Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why dont pros dip their rear knee much when they throw a straight right?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FlatLine View Post
    Properly thrown shots aren't always quicker. I gave an example in the last post of Floyd KOing Ortiz without a "properly thrown" straight right. He threw it that somewhat unconventional way because it was the quickest route to the target, and was necessary to execute in that manner, given the available time.

Getting caught up with textbook techniques I think can sometimes be more of a hindrance rather than beneficial. Some people can never even get used to an orthodox stance, it renders them completely ineffective because it can be too far-removed from their natural fighting stance. The same can apply with punch technique, footwork, head/body movement, guard, feints and so on.. They can all be performed in various ways, conventional or unconventional, yet can still retain comparable efficacy across the board.
    Sorry I don't want an argument so we'll just leave it here.. But the quote "Never is the temptation to run before you can walk more powerful than in the sport of boxing, but you must learn to stand in place before you can throw punches" exists for a reason, I know I botched it but it's from memory so forgive me....You have to know the the book IMO before you can discount it...Guys like Roy Jones and Hamed didn't IMHO, they just had the speed to compensate.

Comment

Originally posted by FlatLine View Post
      Properly thrown shots aren't always quicker. I gave an example in the last post of Floyd KOing Ortiz without a "properly thrown" straight right. He threw it that somewhat unconventional way because it was the quickest route to the target, and was necessary to execute in that manner, given the available time.

Getting caught up with textbook techniques I think can sometimes be more of a hindrance rather than beneficial. Some people can never even get used to an orthodox stance, it renders them completely ineffective because it can be too far-removed from their natural fighting stance. The same can apply with punch technique, footwork, head/body movement, guard, feints and so on.. They can all be performed in various ways, conventional or unconventional, yet can still retain comparable efficacy across the board.
      Falling in behind your right hand is very conventional, it just serves a different purpose to the punch we are discussing....Really, Loads of guys do that. Setting it up though is what separates a Floyd from a Broner though...

I hear you but I disagree....If everything else was equal then technique would rule the day....

Comment

Originally posted by PivotandRoll View Post
        Because they suck, it's really that simple. It's stuff like this that honestly makes me question the level of boxing at times, guys like Rios who resign themselves to fighting the "wrong" way piss me off so much..

Canelo/Frampton...both have really good right hands...Diego Chaves has a great one ...All similar styles..All guys who has mastered the technique, doesn't mean they can always execute it..Lara's left...Joshua's right hand was pretty good while Whyte's was embarrassing , he was literally slapping

Broner and Floyd have great right hands...

The simple truth is there are world champion boxers who don't throw their punches properly ...
        Pretty much this. And that's both a pro, and con of boxing. The fact is that you can reach a high level of boxing without being a complete fighter, and that in part leads to the old addage "styles make fights" holding true. Beyond the fact that fighters are trained and develop different styles and have their own personal touch on them, but on top of that, a true complete fighter is very rare. You can reach an elite level with one significant attribute or two: you can have power and a chin, but lack ring iq, have poor footwork, and have a poor jab for example.

Someone earlier mentioned movement, and that's a factor as well. I know when I am sparring or even working the bag, I can throw my straight right second nature textbook, but I have to be planted well in order to do so, and in a fight I am often in movement, and depending on the type of punch I want to throw, I may plant and pivot and follow through in a pure textbook fashion, or I may throw a flurry of 1's and 2's and when I do a shoeshine style combo I either don't move my feet, step forward while punching, or am on my toes in proper stance or facing my opponent with my body, as if I am on the ropes, it really depends on what I want to do.

And that's because I have practiced for years and years how to throw my straight rights and right hooks with the same speed as my left hooks and jab, and I practice throwing it from different levels, different angles, off the back foot, mid pivot, off balance, as a counter, as a lead, etc.

Comment

you know who dips their knee much? your mom when she goes straight dick sucking you motha****a!

Comment

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
            Pretty much this. And that's both a pro, and con of boxing. The fact is that you can reach a high level of boxing without being a complete fighter, and that in part leads to the old addage "styles make fights" holding true. Beyond the fact that fighters are trained and develop different styles and have their own personal touch on them, but on top of that, a true complete fighter is very rare. You can reach an elite level with one significant attribute or two: you can have power and a chin, but lack ring iq, have poor footwork, and have a poor jab for example.

Someone earlier mentioned movement, and that's a factor as well. I know when I am sparring or even working the bag, I can throw my straight right second nature textbook, but I have to be planted well in order to do so, and in a fight I am often in movement, and depending on the type of punch I want to throw, I may plant and pivot and follow through in a pure textbook fashion, or I may throw a flurry of 1's and 2's and when I do a shoeshine style combo I either don't move my feet, step forward while punching, or am on my toes in proper stance or facing my opponent with my body, as if I am on the ropes, it really depends on what I want to do.

And that's because I have practiced for years and years how to throw my straight rights and right hooks with the same speed as my left hooks and jab, and I practice throwing it from different levels, different angles, off the back foot, mid pivot, off balance, as a counter, as a lead, etc.
            I work a lot on punching while Moving...And TBH at first it kinda looked like that funny video of Alvarado shadowboxing..That's how unnatural it felt....But now I can throw continuous combinations while moving.... Practice truly makes perfect and smart work really laughs in the face of hard work.

A great tip for punching is what I call statue freezing... I throw a punch, say a jab, then freeze when it's fully extended. I then correct any mistakes in my form from head to toe and repeat until I don't have to correct it. I then move on to the right hand....Then the left hook and on and on...THEN I do it with the 1-2 and the same principal applies.

I love teaching and explaining boxing tbh. The craft of the sport is a thing of beauty.

Comment

I work a lot on punching while Moving...And TBH at first it kinda looked like that funny video of Alvarado shadowboxing..That's how unnatural it felt....But now I can throw continuous combinations while moving.... Practice truly makes perfect and smart work really laughs in the face of hard work.

A great tip for punching is what I call statue freezing... I throw a punch, say a jab, then freeze when it's fully extended. I then correct any mistakes in my form from head to toe and repeat until I don't have to correct it. I then move on to the right hand....Then the left hook and on and on...THEN I do it with the 1-2 and the same principal applies.

I love teaching and explaining boxing tbh. The craft of the sport is a thing of beauty.
              Agreed. It's a special sport to be a part of. Very complex. I like that drill, sounds like it would work.

Practice indeed does make perfect.

Comment

Try turning your body fully into a right hand against a good fast counter puncher and see what changes you make out of necessity. You'll see plenty of fighters who sacrifice defense for offence sit down more on their punches. I'm not sure what you mean by driving with the legs anyway. The power comes from turning the hips...as long as the stance isn't too wide and the toes are dug in, you should be able to generate enough torque to punch hard.

Comment

Falling in behind your right hand is very conventional, it just serves a different purpose to the punch we are discussing....Really, Loads of guys do that. Setting it up though is what separates a Floyd from a Broner though...

I hear you but I disagree....If everything else was equal then technique would rule the day....
                  yes but you could say that about anything.

If everything else was equal then (insert ability) would rule the day....
                  : ability to take a punch
                  hitting harder
                  :being tougher
                  : being faster
                  etc...

all I'm saying is that boxing is a very unique sport where "perfect boxing technique" plays a relatively small part in someone's eventual success.

Comment

Originally posted by roademier View Post
                    yes but you could say that about anything.

If everything else was equal then (insert ability) would rule the day....
                    : ability to take a punch
                    hitting harder
                    :being tougher
                    : being faster
                    etc...

all I'm saying is that boxing is a very unique sport where "perfect boxing technique" plays a relatively small part in someone's eventual success.
                    And only one of the things we mentioned is learned and not only an improved natural attribute. Skill is the defining attribute, at least it's supposed to be.

Here's a thought experience, who's better skilled? Manny? Marquez? or Floyd?

Most will say Floyd right out the gate while I one the other hand think it is Marquez and tbh I don't think it's close. Of course it's only speculation but if Marquez was taller, faster, had more reach and faster reflexes than Floyd the fight would not last 30 seconds....most people can't comprehend this type of thinking unfortunately..

Comment

Not wise to exalt yourself above career professionals. You could be missing something. Exaggerated easy to track movements are used to acclimate yourself to a very worthy concept of form... But as you gain proficiency and your efficiency of movement and momentum increases, you can accomplish the same thing... Doing less. Doing less and accomplishing just as much.. is good because it keeps you more able to transition at any given point in time. It leaves you less exposed. I believe I've had this convo with u b4. Or one like u. Advanced Coiling and releasing is a very internal concept and not exactly easy for the eye to catch. Many pro boxers have eschewed over exaggerated movements for more internal concepts that keep them in better balance during combat.

Comment

Working...
                      X