No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Fury To Honor Klitschko Rematch, Likely Vacate IBF Title

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by saint laurent
    Wladimir did not have the power to force a rematch clause on Fury as Fury was the MANDATORY challenger. Fury VOLUNTARILY agreed to a rematch clause because he was paid handsomely to do so. He knew the IBF mandatory was due and that in the event he beat Klitschko, he'd most likely have to give up the IBF title to honor the rematch clause. He made a business decision to accept payment for the clause. Nobody forced him to do it.

The organizations should not be expected to delay mandatories to accomodate rematch clauses. Organization rules make it very clear that rematch clauses are not valid.

At the end of the day, it's a loss for the sport. Fury deserves to be recognized as the #1 heavyweight in the world, but it hurts Fury, the IBF and the sport as a whole for Fury to throw the belt away. Makes you wonder how confident his team was that he was going to win because there'd be no reason to accept payment for a rematch clause if you're confident you're going to win.
    If that's true then fair enough. But if you think it's a loss for Fury or the sport you're very much mistaken. This is a loss for the IBF only. Fury doesn't just deserve to be the number 1 heavyweight in the world, he is the number one heavyweight in the world. Everyone knows it, and no amount of BS title fights by meaningless sanctioning orgs is going to change that. Believe me, the IBF will regret their decision big time for not giving Fury leeway in this.

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Cipher View Post
      This is 4 fighters already being ducked by this big dumb goofy Turd. Dudes been "Champion" for 4 days and he's already written off fighting the top 4 challengers and is already losing a belt. What a big dumb goofy Turd.
      He is fighting Klitschko in immediate rematch, you " big dumb goofy Turd " !!

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
        I know, the NERVE of them to actually enforce their rules. They should be like the other sanctioning bodies who throw out the rule book every time they smell a nickel......

You fkn nerve of you...... making a girl out of yourself last week by supporting the WBC when they did EXACTLY that.

You support the rules, when it suits you..... and you support those other sanctioning bodies, when it suits you.

Comment

Because he wanted extra money. He was the mandatory, so he was in the driving seat. He didn't have to accept anything Wladimir handed out to him.
          I'm shocked that Fury had any real say in the negotiations at all. You make it sound like this was a fight between equals. Wlad's a well known control freak and could have easily strong armed Fury's team into accepting the clause. But I'll defer to your greater knowledge on the subject since you seem pretty adamant that this wasn't the case.

I stick by my point however, that this is going to come back and bite the IBF in the arse.

Comment

Oh yeah how long has Glazkov been waiting for his mandatory?

Vyacheslav Glazkov vs Charles Martin for the belt

Comment

Vicious -

Haymon does about equal business with the WBC and WBA. Between the two, he usually has about a dozen world champions at any given time. He's also now starting to accumulate IBF titles as well. He pretty much ignores the WBO, which has become the Top Rank/HBO championship.

Fury Win -

Wladimir did not have the power to force a rematch clause on Fury as Fury was the MANDATORY challenger. Fury VOLUNTARILY agreed to a rematch clause because he was paid handsomely to do so. He knew the IBF mandatory was due and that in the event he beat Klitschko, he'd most likely have to give up the IBF title to honor the rematch clause. He made a business decision to accept payment for the clause. Nobody forced him to do it.

The organizations should not be expected to delay mandatories to accomodate rematch clauses. Organization rules make it very clear that rematch clauses are not valid.

At the end of the day, it's a loss for the sport. Fury deserves to be recognized as the #1 heavyweight in the world, but it hurts Fury, the IBF and the sport as a whole for Fury to throw the belt away. Makes you wonder how confident his team was that he was going to win because there'd be no reason to accept payment for a rematch clause if you're confident you're going to win.
              oh please team fury never even thought losing was a possibility

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
                The IBF rules CLEARLY state that they do not recognize rematch clauses.

So what ?

The WBC did not mandate the WBA champ Wladimir Klitschko to Deontay Wilder, even AFTER Klitschko beat their #1 guy Povetkin..... and yet they played a completely different tune with the HBO fighter and WBA champ Gennady "money" Golovkin..... and yet you supported that no problem.

Comment

For the love of God can I get a GGG thread today boxingscene?!

Let me get that Ward lol or some more of that Kovalev is racist sht I like that

Fckin GGG it's been 2 fcking days lmaO next superstar my ass you boring FCK

This sht never happened to Floyd lmaO in fact Floyd is getting more spin than Golovkin and he's fcking retired

Comment

Originally posted by PittyPat View Post
                    And this is exactly what I feared would happen, even though I like Fury and find him hugely entertaining. Sure, it's nice to have a fresh face at the top of the HW division and the entire sport of boxing itself, but it also means the unified titles are heading straight to splitsville just like in 1993.

It took 5 years for Wladimir to unify them with hard work and patiently fighting all mandatories, and the WBC was/is almost within reach, so this is not a good thing.
                    Blame the IBF, not Fury. IBF won't even abide by their own rules. Or at least the way I understand it, the champ has a year to fight the mandatory. Now, Glazkov/Wilder may happen, but either likely gets owned by Fury. IBF needs to get it together. All this does is confuse casual fans (and some hardcore fans). In a perfect world, there would be ONE title... but long ago some money ho figured out how to capitalize and make the sanctioning organizations big cash cows. Maddening stuff really.

Comment

New Title: Fury to honor fans and land solid punches. Klitschko to honor fans and not mug and hold and actually fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X