Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would any of todays top 122 pounders have a chance against Wilfredo Gomez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Gomez who at his peak destroyed the unbeaten Carlos Zarate (52-0) would handle Erik Morales just as easy, if not easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Trinidad_Fan View Post
      The Gomez who at his peak destroyed the unbeaten Carlos Zarate (52-0) would handle Erik Morales just as easy, if not easier.
      I disagree....Zarate had a great record but if you compare his level of opposition and who he beat, Morales was the better fighter

Zarate was very stiff, basic although powerful with good technique but didn't have much in the speed or athleticism department

Morales has better punch variety, a better chin, was naturally larger and a more versatile fighter than Zarate who is an ATG bantamweight but wasn't as formidable above 118

Comment

Hell no. Gomez was a BEAST at 122. One of the best ever at that weight.

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
          I disagree....Zarate had a great record but if you compare his level of opposition and who he beat, Morales was the better fighter

Zarate was very stiff, basic although powerful with good technique but didn't have much in the speed or athleticism department

Morales has better punch variety, a better chin, was naturally larger and a more versatile fighter than Zarate who is an ATG bantamweight but wasn't as formidable above 118

All good points, but Zarate did have a KO win over Alfonso Zamora, another highly-rated Mexican in a battle of unbeatens. Morales had a good chin, but never had to take the barrage of bombs Gomez was capable of unleashing at any time during a fight. I still think it's a clear win for Wilfredo, as you said probably the best P.R. fighter all time.

Comment

Originally posted by Trinidad_Fan View Post
            All good points, but Zarate did have a KO win over Alfonso Zamora, another highly-rated Mexican in a battle of unbeatens. Morales had a good chin, but never had to take the barrage of bombs Gomez was capable of unleashing at any time during a fight. I still think it's a clear win for Wilfredo, as you said probably the best P.R. fighter all time.
            I'd favor Gomez

Zamora was good but only had like 1-3 good wins....A young Eusbio Pedroza, Soo Hwan Hong, and a few title challengers

IMO Morales is a better fighter than Zamora and Zarate and definitely was better suited for 122.

Morales was stopped at 130(weight drained and slightly past prime vs Pacquaio in fights 2 and 3)

Even past prime he went the distance with Marcos Maidana who may not be the p4p puncher Gomez was but was larger stronger and definitely hit harder weighing 140 and Garcia stopped him at 140 in their second fight after a competitive first fight

Gomez would have to knock Morales spark out for him to go away....Morales took Hellacious shots in wins over Barrera and Pacquaio, also survived other wars at various weights

I don't think Morales would beat him but stands a better chance than any 122 pounder in history

Comment

Wilfredo Gomez was one of the most complete fighters ive ever seen. From the beginning of his career til around 1982 he was almost unbeatable with his combination of power, speed, balance, coordination and elusiveness

Of the 3 losses on his ledger, only one came at or near his prime vs all time great and Huge featherweight, Salvador Sanchez

Imo Gomez was a bantamweight who made 122 comfortably and didn't have to drain

At 122 he was undefeated and had solid wins over former champions/titlists Alberto Davila, Yum Dong-kyun,Royal Kobayashi, Leo Cruz, Juan Meza, Carlos Zarate, Lupe Pintor, and relinquished the title as the undefeated champion.
              Could'nt tell you how many times I've watched the Gomez vs. Sanchez fight. What a ****ing fight! Anyways, Gomez kills any 122lber. fighting today. Quigg and Frampton would be nothing more than road kill. No way Rigo withstands his power. Sanchez is pretty much the only guy who took his power and like you said he was a pretty big 126lber, especially for back then, and his chin was straight up granite.

Hell out of all the guys between 122-126. Donaire and Walters are the only guys I would give a legit shot of beating him, and Walters is the only one I would favor.

Comment

Gomez is still king at 122 lbs.

Comment

PED usage now!

If Gomez used PEDs!! He would be a mata myrderer!

Comment

Originally posted by DreamerUSA View Post
                    Could'nt tell you how many times I've watched the Gomez vs. Sanchez fight. What a ****ing fight! Anyways, Gomez kills any 122lber. fighting today. Quigg and Frampton would be nothing more than road kill. No way Rigo withstands his power. Sanchez is pretty much the only guy who took his power and like you said he was a pretty big 126lber, especially for back then, and his chin was straight up granite.

Hell out of all the guys between 122-126. Donaire and Walters are the only guys I would give a legit shot of beating him, and Walters is the only one I would favor.
                    Walters more so because of sheer size, length and strength has a shot....featherweight was not his best weight, I always thought Gomez was a bantamweight moonlighting as a junior feather, he was perfect for the weight.

Donaire because of his chin, natural athleticism and counterpunching would have a decent shot if he caught Gomez right but I see Gomez winning because of his edge is pure boxing prowess and elusiveness

Comment

I agree Rigo and Nonito have a shot...they have a better shot than a lot of guys who campaigned at 122

Erik Morales is the only modern junior featherweight who'd be even money in my book

Barrera and Morales are joined by the hip because of their rivalry but although Barrera had the edge in their series, Morales was able to overcome fighters that Barerra couldn't at 122 and other weights like Pacquaio and Junior Jones...Barrera was susceptible to power punchers who threw good straight shots ala Marquez, Morales, Jones, and Pacquaio....Morales had the chin, punch varience, height and reach to push Gomez or even beat him IMO
                      I came in to say pretty much his.

Comment

Working...
                      X