No announcement yet.

Would any of todays top 122 pounders have a chance against Wilfredo Gomez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would any of todays top 122 pounders have a chance against Wilfredo Gomez

Wilfredo Gomez was one of the most complete fighters ive ever seen. From the beginning of his career til around 1982 he was almost unbeatable with his combination of power, speed, balance, coordination and elusiveness

Of the 3 losses on his ledger, only one came at or near his prime vs all time great and Huge featherweight, Salvador Sanchez

Imo Gomez was a bantamweight who made 122 comfortably and didn't have to drain

At 122 he was undefeated and had solid wins over former champions/titlists Alberto Davila, Yum Dong-kyun,Royal Kobayashi, Leo Cruz, Juan Meza, Carlos Zarate, Lupe Pintor, and relinquished the title as the undefeated champion.

Comment

there is some talent in todays 122lbers but nothing approaching Gomezs level

Comment

This is a tough question and I'm surprised you're the one posing it lol

The version of Rigondeaux who almost shut out Donaire has a shot, heck Donaire himself with his power, speed and reflexes would be able to challenge all that Gomez had. I know, I know, Donaire isn't a SBW anymore but I'm just saying.

In terms of guys below Rigo, Frampton or Quigg, we don't really know how good they are just yet. Not just because of age but because we haven't seen them against the best. In fighting each other, we finally get that opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
          This is a tough question and I'm surprised you're the one posing it lol

The version of Rigondeaux who almost shut out Donaire has a shot, heck Donaire himself with his power, speed and reflexes would be able to challenge all that Gomez had. I know, I know, Donaire isn't a SBW anymore but I'm just saying.

In terms of guys below Rigo, Frampton or Quigg, we don't really know how good they are just yet. Not just because of age but because we haven't seen them against the best. In fighting each other, we finally get that opportunity.
          Life is full of surprises lol

Frampton and Quigg would get sparked out IMO....Rigo is a wild card...skillwise he can hang but he has been hurt by lesser fighters and punchers....He has a shot but would have to fight the perfect fight.....Donaire has only been stopped once and that was by a huge Nicolas Walters at 122 and below Donaire had a great chin and was very explosive....even if he didn't knock you out he'd drop you....Gomez would outbox him for stretches because once Donaire got past 118 he became too reliant on his counter left hook,...I think both would suffer a kd or two but Gomez being a more disciplined boxer and harder puncher would get him a win in a close yet clear decision

Comment

Simply the best super bantham wgt!

Wilfredo Gomez, perhaps the greatest PR fighter of all time. Defended his world tiltle 17 times, winning all of his title defenses by ko! that's 17 ko's...just completly awesome in a 15th rnd era. And he did not have an HBO contract or showtime contract which didn't exist in those days. In other words he was not fed easy fights just to make him look good. Rigondaeux is a good fighter but lets see him clean out his division & then we can compare. Imagine gomez vs Rigondeaux in a schedule 15 rnd fight...I think gomez finally catches him in the 14th rnd & tko's him...

Comment

no. not even rigo has a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
                Life is full of surprises lol

Frampton and Quigg would get sparked out IMO....Rigo is a wild card...skillwise he can hang but he has been hurt by lesser fighters and punchers....He has a shot but would have to fight the perfect fight.....Donaire has only been stopped once and that was by a huge Nicolas Walters at 122 and below Donaire had a great chin and was very explosive....even if he didn't knock you out he'd drop you....Gomez would outbox him for stretches because once Donaire got past 118 he became too reliant on his counter left hook,...I think both would suffer a kd or two but Gomez being a more disciplined boxer and harder puncher would get him a win in a close yet clear decision
                Listen, I'm not saying they'd beat gomez but Rigo and Donaire at the very least have a shot, right?

Frampton I think can be a very, very good fighter. Quigg will be his second breakthrough night imo.

Comment

maybe rigo if his chin holds up.... but thats a very BIG IF

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
                    Listen, I'm not saying they'd beat gomez but Rigo and Donaire at the very least have a shot, right?

Frampton I think can be a very, very good fighter. Quigg will be his second breakthrough night imo.
                    I agree Rigo and Nonito have a shot...they have a better shot than a lot of guys who campaigned at 122

Erik Morales is the only modern junior featherweight who'd be even money in my book

Barrera and Morales are joined by the hip because of their rivalry but although Barrera had the edge in their series, Morales was able to overcome fighters that Barerra couldn't at 122 and other weights like Pacquaio and Junior Jones...Barrera was susceptible to power punchers who threw good straight shots ala Marquez, Morales, Jones, and Pacquaio....Morales had the chin, punch varience, height and reach to push Gomez or even beat him IMO

Comment

Working...
                    X