No announcement yet.

Flash Back interview from 2005: Mayweather interview before Gatti PPV

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post

Vivian....who?? Just kidding, just being real Vivian wasn't that good and didn't bring much to the table....Gatti brought the money and name recognition

He wanted to fight Hatton but that didn't materialize

He had far bigger fish to fry than Vivian Harris

Also, if you don't remember Harris got knocked out by ordinary Carlos Maussa on the undercard of Mayweather vs Gatti.....he messed up a unification fight for himself....SMDH
    We're talking prior to Maussa fight. Back when Harris destroyed Hurtado then handled Mbaye and Urkal 2x. He was a freakish 5'11 JWW with KO power.

The WBA made Floyd their mandatory in 2004, Floyd fought Corely then Bruseles instead of Harris.

Vivian Harris on Floyd in 2004: “Floyd Mayweather is scared of me. He makes it seem like he’s not scared of me. He’s scared of me…I think that Floyd is not ready for me. I’ve been in more tougher fights than Floyd’s been in. Floyd just handpicks opponents. Vivian Harris is getting thrown to the dogs and I win all my fights. And I definitely think I’m ready for Floyd. He’s too small for me. And that’s why he don’t want to fight me.”

“Trinidad came back after two years. He didn’t have to fight a tough guy like Mayorga. He could have taken a few easy fights. But he’s a true champion. Trinidad just wants to show the world he is one of the best. Floyd don’t want to do that. Floyd fought Chop Chop (Corley) who just lost – all right, we’ll give him that. We’ll give him one easy one. Then after beating (Corley) he talks like he’s pound for pound. Then he’s offered to fight Vivian Harris. He could get more money than me. (The deal with Main Events was) if he beats me he gets 50-50 with Gatti-Leija winner (Gatti was also promoted by Main Events). And he turned it down. He’d rather face Bruseles because he don’t want to face Vivian Harris. Remember, Floyd was my mandatory at one time. Floyd dropped out, that’s how (Oktay) Urkal became my mandatory for the second time. My inside source told me Floyd turned me down three times. All the greats in boxing want to stay on top. They want to prove they are the best by fighting the best. Floyd wants to fight Bruseles.”
    http://www.boxing insider.com/headlines/vivian-harris-first-exposed-floyd-as-a-ducker/

Comment

Originally posted by Eastcoast View Post
      We're talking prior to Maussa fight. Back when Harris destroyed Hurtado then handled Mbaye and Urkal 2x. He was a freakish 5'11 JWW with KO power.

The WBA made Floyd their mandatory in 2004, Floyd fought Corely then Bruseles instead of Harris.

http://www.boxing insider.com/headlines/vivian-harris-first-exposed-floyd-as-a-ducker/
      I get that, but what im saying is Harris just wasn't that good...he was no better than Corely so its not like he missed out on fighting Oscar or Pacquaio or something

Had he beat Maussa he may have got a unification fight with Hatton or Floyd but he dropped the ball

If you are insinuating he ducked him, that's hogwash to me considering Floyd had already faced dangerous fighters like Corrales, Castillo 2x, Genaro Hernandez and was lineal at two weights with 11 total defenses

Mayweather is the point in his career where he wanted to become a star and make big bucks.....Harris didn't bring that, Gatti, dlh and Hatton did

Lets be real man, Harris had no chance and look at the fighters he lost to before and after that source you pulled up...soon as the fight ended people would've been whining like they always do and be like.....why didn't he fight hatton.....why didn't he fight Gatti....it was a mismatch...rinse wash repeat

Face it bro, Harris was a decent trinket holder but he just wasn't a threat and brought no money to the table

Comment

Originally posted by HWChampion View Post
        Another thread about mayfeather? The realfartist why create another cfloyd thread when you made an appreciation thread? Sad human.
        you do know, you have a choice whether to read or post right....whats sad....human....you wasted 10 seconds out of your life to post in a thread that you don't like and are *****in@ about....oh yea lose the alt bro, its very unbecoming

Comment

Isn't Floyd retired? Shouldn't all these Mayweather threads be in the history forum?

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Comment

The Maussa fight was to give Vivian a name since it was on a PPV undercard. He flopped miserably.

No one ducked Harris because no one cared about Harris. And he wasn't that good to begin with and it showed in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
              I mean seriously? Vivian Harris? So if anyone says "Fight me, Floyd!" and Floyd doesn't fight him it's ducking, huh? Anyone, huh? Dudes here are so pathetic. And he had the nerve to ask me when I started watching the sport.
              Vivian....freaking.....harris

PUUUUUUUUHLEASE.....dude wouldn't even be a top 12 win in Floyd's career

Dude lost to espn level fight Sucra Ray Olivera...I saw the fight on espn live

Harris had no chance at all vs Floyd, anybody can call out a bigger fighter, don't mean the bigger fighter ducking...Harris had nothing to offer and didn't add to his pockets or legacy

Comment

Mayweather still ducking Spadafora n Manfredy rematch till this day

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
                  that's right floyd you tell um! they all said baldomir would destroy you but you proved them wrong again. prime margarito, williams, cotto, and pac would have been beaten just like baldomir. everyone knows this and thats why floyd didn't bother fighting them. floyd can't fight all these fake threats that the media cooks up. if he hadn't fought baldomir then they would have said he's ducking baldomir! hell baldomir still would probably be champ right now
                  Please STFU!

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
                    I get that, but what im saying is Harris just wasn't that good...he was no better than Corely so its not like he missed out on fighting Oscar or Pacquaio or something

Had he beat Maussa he may have got a unification fight with Hatton or Floyd but he dropped the ball

If you are insinuating he ducked him, that's hogwash to me considering Floyd had already faced dangerous fighters like Corrales, Castillo 2x, Genaro Hernandez and was lineal at two weights with 11 total defenses

Mayweather is the point in his career where he wanted to become a star and make big bucks.....Harris didn't bring that, Gatti, dlh and Hatton did

Lets be real man, Harris had no chance and look at the fighters he lost to before and after that source you pulled up...soon as the fight ended people would've been whining like they always do and be like.....why didn't he fight hatton.....why didn't he fight Gatti....it was a mismatch...rinse wash repeat

Face it bro, Harris was a decent trinket holder but he just wasn't a threat and brought no money to the table
                    You can't look at it in hindsight, at that period of time Harris had some serious hype behind him. Floyd was made his mando and Main Events tried to make a deal with Floyd/Harris and give Floyd a better cut going into the Gatti fight. Floyd turned it down and instead fought a much weaker fighter in Brussels. That's all fact.

Simple question - Why would Floyd turn down a title shot with Harris that guaranteed him more money vs Gatti for a WBC/WBA unification in favor of Henry Bruseles who was clearly an inferior fighter to Harris and for less money?

He then repeats this action when he turned down big money title fight vs Margarito and fight Baldomir instead. Floyd could've fought Margarito and the Baldomir fight would've still been on the table......

Comment

Originally posted by Eastcoast View Post
                      You can't look at it in hindsight, at that period of time Harris had some serious hype behind him. Floyd was made his mando and Main Events tried to make a deal with Floyd/Harris and give Floyd a better cut going into the Gatti fight. Floyd turned it down and instead fought a much weaker fighter in Brussels. That's all fact.

Simple question - Why would Floyd turn down a title shot with Harris that guaranteed him more money vs Gatti for a WBC/WBA unification in favor of Henry Bruseles who was clearly an inferior fighter to Harris and for less money?

He then repeats this action when he turned down big money title fight vs Margarito and fight Baldomir instead. Floyd could've fought Margarito and the Baldomir fight would've still been on the table......
                      Harris brought nothing to the table....idk what else to tell you and they hype wasn't validated because he lost to almost every good fighter he faced

As far as Margo goes, he could have fought him but guess what....he lost like Harris did and killed his momentum....he lost to a prospect with no wins over top ten opposition in Paul Williams in 2007...the same year he beat two future hall of famers in ODLH and Hatton

Him not fighting those guys isn't hurting his legacy like if he didn't fight Pacquaio, Cotto, Mosley or Hatton

Magarito and Vivian were good solid fighters and its not a duck if youre fighting for higher stakes and better opponents

Winning the lineal 147 title and WBC> WBO trinket vs Margarito

Baldomir at least beat the man who beat the man, Margos best win at that point was over Kermit Cintron who beat nobody and Six heads Lewis who wasn't excellent

you cant rewrite history bro...they killed their own momentum and the public demand for the fights by losing to lesser fighters

Look at Hatton, when his team wasn't ready to fight Floyd in 04-05, he kept winning and had the public demand it

Only hardcore fans even thought of Floyd fighting margo and Vivian....they hadn't done much at the time to earn it nor did they bring anything to the table

Comment

Working...
                      X