Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Canelo what you considered a "slick" boxer?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nivek535 View Post
    no.
    one of the first pre-requisites to being a slick fighter is being black.
    not black enough to be slick.
    according to NSB.
    hahaha
    lol
    Amir Imam was "slick doe" and look what happened to him

Comment

Yes he is a slick and skillful boxer. He certainly isn't more defensive than offensive. He is a good boxer but he comes to fight and he is almost always coming forward. He will risk getting hit to land his own power punches but he does a good job of defending himself while he attacks. He is an aggressive boxer-puncher. He is no Mayweather for boxing skills but he is a good boxer.

Comment

Originally posted by Bardock View Post
        lol
        Amir Imam was "slick doe" and look what happened to him
        haha damn, i actually had a lot of hope in the kid.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
          Not even close. "Slick" implies reliance on quick reflexes, counter-punching, good movement. Canelo is developing skill but he's not remotely a slick boxer. Very flat-footed. Watch the Kirkland fight and tell me where he behaves like a slick boxer. Or, the Lara fight where he's fighting an actual slick boxer. BTW, there's nothing wrong with him not being one.
          TBH, I think Canelo has great reflexes and he is a counter puncher but I do agree about him being flat footed. I think "most" people mistake handspeed with reflexes, I dont think Canelo is a quick handed as his reflexes make him look. Ring movement I think is a bit overused when referenced to the word slick, I think Whittaker was one of the slickest boxers to date and he didnt use the entire ring like Lara does, neither does Ward really. But I see your point...

Comment

no.
            according to NSB.
            hahaha
            lol, sad but true...

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
              TBH, I think Canelo has great reflexes and he is a counter puncher but I do agree about him being flat footed. I think "most" people mistake handspeed with reflexes, I dont think Canelo is a quick handed as his reflexes make him look. Ring movement I think is a bit overused when referenced to the word slick, I think Whittaker was one of the slickest boxers to date and he didnt use the entire ring like Lara does, neither does Ward really. But I see your point...
              Yea, as far a movement goes, I'm thinking less about utilizing the ring and more about creating angles and using the hips/shoulders/feet to move without actually traveling far. Slick boxers usually have great movement in the hips that allows them to get out of the way without much foot movement (Toney, Hopkins, Mayweather, etc). Aside from the gifs people love to post, Cotto was generally "slicker" than Canelo in the fight. Where Canelo excels is sitting down on his punches. That's pretty much where he wins all his fights.

Canelo is beginning to set traps, integrate more defense, and use other advanced techniques which puts him at the level of a premiere puncher. I think people see that and want to use the "slick" label but that would be ignoring his bread and butter. Lara sat down on his punches in his last fight but I'm not prepared to call him a puncher. Lara is still a slick "runner" and Canelo is still a puncher with versatility.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
                Ive noticed Canelo has gained a fanbase of boxings purists. I am assuming its because he is more defensive vice offensive type of fighter. With that said, is Canelo slick?
                I consider him Puerto Rico's NEW GODFATHER.

Jose Cotto
                Kermit Cintron
                Kneeguel Cotto

.... line 'em up!

Comment

pull counter with an uppercut>any pullcounters mayweather ever done.

Canelo is the slickest motherfucker out in the last decade.

Comment

no.
                    according to NSB.
                    hahaha
                    Yep cause Willie Pep and Locche are black

Comment

i believe so.

Comment

Working...
                      X