Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is 155 or 160 an issue if there is no same day weigh in?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is 155 or 160 an issue if there is no same day weigh in?

Lets see it this way,
    If GGG vs Canelo happens at 160

Canelo can re-hydrate to 165-175 plus on the fight night like he does everytime.
    GGG will re-hydrate to near 170 as well its not like suddenly for one fight he will go over 180.

If its at 155 Canelo like every fight will re to 170+ and if Canelo can get 15 extra pounds in a day so can GGG.

So the point is whatever weight they fight in, at fight night they will probably of the same weight - 155 wont stop GGG to get to his normal fight night weight just like it doesn't stop Canelo. I see no advantage for either fighter on either 155 or 160

Am I missing something here ?

YDKSAB

It the hurt you put your body through to make the weight that takes it toll and its not just magically repaired with re-hydration overnight.

Comment

Originally posted by IllegalDeath View Post
      Lets see it this way,

Canelo can re-hydrate to 165-175 plus on the fight night like he does everytime.
      GGG will re-hydrate to near 170 as well its not like suddenly for one fight he will go over 180.

If its at 155 Canelo like every fight will re to 170+ and if Canelo can get 15 extra pounds in a day so can GGG.

So the point is whatever weight they fight in, at fight night they will probably of the same weight - 155 wont stop GGG to get to his normal fight night weight just like it doesn't stop Canelo. I see no advantage for either fighter on either 155 or 160

yes

you are missing the likely physical toll that making a 33 year old career middleweight drain down to 155 will have on him

Thats the whole point. To weaken him, and provide some sort of physical advantage to Canelo. Its a cowards move.

Comment

Originally posted by IllegalDeath View Post
        Lets see it this way,

Comment

it benefits both of them to fight at 160. it would be easier on canelo's body too.

he is just hoping that draining to 155 would weaken GGG and that maybe GGG has to loose some extra weight during camp so he wont rehydrate as high.

personally i think GGG will be able to make 155 without issue. everyone else doesnt seem to think so. hes the smaller of the two, he can make it, hes been talking of fighting at 154 for years. Their entire training camp they will know he has to be at 155 so they will make it, he might be less on fight night rather than draining more.

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
            yes

you are missing the likely physical toll that making a 33 year old career middleweight drain down to 155 will have on him

Thats the whole point. To weaken him, and provide some sort of physical advantage to Canelo. Its a cowards move.
            how is ggg drained at 155?? he said he can make 154 easy for a big ppv fight... if he isn't drained for a ppv fight he souldnt be drained to any other fight at all... and I get it, if the title is on the line it should be 160...

Comment

Ok then so let Canelo come in at 155 , and GGG can come in at 160 for the fiht

Comment

It hinders training camp. You go into training camp and have to train more for losing weight, and focus on making weight. Honestly any fighter who comes in 10lbs or more on fight night from the weight they were on the scales has no room to go down in weight. Pacquiao can go up or dwon from 140 to 147 easily, Mayweather can go from 147 to 154, Marquez can fight at 140-147. These guys don't come in more 2-3lbs heavier. They're good in training camp, they'll use their camp strictly for coming up with gameplans, and just a little bit of weight decrease. But you see Canelo at 170lbs, GGG at 170lbs, Kovalev at 188-190lbs and so on, these guys could benefit in training camp from moving up. They can make the weight yeah, they can make it okay, but they have to use up valuable time from their training camp to make it.

Comment

because they both carry middleweight belts.

how can you call yourself a middleweight champion and make a FELLOW middleweight champion come in at a catchweight?

i mean catchweights are fine if its two fighters from different divisions but not for boxers who hold a belt in the same freaking division.

Comment

Age matters - dehydrating and rehydrating puts a serious strain on the body and an older fighter is likely to suffer more as a result of it. Likely if Golovkin agreed to 155 he'd only rehydrate to around 165 and give up a few extra lbs of ring size rather than risk weakening himself with excessive weight gain / loss.

Comment

Working...
                    X