No announcement yet.

WBC Just Proved What Belts Mean These Days

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PBP. View Post
    The belt gave him the upper hand in negotiations vs. Canelo and would entice Floyd Mayweather to come back for a 50th fight. If the WBC enforced their rules in the first place, the Geale fight or this fight wouldn't be happening for the WBC title. I'm not applauding them for a business decision. They just wanted a piece of the biggest fight in boxing and Cotto told them to **** off.
    Yeah, Cotto was just using the belt for marketing & negotiation purposes. I can't remember what Canelo guaranteed Miguel the first time around, before Miguel agreed to fight Martinez instead? I think it was atleast $10mill and now he's getting $15mill.

The win over Martinez was huge, but I think he would've been worth just as much if he would've dropped the MW title. Maybe more since he's taken some heat on how he's carried the title.

Comment

Comment

So if Canelo loses GGG is handed another title..lol

Comment

I think this was a calculated move by Cotto. The WBC wouldn't strip Cotto of all people with this kind of timing. He'll have NO OBLIGATION to fight Golovkin should he win now. Canelo probably calling Oscar on his cell to do the same right now! "Oscar, Oscar! Don't pay the sanctioning fee, whatever you do!"

This means if Cotto wins, the WBC belt will be vacant and the WBC will simply elevate GGGs title status from interim champion to full champion. Which would be a pretty ****ing lame way to accomplish a unification, plus, Cotto would still be lineal champion so it would be the same ****ing scenario essentially

Comment

Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
            So if Canelo loses GGG is handed another title..lol
            Yeah man, ducking is funny, innit?

Comment

Originally posted by Eastcoast View Post
              When the contracts were signed, both Canelo/Cotto agreed to pay the sanction fees. Canelo is still agreeing to pay the sanctioning fee where as Cotto so far only paid a step-aside fee. Normally a fighter fights his mandatory and there is no need for a hefty step-aside fee. As Dan Rafael just brought up, Tyson once paid Lewis $4.5mill to step-aside when he was Tyson's mando.

Being stripped for not agreeing to pay the basic sanction fee is not much different than if Cotto failed to make 160lbs and then Canelo would still be fighting for the title.
              Just curious who processes the step aside money does it go through the WBC or does it just go straight to the fighter ?

Comment

Originally posted by lazy View Post
                Belts should be won and lost in the ring. Not in some office.
                Yes! And at their designated weight limit, of course!

Comment

If it is true that Cotto did not agree to pay the sanctioning fee, then I feel as though they've handled it fairly. It would not be right for Canelo to pay the fee and not be recognized as the champion upon victory.

Comment

Originally posted by BrometheusBob View Post
                    If it is true that Cotto did not agree to pay the sanctioning fee, then I feel as though they've handled it fairly. It would not be right for Canelo to pay the fee and not be recognized as the champion upon victory.
                    He already paid Ggg 800k to step aside and waned the sanctioning fee to be reduced but the WBC said no that's why he was stripped

Comment

Apparently Cotto/Roc Nation paid GGG $800K in step aside money then the WBC came in with a sanctioning fee for the Canelo fight of $200K

Cotto has become a prima Donna.
                      And before anyone tells me i hate PR, i spent my first years living in Aguadilla and Mayagüez.

Now, i really wish for Canelo to KO this prima donna.

And by the way, i am 100% against any catchweight of any sorts.

Comment

Working...
                      X