Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So was the new improved Cotto just smoke a mirrors?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If anything he looked better physically since he joined Roach. But I guess most of that credit goest to his s&c coach.

Comment

I'm not a fan of either as my preferred outcome for the fight was a double ko.
      But regardless Cotto disappointed me. I never imagined he would be so ineffective. I don't think much of Canelo and the fact that Cotto wasn't able to capitalize on the myriad of holes that Canelo has is shameful.
      Cotto's not really a boxer but **** it can't be that hard to outbox Canelo.

Comment

Cotto is a good fighter, a tough opponent for anyone, but never quite got over that hump. Sure, he beat Martinez, but it was just a "at the right time" type of a win. I will consistently say this: Freddie Roach is a good matchmaker and good at stipulation fight conditions that benefit his fighters. It seems as if nearly all the big fights Freddie Roach is a part of have a catch-weight stipulation. I think he's overrated as a trainer.

Comment

Cotto was too small for Canelo.

Whether it was all smoke and mirrors remains to be seen. I'd like to see Cotto fight some solid opposition at 154...

It'd be amazing if Khan vs. Cotto happens at 154.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
            He looked slow,weak and threw the same combo's over and over again last night. I was rooting for him and picked him to win,but honestly he looked pretty bad last night. At times Canelo was even playing with him and looked bored at times.
            Cotto's straight right was doing some good damage and I dont know why he stopped using it, and his left hook did not seem to be landing with authority. I felt like he was just working the mitts.

He did not used angles like I was hopping he was going to do.

Now, Canelo is on his prime, had a 20lb advantage and we know Cotto is passed his prime, with 20 years of boxing and some hard wars with some serious scar tissue damage...and the younger lion with this "extraordinary" power could not stop or seriously hurt #WarCotto.

Also, the HBO team was a disgrace to boxing journalism, wow!!

Congrats to Canelo, he did win the fight but honestly, the cards were a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by FLYBOY View Post

Whether it was all smoke and mirrors remains to be seen.
              I'd like to see Cotto fight some solid opposition at 154...

Pretty much this. Cotto actually looked good to me, didn't gas or anything.

I'd like to see Cotto-Lara but obviously boxing politics would prevent that.

Comment

Whether it was all smoke and mirrors remains to be seen. I'd like to see Cotto fight some solid opposition at 154...

You don't see the irony in this?

Comment

Size cant be used as an excuse can it?? Mayweather is smaller then Cotto and Canelo

Comment

Originally posted by megas30 View Post
                    Cotto should have fought his career as a southpaw. He has the same limitation as Oscar has had....neither has a right hand. Roach is is horrible trainer. Freddie has all his fighters fighting with that in and out style, rather than teaching them technique. Also, that stupidness that Cotto does putting his right gloves over the left side of his face to block punches annoys the hell out of me. He should be slipping and setting up counters.
                    This.

It looks bad, even if he's blocking the punches, looks like he's cowering.

Comment

After finally watching Cotto against a good, in shape, skilled opponent like Canelo, I can safely claim his stint with Roach hasn't been smoke and mirrors completely.

I used to think the ¨rejuvenated under Roach¨ Cotto was a total fraud, who had created the illusion of being better than he actually was by being carefully matched, against a bum like Delvin Rodriguez, the legless corpse of Sergio Martinez and a zombified, weight drained Geale

But truth is, he showed in the best shape of his career for the Canelo match and was quite competitive there. He moved more than ever in this match and didn't gas in the later rounds like he usually does, he showed good skills with his stick and move strategy (eventhough it wasn't enough). and thanks to that he managed to go the distance and steal some rounds.

The old Cotto, who was prone to brawling and walking to his opponent would have gotten KTFO. It was pretty clear he couldn't outbrawl Canelo at all, ginger was too big, too strong, too sharp with those counters. Cotto only tried to brawl in round 8 and it backfired terribly. but despite being vastly outmatched in power, toughness and counterpunching skills, Cotto still made it a close fight

In short, eventhough he lost to Canelo, I think Cotto has truly improved under Roach in some aspects, as hes still a threat to anyone (not named Lara) at 154. he doesn't belong at MW
                      Last edited by lopetego; 11-23-2015, 05:50 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

Working...
                      X