were not controversial

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
      lets be real...in America who runs the media and what we see on TV? White people.....In America the only history the teach is white American history and history of others told from a white persons perspective......Its crazy....words like savages to describe the natives(who taught their dumb azz how to irrigate, raise crops, hunt, herbs, spices, etc.).....when Katrina happened they called American citizens refugees( Louisiana, Texas, and Miss. have some of the highest % of non whites in their population...I doubt that would have happened if a natural disaster hit Utah or Idaho where the demographic is 70 % white

How many major networks or media outlets are run by people of color?

Floyd's misdeeds get publicity, but speaking on his charitable work and things he does for Vegas and other places isn't gonna be on ESPN or TMZ

Ward and Bradley not doing or saying controversial things is exactly why they don't get a lot of shine

Roy Jones was the fighter of the 90s, his life didn't have a lot of drama.....he promoted himself and had sponsorship from Jordan, all the while being bashed by HBO, a company who broadcast his fights...didn't get near the pats on the backs on the likes of GGG but definitely was a better fighter....Jones wasn't boring and had a good fan base, the media just didn't take to him because he didn't show his azz
      Nah.........

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
        lets be real...in America who runs the media and what we see on TV? White people.....In America the only history the teach is white American history and history of others told from a white persons perspective......Its crazy....words like savages to describe the natives(who taught their dumb azz how to irrigate, raise crops, hunt, herbs, spices, etc.).....when Katrina happened they called American citizens refugees( Louisiana, Texas, and Miss. have some of the highest % of non whites in their population...I doubt that would have happened if a natural disaster hit Utah or Idaho where the demographic is 70 % white

How many major networks or media outlets are run by people of color?

Floyd's misdeeds get publicity, but speaking on his charitable work and things he does for Vegas and other places isn't gonna be on ESPN or TMZ

Ward and Bradley not doing or saying controversial things is exactly why they don't get a lot of shine

Roy Jones was the fighter of the 90s, his life didn't have a lot of drama.....he promoted himself and had sponsorship from Jordan, all the while being bashed by HBO, a company who broadcast his fights...didn't get near the pats on the backs on the likes of GGG but definitely was a better fighter....Jones wasn't boring and had a good fan base, the media just didn't take to him because he didn't show his azz

Comment

Originally posted by nacho daddy View Post
          in a 1000 years problem will be the same being you "smart" people are in charge. it is your types that have destroyed the black family with your "intelligence". 60 years ago black families were way better off being hard working honest people.
          The problems facing humanity aren't caused exclusively by the so called "smart" people. What the Planet Earth lacks right now are people of all skill levels that are wise. And whether human beings understand it or not, we're all part of one massive family that includes many hues. So ultimately the problems with "blacks" affect all other ethnic groups and vice versa.

You say blacks were better off 60 years ago. That's pretty funny, my mother would vehemently disagree with you and she's an 80 year old black woman. Please cite sources and evidence, hopefully anecdotal, that blacks were better off?

It's really important to look honestly at the causes and reasons why events or phenomena occur instead of offering snap judgments or popular opinions....

Comment

Originally posted by Slip Stream View Post
            The problems facing humanity aren't caused exclusively by the so called "smart" people. What the Planet Earth lacks right now are people of all skill levels that are wise. And whether human beings understand it or not, we're all part of one massive family that includes many hues. So ultimately the problems with "blacks" affect all other ethnic groups and vice versa.

You say blacks were better off 60 years ago. That's pretty funny, my mother would vehemently disagree with you and she's an 80 year old black woman. Please cite sources and evidence, hopefully anecdotal, that blacks were better off?

It's really important to look honestly at the causes and reasons why events or phenomena occur instead of offering snap judgments or popular opinions....
            if you think you are so smart why don't you just go on google and find it out. your grandmother is still alive at 80 so how bad was it. two of my uncles died in WW11

Comment

Originally posted by nacho daddy View Post
              if you think you are so smart why don't you just go on google and find it out. your grandmother is still alive at 80 so how bad was it. two of my uncles died in WW11
              She's my mother dimwit and do you have access to Google? So if someone is still living, that's the high bar you choose as to whether their life was good? Just gonna skip through quality and all of that?

Reading is great but comprehension is fundamental....

Comment

Comment

It's quite clear that non-black boxing fans will never truly understand the racism that blacks have faced in America throughout the years, and in the present. It's not as bad as it was a few years ago but there's still a LONG way to go.

Comment

Nice read, insightful. Problem is a lot of people are not intelligent enough to understand this interview.

Comment

Originally posted by Omowale Tribe View Post
                      It's quite clear that non-black boxing fans will never truly understand the racism that blacks have faced in America throughout the years, and in the present. It's not as bad as it was a few years ago but there's still a LONG way to go.
                      I might not understand but i can see what he is saying here from the interview..

Comment

Working...
                      X