Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Koncz: No Tune-Up For Ibeabuchi, To Face Top 15 Opponent

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Koncz: No Tune-Up For Ibeabuchi, To Face Top 15 Opponent

Ike "The President" Ibeabuchi turns 43 this coming February and has been out of the ring for 17 years. Yet the way his handlers are talking, the intention is to pick up not too far from where he last left off as he stages the unlikeliest of comebacks.

From the moment Yahoo's Kevin Iole broke the news of Ibeabuchi's plans to return to the sport, speculation ran rampant of the impact he can have on today's market. The first round of answers expect to be provided on April 9, where he will appear on the undercard of Manny Pacquiao's third fight with Tim Bradley at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

[Click Here To Read More]

Should be interesting

Comment

He's surely too old to fight the way he used to and has been away too long. But then again I have to admit I'm curious to see him especially if it's against someone legit, even a gatekeeper-type.

Comment

This whole thing is surreal to me to be honest. I was so excited for this dude back in the day. Part of me hopes he can make some noise, but then the logical part tells me this going to go no where.

But him wanting to instantly get in with decent competition after a 17 year hiatus is insane. Maybe they know something we don't

I mean when has any fighter come back after such a long layoff and had major success. Foreman is the only one I can think of, but that was quite a different situation

Comment

Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
          Should be interesting
          Pretty much sums it up lol

Comment

lol Koncz doesn't know what he's doing.

Comment

he'll make some descent money for the rest of his new boxing career

Comment

It's a bad idea to take on a top 15 opponent right out of the gate. Based on how long he's been out of the ring he will most likely lose and that will set him back.

At his age he can't rely afford to do that if he wants to make some money before he retires.

Comment

Originally posted by PowerFlow View Post
                  This whole thing is surreal to me to be honest. I was so excited for this dude back in the day. Part of me hopes he can make some noise, but then the logical part tells me this going to go no where.

But him wanting to instantly get in with decent competition after a 17 year hiatus is insane. Maybe they know something we don't

I mean when has any fighter come back after such a long layoff and had major success. Foreman is the only one I can think of, but that was quite a different situation
                  Think I got the whole range of emotions & feelings you had/have.

I tend to suspect the NSAC won't even sanction him vs a top 15 guy. They've been on point with some potential bs fights lately & a guy who hasn't fought in 17yrs vs a top 15 isn't a sanctionable fight under any commission putting in the least amount of consideration on fights.

I mean has Ike even hit a heavybag during these past 17yrs?

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                    Think I got the whole range of emotions & feelings you had/have.

I tend to suspect the NSAC won't even sanction him vs a top 15 guy. They've been on point with some potential bs fights lately & a guy who hasn't fought in 17yrs vs a top 15 isn't a sanctionable fight under any commission putting in the least amount of consideration on fights.

I mean has Ike even hit a heavybag during these past 17yrs?
                    Yeah good points. And you're right. Hopefully they don't let him fight a top 15 dude right out of the gate. I don't care how good he feels, that's just a recipe for disaster. Let him fight a couple of nobodies and get his feet wet. Give him the best chance at success, or at least the opportunity to build him a little and set up one decent payday.

Another thing too, when you're not used to getting punched for a long period of time, punches that you used to eat up can have serious effects. I understand he's 43, so time is running short, but at least his body hasn't been punished over the years. Give the dude a year to re-familiarize himself with the game, than we can start talking about putting him in there with some top 15 guys.

Comment

Working...
                    X