Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Mayweather Rips Roach For His Work In Cotto’s Corner

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only interesting point he brings up is, if the trainer is not 100%, the fighter won't be 100%.

Comment

I agree with Floyd when he said that Freddie would haveto tell Cotto that he was losing and to push himself more beucase otherwise he lose.

I remember Freddie saying he was doing ok when it was clear he was losing rounds

Comment

Seems Floyd's pissed off because he lost his 50th fight. But still makes some valid points.

Comment

The way Floyd was talking, I almost expected him to tell Cotto to come see him for the rematch with Canelo! It kind of had that whole vibe in the article. That would probably be a selling point to a rematch, Cotto working with Mayweather on some Balboa/Creed storyline.

Comment

I agree with Floyd that roach did a terrible job in the corner. Never told cotto the truth that he was losing rounds and never switched up the strategy when it was clear canelo defense and countering was making cotto ineffective round after round. Roach seemed as clueless and confused as Cotto.

But all the other shots by Floyd and bringing up roach fighting career is lame. What that got to do with him as a trainer? And you must be an idiot if you think Manny fought the same way before getting with roach.

Comment

In my eyes he is not a legendary trainer...every fighter he is known for training was already a good fighter or a champion before he got them, and under him they'd fight catchweights and guys after they got battered

Never guided someone to a title from scratch, every legendary trainer has guys they got in the amatuers or early in their career and guided them to the world rankings and then world titles.....Roach is a product of Eddie Futch and that's how he got a lot of his clientele, when he got Manny Pacquaio his popularity went through the roof but every known fighter he has was a good fighter before he got them

Also his fighters don't adjust well mid fight, one trick pony's
              Look at Cotto's last 3 wins

Look at Manny's career past 130.....he beat a lot of fighters coming off of grueling fights whether they won or lost or ko losses, and catchweights

Comment

I dont understand why some people is expecting to see a completely new Cotto or something, at this late in his career, no boxer will be able to adapt to the new things he has learned and apply it for all 12 rounds. There is just no way for a boxer at this late in his career to be able to do this. Even if Floyd came out of retirement, switch trainer, floyd will come back out fighting like the old Floyd with "some" new changes but majority of time it will be the old Floyd.

What Roach did to Cotto was improve his punching, he's turning into his punches more now, make him feel more comfortable by throwing his left hook again by making him set up his punches more. Roach also made Cotto more lighter on his feet and a little bit more aggressive.

If u feel there is completely no difference, go look at Cotto's old fights under Pedro Diaz. When Cotto was fighting under Diaz, Cotto box a lot more and didnt really commit to his punches. If Cotto was still fighting for Diaz, Cotto would have gone all 12 rounds with Delvin Rodriguez, Martinez and Geale, possibly losing in one of these matches or struggle.

Cotto just got beat by a better fighter, there is nothing Roach or any other trainer can do that will help him. Its not like Roach was telling Cotto to go and brawl with Canelo. I actually thought Roach was saying all the right things in the corner in between rounds and this is rare nowadays from Roach.

Comment

One thing i notice in between rounds when Roach is giving Cotto instructions is that Cotto would repeat those instructions back to Roach like to make Roach feel that Cotto is on the same page as him or maybe Cotto is doing that to psyhc himself up to make him believe in himself or something. I just thought it was funny when Roach would say u gotta move more when u throw ok. then Cotto would repeat ok, move more when i throw lol.

Comment

Comments here imply that Cotto is a multi-skilled boxer.....he's NOT!

He is what he is and Freddy was actually keeping him moving and throwing.
                    Cotto has been a good fighter throughout his career but anyone who thinks he's a great fighter is delusional. Good fighters can be in great fights (which this wasn't) and that doesn't make them great fighters.
                    Freddy & Cotto thought they did enough to win, most of their fans seem to think so too.
                    They didn't win and it hurts to fail, the scores didn't represent the actions but the winner did win.
                    WSSD; nothing new with that interaction, its been done many times before.
                    What fighters did the Mayweathers ever train, people act like they trained themselves when they fought! What contenders did Floyd Sr. develop did Roger ever have a kid win state, regional & national titles other than Jr.?

Fighters moved to Wild Card Freddy didn't steal anyone like a lot of other trainers do!
                    Freddy's basic style comes from a pressure attack and his defense is slipping and countering. He doesn't go into blocks or perring then countering he wants the offense to generate defense.
                    I don't think there's any question that Cotto has done better with Freddy, Cotto was a beat fighter and close to opponent status prior to Freddy. I don't blame his past team on that it was on him.
                    When the fighter wins hail the fighter, when he looses the trainer failed hahaha what else is new!
                    Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                      Comments here imply that Cotto is a multi-skilled boxer.....he's NOT!

He is what he is and Freddy was actually keeping him moving and throwing.
                      Cotto has been a good fighter throughout his career but anyone who thinks he's a great fighter is delusional. Good fighters can be in great fights (which this wasn't) and that doesn't make them great fighters.
                      Freddy & Cotto thought they did enough to win, most of their fans seem to think so too.
                      They didn't win and it hurts to fail, the scores didn't represent the actions but the winner did win.
                      WSSD; nothing new with that interaction, its been done many times before.
                      What fighters did the Mayweathers ever train, people act like they trained themselves when they fought! What contenders did Floyd Sr. develop did Roger ever have a kid win state, regional & national titles other than Jr.?

Fighters moved to Wild Card Freddy didn't steal anyone like a lot of other trainers do!
                      Freddy's basic style comes from a pressure attack and his defense is slipping and countering. He doesn't go into blocks or perring then countering he wants the offense to generate defense.
                      I don't think there's any question that Cotto has done better with Freddy, Cotto was a beat fighter and close to opponent status prior to Freddy. I don't blame his past team on that it was on him.
                      When the fighter wins hail the fighter, when he looses the trainer failed hahaha what else is new!
                      Ray
                      cant agree more with that. Freddie must be doing something right to have all these fighters running to him. I think behind close doors, Freddie does give out a lot of knowledge, its just that when there's a camera in front of Roach, he turns into mr.hollywood.

Comment

Working...
                      X