No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: HBO’s Taffet Still Stunned By 4.6M Buys For May-Pac

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: HBO’s Taffet Still Stunned By 4.6M Buys For May-Pac

As the numbers continue trickling in, the Floyd Mayweather Jr.-Manny Pacquiao pay-per-view showdown has exceeded 4.6 million pay-per-view buys.

That’s nearly twice as many buys produced by the No. 2 fight on the all-time list for pay-per-view purchases, Mayweather-Oscar De La Hoya, which generated about 2.48 million buys in May 2007. The Mayweather-Pacquiao buy rate has stunned even Mark Taffet, boxing’s foremost pay-per-view expert.
    [Click Here To Read More]

he's full of ish on this ocmment..only 1 buy over oscar floyd and u're thrilled stop it....manny was B side and made 100 million they say..floyd was bside vs oscar and made 20 mil...no one would have been f'ing thrilled boxing would be dead as we know it if htat fight didnt do huge number.

hbo would cut their budget (they did anyways) and showtime (dont have much of one to begin with) would to...al haymon would likely takin his hand out of boxing...everyone would have lost if that fight only did 2.5mil...........,

Comment

Originally posted by tiliheels View Post
      he's full of ish on this ocmment..only 1 buy over oscar floyd and u're thrilled stop it....manny was B side and made 100 million they say..floyd was bside vs oscar and made 20 mil...no one would have been f'ing thrilled boxing would be dead as we know it if htat fight didnt do huge number.

hbo would cut their budget (they did anyways) and showtime (dont have much of one to begin with) would to...al haymon would likely takin his hand out of boxing...everyone would have lost if that fight only did 2.5mil...........,
      good post...

Comment

who cares fight was a bust action wise nobody cares everyone is waiting for cotto v.s canelo

Comment

It would be barely believable that such a sum of money coulkd be generated by an outstanding spectacle, sporting or otherwise.

What is truly shocking is that such an incredible amount of money can be generated from such an abysmal product.

In that sense the "fight of the century" is the sporting equivalent of pet rocks.

Comment

It didn't fully kick in for me until I did the math and realized that Genady's PPV did around 2% of this. As a fan of the sport, that's kind of concerning. I want the new stars to do well. Anxiously waiting to see what numbers Canelo will pull. We may never do 4.6m again but hopefully someone can crack a mill in a couple years.

Comment

Originally posted by tiliheels View Post

That's if you believe that was really Manny's cut. Mayweather didn't think so.

Comment

As another poster said when he wouldn't be surprised if when they do a 30 for 30 on this, Al and Bob weren't working together on this.

IMO There is no way this fight does 4.6 mil in 2009.

Comment

i genuinely don't see this number ever being broken. i hope i am wrong.

people can stream these fights in HD. the people who hadn't seen a boxing mathc in years, and who paid for mayaweather - [acquiao, aren't likely to buy another one any time soon.

and $100?
                  that's a lot of money for a working class person with a family. too much to throw away "again."

Comment

I hope it never gets broken matter of fact I hope ppv goes away all together this fight is the reason ppv is a joke. All that hype , the price for what ? A forgettable fight !

Comment

Working...
                    X