Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Debate - If we argue that the amateurs and pros are a completely different game...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debate - If we argue that the amateurs and pros are a completely different game...

Why then are some people complaining about Lomachenko's level of opposition in his first fights? I'm sure a lot of you have seen posters claim that stuff that happens in the amateurs has no real bearing on the professional game and we can't use that as a sole barometer of success or talent.

So really, taking away all that amateur experience and accomplishment, he is still green as hell for a pro, and some leeway has to be given (if of course we are going by the logic that the ams don't really matter)

Although I would love Lomachenko to be fighting champions or highest level championship opposition every fight, i'd be shocked if anyone can find someone who has fought better opposition in his first six fights as a pro. I'll wait.

Of course, the argument can be that Lomachenko is now a champion/belt holder so he should be held with a different expectation, and I fully agree with that, but unfortunately a lot of fights with top guys can't seem to be made...

The funny thing is, i'm willing to bet that if Loma did not have a title belt and had his current resume, people would be raving about the competition he has fought in so little time as a 'contender'.

I hold high hopes for the immediate future that Loma can get big fights with big opponents and let's just hope boxing politics doesn't get in the way too much, but my overall point is that we can't just change up the rules and logic for individual fighters - if we base Loma's capabilities so much on his am success, then we can't neglect that aspect for other fighters, because there have been plenty of fighters with outstanding am records who were not as fast-tracked as Loma and no-one complained there.

Discuss

Originally posted by PainfromUkraine View Post
    Why then are some people complaining about Lomachenko's level of opposition in his first fights? I'm sure a lot of you have seen posters claim that stuff that happens in the amateurs has no real bearing on the professional game and we can't use that as a sole barometer of success or talent.

So really, taking away all that amateur experience and accomplishment, he is still green as hell for a pro, and some leeway has to be given (if of course we are going by the logic that the ams don't really matter)

Although I would love Lomachenko to be fighting champions or highest level championship opposition every fight, i'd be shocked if anyone can find someone who has fought better opposition in his first six fights as a pro. I'll wait.

Of course, the argument can be that Lomachenko is now a champion/belt holder so he should be held with a different expectation, and I fully agree with that, but unfortunately a lot of fights with top guys can't seem to be made...

The funny thing is, i'm willing to bet that if Loma did not have a title belt and had his current resume, people would be raving about the competition he has fought in so little time as a 'contender'.

I hold high hopes for the immediate future that Loma can get big fights with big opponents and let's just hope boxing politics doesn't get in the way too much, but my overall point is that we can't just change up the rules and logic for individual fighters - if we base Loma's capabilities so much on his am success, then we can't neglect that aspect for other fighters, because there have been plenty of fighters with outstanding am records who were not as fast-tracked as Loma and no-one complained there.

Discuss
    These who complain of Lomachenk are idiots what fighter have you seen fight for title bouts in his first 5 bouts most American fighter fight 20 bums before they even fight a top 15 boxer. Look at Wilder he fought 32 guys who were never ranked for his first 32 bouts

Comment

He's a world champion is he not?

Comment

Originally posted by PainfromUkraine View Post

Discuss
        Look, Loma is not a prospect and has never been marketed as one or paid has one. He got a wold title shot straight off the bat. If he or his team want him to be a world title holder, he should be fighting world title caliber opponents. It's as simple as that.

Comment

I would just say of Lomachenko what I would say for any fighter. I want him to be the best he can be, and he has the tools to be a very top end fighter (already kind of is). I think he needs fights to really get his style totally suited to the pro game as some of those amateur habits are ingrained into him.

Very few people are patient now though so no one is really trying to wait for that, they see the talent and want to see him push the limit asap.

Comment

I'm a Lomachenko guy as well and the Loma that I know isn't happy with his opposition so we don't need to be either. He wants better fights but can't get them because the whole division is signed with Haymon.

There is no need to try to defend his opposition. We all know, his team knows and he himself knows that this isn't up to par for a fighter of his caliber. We all want better fights and it's up to Top Rank to find them.

Comment

he needs to face opponents who will challenge him so that he can grow as a fighter. if no rigondeaux or donaire, then i'd be content with marriaga or vetyeka being his next opponent. guys who won't just lay down and will give him something to think about. ideally i'd like him to linger at 126 lbs just long enough to clash with oscar valdez. no point moving up until he has exhausted his options in his current division

Comment

This kid is very talented. He's the only Euro I have seen whose style I like. But, if you are a champion in a division, you should be fighting other champs in your division, or at least the top guys. If you are not ready, you shouldn't be a champion. Same logic that's applied to Cotto and Canelo should also apply here. I don't care how many fights he has. He's one of the champs at featherweight. He should challenge himself.
                Last edited by BoxingIsGreat; 11-08-2015, 01:31 PM.

Comment

I agree with what you all say but really this criticism has mainly come from his last opponent choice, which I believe was just a product of circumstance after fights with Rigo and Walters fell through. Other than that his competition has been fine for the few fights he has had.

If he picks a soft touch again in his next fight again, then all the criticism can be warranted, but I believe from now on we will see fights with top quality opposition which is what Loma wants and all the fans want too.

Comment

i wouldn't mind him facing koasicha if it had been his 3rd or 4th fight of 2015. he needs to get more active next year, especially if the superfights don't immediately come off

Comment

Working...
                    X