Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Virgil Hunter touches up on Floyd Mayweather's recent interviews regarding racism...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a capacity for empathy whenever a black person tries to make a point about racism, or is it easier to deny the realistic point of views in America?. Again this is what Hunter is saying, to fundamentalize his pov, you have to experience it first hand, which ironically in black culture, individual experience is amplified to most. Therefore why is it so hard to respect a civilized opinion without strawman tactics.

Comment

what racist is letting members of a certain race who no commentating experience get jobs over professionals.

tired of hearing broken english,
      poor grammar and hypocritical bull**** from these guys,, always making the case for the runner gtfo

Comment

Comment

I think Virgil Hunter makes a lot of good points, and it's clear that he's a very thoughtful and knowledgeable guy. The problem is Floyd does not strike one as coming from the same place. Floyd is just bored and looking to stir things up in the media + promote his and Haymon's brand. Floyd didn't care about race when he was making racist jokes about Pacquiao years ago. I personally am a fan of Floyd in the ring, but outside of it I think there's a lot of stuff you can look at and see why he isn't beloved by fans. Is an element of that racial? Yes. But I don't think it's the main reason why he isn't embraced.

Comment

Originally posted by ramplamp View Post
            I think Virgil Hunter makes a lot of good points, and it's clear that he's a very thoughtful and knowledgeable guy. The problem is Floyd does not strike one as coming from the same place. Floyd is just bored and looking to stir things up in the media + promote his and Haymon's brand. Floyd didn't care about race when he was making racist jokes about Pacquiao years ago. I personally am a fan of Floyd in the ring, but outside of it I think there's a lot of stuff you can look at and see why he isn't beloved by fans. Is an element of that racial? Yes. But I don't think it's the main reason why he isn't embraced.
            I can guarantee you that Floyd is conservative compared to other blacks from Harlem, Compton, Atlanta, Houston. My sentence was a stereotype to prove a point. Was a joke. Cause it ain't poppin from Grand Rapids. Lol. But stereotypes works wonders and Trump isn't the only goon that can tell the American public through his primaries that being filthy rich is not bragging or building a wall... So the lesson learned, you have know idea of Hunter's background growing up or what he may have said verbally to others. Of course he's a lot older now, and nowhere near the level of Farrakhan to go really deep in PUBLIC, so don't assume...

Floyd has made it very clear through out his years about his Americanism, pride, and nationalism. It's no different how Americans have been race baiting and patronizing other countries since the first World War. So again, when a black man says anything from American habits, it becomes that he is racist? How the fck does that work?! Lol. The guy fought for the USA at the Olympics and got robbed, same thing happened to Roy Jones Jr. I bet you millions Americans were saying the same thing Floyd was saying about eating dogs... American Hollywood films on the Korean or Vietnam has the standard of hatred against "****s" and I can guarantee you that black actors aren't the main protagonists for those films...

Hypocrisy works wonders through subtext.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Deevel916 View Post
                Yes. Ask an admitted activist about his unbiased take on racism. Let alone from Ben Thompson of all people!

Floyd has made more money than anyone in the history of the sport and called his own shots. He fought who he wanted when he wanted. Yet we are suppose to believe that black fighters are being treated unfairly!? It boils down to dollars and sense. Not black and white.
                You haven't been following boxing very long have you?

In the late 90s and early 2000s when Mayweather was Pretty Boy Floyd and beating every one in his way he really wasn't getting much attention and called no shots. Larry Merchant would troll him after his fights and he'd try to smile it off and worked his way becoming a draw by fighting championship level opposition from his 18th fight on

It took him to be lineal champion in 2 divisions, 11 defenses before he was in his first headlining pay per view.....9 years as a pro and 7 as a champion.

While fighters like Gatti, Hamed, and others who were lesser fighters got paid more. fought on Ppv and didn't get chastised for winning on HBO

When he left Bob Arum, who prevented fights with Cotto, Mosley and ODLH from happeneing sooner he left....ironically he fought ODLH and Cotto as soon as they were free agents

He had to work his way up the later, all people remember is Money Mayweather now, but the young prodigy that was calling out everyone
                and making short money in correlation to his skills gets forgotten

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
                  You haven't been following boxing very long have you?

In the late 90s and early 2000s when Mayweather was Pretty Boy Floyd and beating every one in his way he really wasn't getting much attention and called no shots. Larry Merchant would troll him after his fights and he'd try to smile it off and worked his way becoming a draw by fighting championship level opposition from his 18th fight on

It took him to be lineal champion in 2 divisions, 11 defenses before he was in his first headlining pay per view.....9 years as a pro and 7 as a champion.

While fighters like Gatti, Hamed, and others who were lesser fighters got paid more. fought on Ppv and didn't get chastised for winning on HBO

When he left Bob Arum, who prevented fights with Cotto, Mosley and ODLH from happeneing sooner he left....ironically he fought ODLH and Cotto as soon as they were free agents

He had to work his way up the later, all people remember is Money Mayweather now, but the young prodigy that was calling out everyone
                  and making short money in correlation to his skills gets forgotten
                  Again, its all about dollars and cents. Not about your skin color.

Let me ask you this... Back then, who was generating more money, more tv viewers and putting more butts in seats? Floyd, or Gatti and Hamed? When you generate more money you get to call more shots. That's how it works in this game.

Once Floyd broke off from Bob Arum and got the fights he wanted, he raised his profile and started generating more and more money for not only himself but for the network/s. In return he was able to dictate to the power who be what he wanted, when he wanted and how he wanted.

Ward doesn't have that luxury because despite how good he is, he's not a money maker. He doesn't fill arenas, he doesn't bring in high tv ratings and he's not yet a ppv star on his own. It has nothing to do with Ward being black but instead everything to do with him being a lackluster box office draw.
                  Last edited by Deevel916; 01-13-2016, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Ah yes, less tune into guys who get their heads beat in for a living for sociological insight.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevel916 View Post
                      Again, its all about dollars and cents. Not about your skin color.

Let me ask you this... Back then, who was generating more money, more tv viewers and putting more butts in seats? Floyd, or Gatti and Hamed? When you generate more money you get to call more shots. That's how it works in this game.

Once Floyd broke off from Bob Arum and got the fights he wanted, he raised his profile and started generating more and more money for not only himself but for the network/s. In return he was able to dictate to the power who be what he wanted, when he wanted and how he wanted.

Ward doesn't have that luxury because despite how good he is, he's not a money maker. He doesn't fill arenas, he doesn't bring in high tv ratings and he's not yet a ppv star on his own. It has nothing to do with Ward being black but instead everything to do with him being a lackluster box office draw.
                      I understand where you are coming from, but if you are the best at what you do or one of the best, you should be compensated that way and be promoted that way. That is how the fighters feel

If A fighter lik eward isn't a box office draw, its his team and the network he is signed to job the make him more recognizable.

Same with Rigoondeaux.....skill wise they are 2 of the best in the world. As far as compensation. I doubt it

I'll compare and contrast.... Roy Jones is universally recognized as the greatest fighter of the 90's....was he paid the most...no....was he exciting, yes....and he had a lot of fans.....De La Hoya who was not the fighter Jones was got the recognition, notoriety and more $$$

Same with Pernell Whitaker and Julio Cesar Chavez....some may say Whitaker is boring, but their are people who appreciate the sweet science and from a fighters point of view, if you are the best in the sport, you should be paid that way

9/10 in every other sport the best gets paid more, whether they are exciting or not. Look at stars in the MLB, NBA etc.

Comment

Working...
                      X