No announcement yet.

WBC Just Proved What Belts Mean These Days

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by imperial1 View Post
    Yeah but saying that if Canelo wins he becomes WBC champ ..Really ? This would be another belt they basically hand to Canelo
    I agree w/ you bro. And if Canelo refuses to fight GGG, then being that he has been made WBC interim champion...they will elevate him to WBC World Champion without even fighting for it...

All I know is that Marvin Haggler won all his belts fighting in the ring!

Comment

Originally posted by eco1 View Post
      Apparently Cotto/Roc Nation paid GGG $800K in step aside money then the WBC came in with a sanctioning fee for the Canelo fight of $200K

Cotto has become a prima Donna.
      And before anyone tells me i hate PR, i spent my first years living in Aguadilla and Mayagüez.

Now, i really wish for Canelo to KO this prima donna.

And by the way, i am 100% against any catchweight of any sorts.

I thought the sanction fee was 300 k and Cotto was trying to negotiate this down

Comment

I thought the sanction fee was 300 k and Cotto was trying to negotiate this down
        The sanctioning fees was $300K, I believed Cotto was looking for $100K, my understanding is they normally do not charge such a high sum for sanctioning fees....

Comment

Originally posted by Razcal26 View Post
          I've always believed the worth of the belts depend on how the fighters treat them.
          Couldn't disagree more with this. The titles have less value than ever. There are too many of them & guys are being stripped for less meaningful reasons, fighters are keeping with more bs going on & the rankings are as nuts as ever. The value of being the most talented guy who's beaten the best fighters is what has value. Belts just help legitimize him when people don't really know that guy yet & then its about the fighter & what he does & the titles are in the trunk pretty much til someone else wins them.

These fighters coming up don't seem to give a damn about the belts.
          I do feel like this is a trend. And I think a good one. The belts have less value than they've had since the beginning of the sport. Its only reasonable to expect the fighters to take note of that.

When these corrupt belts get further diminished in their importance & a new entity has power & influence to create a actual meaningful one champion boxing universe I think it'll happen. With how slow things tend to change in boxing who knows when thats coming doe. I'd give it maybe a 20% chance of happening in the next decade, maybe its a coin flip of happening within the next two decades & probably a 80% chance of happening before I'm pissing & ****ting in diapers again (please science invent some no pee & poop pills for older people before I get that old).

Comment

Originally posted by sugar ray lenrd View Post
            I agree w/ you bro. And if Canelo refuses to fight GGG, then being that he has been made WBC interim champion...they will elevate him to WBC World Champion without even fighting for it...

All I know is that Marvin Haggler won all his belts fighting in the ring!
            Hagler was fortunate enough to come up in an era that had more "fighters" and fewer "businessmen".

Kinda hard to fight someone when they would rather vacate their title than face you, dont you think?

Comment

Originally posted by Eastcoast View Post
              When the contracts were signed, both Canelo/Cotto agreed to pay the sanction fees. Canelo is still agreeing to pay the sanctioning fee where as Cotto so far only paid a step-aside fee. Normally a fighter fights his mandatory and there is no need for a hefty step-aside fee. As Dan Rafael just brought up, Tyson once paid Lewis $4.5mill to step-aside when he was Tyson's mando.

Being stripped for not agreeing to pay the basic sanction fee is not much different than if Cotto failed to make 160lbs and then Canelo would still be fighting for the title.
              Good Post. Green K

Comment

Originally posted by sugar ray lenrd View Post
                The sanctioning fees was $300K, I believed Cotto was looking for $100K, my understanding is they normally do not charge such a high sum for sanctioning fees....
                Oh ok did Canelo pay that much and it's seems more like a strong arm tactic by the WBC to get Canelo another belt

Comment

Oh ok did Canelo pay that much and it's seems more like a strong arm tactic by the WBC to get Canelo another belt
                  They probably charge a percentage. And Cotto is getting 30 million for this fight so.......

Comment

Means more to win a UFC title than a Boxing title now in days.

Comment

Originally posted by Bardock View Post
                      They probably charge a percentage. And Cotto is getting 30 million for this fight so.......
                      typically the sanctioning fee is 3% of the contracted purse, but in mega-fights usually a lower percentage (flat fee) is negotiated. If Cotto is indeed projected to make $30 mil, then $300k is only 1%.......

Comment

Working...
                      X