Collapse
No announcement yet.

Famous fighters who have been allegedly embarrassed in sparring

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When Jorge Linares was still a highly touted prospect, he supposedly knocked out lighting Lonnie Smith Jr. And the next day Lonnie Smith knocked him out back. This one is pretty much confirmed. It was right before the Denarco fight. Broner supposedly gave Hank Lundy the work in their sparring session. But Broner supposedly got worked by one of the younger fighters in the Mayweather gym at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by Kagami Taiga View Post
      Yea he's the one that supposedly gave him the sty over his eye. He also got kicked out after that hahahaha.
      Yeah something like that maybe Floyd was rusty who knows.

Comment

George Groves Sparked GGG and dropped him.

Comment

Some interesting stuff.

I agree, sparring isn't indicative of anything much (unless you are getting sparked clean out repeatedly).

Love all the background stuff and history though. Good thread.

Comment

I heard that Bradley gave Crawford the business in sparring a while ago. He said that Crawford was very good but that Crawford knew where he stood when the sparring was done.

Comment

Originally posted by lopetego View Post
              Too bad most of these are unconfirmed rumours. but rumours always have a basis

if there's a rumour that fighter A got the crap beaten outta him by fighter B in sparring, odds are that B was truly winning, even if some people exaggerate

Here's a list of fighters with a name who were dominated in sparring by some of his peers. Disgraceful, specially in the cases of those who were allegedly knocked out

- Chad ¨weight drained zombie¨ Dawson got knocked out in sparring by Edison Miranda, when he was preparing to fight Ward.

- GGG beat Kovalev badly in sparring and ran him outta the gym

- Canelo knocked Nobuhiro Ishida out twice in sparring, brutally, according to GGG who was there

- Morales schooled a young Mayweather in sparring (i would have LOVED to see this)

- Wlad and Haye both destroyed Wilder in sparring

feel free to add more
              Canelo brutally koed Ishada twice? Jesus. You can effectively spar with someone and not go for that brutal KO.

Do you have a source? It's actually really dangerous to continue fighting after a KO. Really stupid.

Hunter has a different way of training. He doesn't believe in brutal gym wars. Some MMA fighters are also going this route. I think it's idiotic to try and KO each other in sparring. You're going to wear yourself out, not to mention get serious brain injuries and issues.

Comment

This whole sparring "beat up" business you guys talk about is foolish. In sparring, 99% of the time, we have either two guys prepping for a fight, but at different stages in their training, so the guy in better shape usually will look sharper and on point.

In other scenarios, we have a fighter prepping and paid sparring coming in to give them work. Once again we will see the prepping fighter early getting tough work from the gym rat who is always sharp. 99% of it you will see the generally better fighter getting shiners etc early in their camp until their sharpness comes back.

The only ones that are bad, is where we hear about guys getting dropped by headshots. It is very rare, but it does happen sometimes. Most sparring is not all out stuff, but accidents and egos sometimes do happen. Unfortunately headshot knockdowns and knockouts are the worst thing to happen to a fighter training for a fight. It will usually end with them getting knocked out fight night also. Getting hurt like that in training will carry Psychological and Physical issues into fight night. The rest is just bruises.

Comment

Originally posted by Kagami Taiga View Post
                  Floyd supposedly schooled Pernell in sparring. Floyd got into a heated session with Lamont Peterson. Mike Tyson supposedly got the best of Lennox Lewis when they were younger.
                  It was actually Lewis who got the better of Tyson every time they sparred.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer_of_Sheep View Post
                    It was actually Lewis who got the better of Tyson every time they sparred.
                    That might be right. It's been a while since I heard the tale.

Btw deathofaclown eluded to it so he probably has it right.
                    Last edited by Kagami Taiga; 12-27-2015, 12:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dr.french View Post
                      Canelo brutally koed Ishada twice? Jesus. You can effectively spar with someone and not go for that brutal KO.

Do you have a source? It's actually really dangerous to continue fighting after a KO. Really stupid.

Hunter has a different way of training. He doesn't believe in brutal gym wars. Some MMA fighters are also going this route. I think it's idiotic to try and KO each other in sparring. You're going to wear yourself out, not to mention get serious brain injuries and issues.
                      There's an interview with GGG on yt by the Kazakh media, it was posted here not long ago, tbh I dont remember the video's title or even the subject, but he mentions that Canelo Ko'd Ishida twice, and brutally apparently, he even mentions hospital checks. The translation might be faulty but I tend to believe it, as there's footage on yt of Canelo bullying Ishida around in sparring, eventhough it's cut short.

Comment

Working...
                      X