Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Canelo fight Golovkin next or another top 10 MW first?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He should fight ggg straight up. Testing the waters with another MW is pointless because he would be dragging them down to 155. GGG makes weight with ease and has wanted the belt for quiet some time.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
      I am a big fan of Canelo and GGG. The right thing for Canelo to do would be to fight GGG at 160 pounds in his very next fight which is supposed to be in May. If he doesn't want to do this he should vacated the WBC title which would then go to GGG. He could still fight whoever he wanted to and the purists would still recognize him as the lineal middleweight champion. I don't see any other right answer to your question. GGG has been the number 1 contender for the WBC middleweight title for years now. The time for stalling him off should be over and he shouldn't have to wait any more. Either fight him at the proper 160 pounds or hand him the WBC belt. That's my take on it anyway.
      I agree 100%

Comment

Ideally Canelo should move up to 160, fight someone solid, then fight GGG in September next year.

Reality is different though, Canelo will wait till 2017 and ask for a catchweight 157-158.

Comment

The timing probably won't be important in terms of the outcome. GB may want to showcase Canelo again and reap the financial rewards before he's put in a position where his brand and Q rating will likely take a hit from an L.

Comment

Since he's the middleweight champion of the world, absolutely. You want to be middleweight champion then you have to take on the responsibilities of being middleweight champion.

Comment

He should fight him next.

Comment

Canelo vs Lemieux makes sense as a good test for Canelo at 160 and everyone can compare his performance with Lemieux to GGG's plus it's an in house fight. Win win situation for Golden Boy from a business stand point and a good scrap IMO.

Comment

I cant believe the damage Sergio caused to the MW division. Taking Cotto for the money but also thinking he was a cherry pick. The cherry pick goes work GGG doesn't get his chance Cotto fights Geale who GGG just KO'd and now another guy in his own made up division of 155 holds the Lineal status and 160lb belt, just........

Comment

He has the lineage now, and given how long Golovkin's been waiting for a shot at the real championship he should probably fight him.

From Canelo's perspective it makes more sense to fight a real middleweight first. But it also probably makes sense to avoid Golovkin altogether.

Comment

Originally posted by RetroSpeed05 View Post
                      I cant believe the damage Sergio caused to the MW division. Taking Cotto for the money but also thinking he was a cherry pick. The cherry pick goes work GGG doesn't get his chance Cotto fights Geale who GGG just KO'd and now another guy in his own made up division of 155 holds the Lineal status and 160lb belt, just........
                      The Sergio-Cotto fight was always a potential disaster. But it could have been a lot worse. Cotto could have fought Floyd or Manny for the middleweight lineage which would have been truly disgusting. Canelo was easily the lesser of two evils.

Comment

Working...
                      X