Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Waddell+Reed's PBC investment has lost 59% of it's value.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
    Still,, point remains,,, there is little difference in matching making between premium channels and free TV Pbc.. Both have good matchmaking about 20% of the time

And the one that is giving the most fights is free... I would much prefer to pay premiums if they were giving me 10 a month as opposed to 1-2.. But now we gotta pay premiums to get 20 fights a year with a 20% chance of good matchmaking, or watch for free 50 fights with a 20% chance of being good matchmaking..
    Well no that's where you're wrong. Because HBO doesn't have the same amount of volume as PBC so their "good matchmaking %" is much higher.

If HBO produces 4 fights a month and 2 are good, then their % is 50%. If PBC produces 10 fights a month and only 2 are good, then their % is 20%.

Since HBO perceived to have much higher quality, they will have a product premium value. If Apple produces 10 different products a year and 8 are good while Sony produces 100 different products a year and only 10 are good, people are going to perceive Apple as the higher quality brand. There's no point of having free boxing if you're not interested in the matchups.

That's why the lower viewed HBO cards are still higher than many PBC cards viewership. Because not a lot of people care for it even if it's free.

Comment

• Originally posted by Raonic View Post
      Well no that's where you're wrong. Because HBO doesn't have the same amount of volume as PBC so their "good matchmaking %" is much higher.

If HBO produces 4 fights a month and 2 are good, then their % is 50%. If PBC produces 10 fights a month and only 2 are good, then their % is 20%.

Since HBO perceived to have much higher quality, they will have a product premium value. If Apple produces 10 different products a year and 8 are good while Sony produces 100 different products a year and only 10 are good, people are going to perceive Apple as the higher quality brand. There's no point of having free boxing if you're not interested in the matchups.

That's why the lower viewed HBO cards are still higher than many PBC cards viewership. Because not a lot of people care for it even if it's free.
      Your implying that hbo/sho has better matchmaking... They don't...

If hbo has 4 fights in a month, we are lucky if one is a legit big fight

Comment

Your implying that hbo/sho has better matchmaking... They don't...

If hbo has 4 fights in a month, we are lucky if one is a legit big fight
        Except they practically produce the same amount of good fights per month as PBC does with lesser dates...

Like we have Lara headlining a match against some guy for PBC coming up but we all know that's a BS fight even though 1 is a champion.

Comment

• i could tell the end was coming when they started putting all their good(and expensive)fights on showtime. now they are bringing in nobodies like silky come-farts who will fight for next to nothing.

Comment

• Yeeeeeeessssssssss, now they can move back to Showtime and show us less fights with the same people and charge us the extra money, awwwwweeeessssooooommmmeeee.

Comment

Except they practically produce the same amount of good fights per month as PBC does with lesser dates...

Like we have Lara headlining a match against some guy for PBC coming up but we all know that's a BS fight even though 1 is a champion.
              Im not trying to defend pbc's matchmaking, but realistically both have provided 4 or 5 good fights this year... One may do it with less shows, but they also charge us premium price vs more shows and same amount of good fights for free..
              Either way, neither can be called good/great matchmakers

Comment

Im not trying to defend pbc's matchmaking, but realistically both have provided 4 or 5 good fights this year... One may do it with less shows, but they also charge us premium price vs more shows and same amount of good fights for free..
                Either way, neither can be called good/great matchmakers
                But that's a part of matchmaking. If you produce more cards, I'd expect you to produce more good fights. If they both provided 4-5 matches this year so far (HBO has the inside tract to finish the year better than NBC) but PBC produced like 25-50 more cards, then people are obviously going to perceive HBO is the better product because they can match the quality of an network that has a higher quantity. That's why they are sustainable, because they aren't flooding the market and it allows people to come back to the network.

I want free boxing as much as anyone but they're not going to make money and be sustainable if they produce too many cards that no one cares about. PBC should have just stuck with 1 channel and build the brand from there. They could've produced 1 fight per week and have 1 good name in each card on that same channel. Instead, they have guys fighting on different networks, spreading out the talent and the matchups you want to see don't happen.

We could have had 2 respectable names in Charlo vs Lara (I believe they share the same trainer but just pretend they didn't for the example) if PBC was tied to only 1 network but because PBC is associated with ESPN and NBC, you pretty much have to commit 1 good name to ESPN and 1 good name to NBC (in the same week no less). Even if you didn't want to match them up now because you wanted to do a showcase bought before a unification fight between the 2, if you were with 1 network you could have at least had Lara in 1 week then Charlo in the other.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beercules View Post

Hougigo let's be stock brokers
                  LMFAO... how you tag me?

I don't know nuffin about these new features

Comment

But that's a part of matchmaking. If you produce more cards, I'd expect you to produce more good fights. If they both provided 4-5 matches this year so far (HBO has the inside tract to finish the year better than NBC) but PBC produced like 25-50 more cards, then people are obviously going to perceive HBO is the better product because they can match the quality of an network that has a higher quantity. That's why they are sustainable, because they aren't flooding the market and it allows people to come back to the network.

I want free boxing as much as anyone but they're not going to make money and be sustainable if they produce too many cards that no one cares about. PBC should have just stuck with 1 channel and build the brand from there. They could've produced 1 fight per week and have 1 good name in each card on that same channel. Instead, they have guys fighting on different networks, spreading out the talent and the matchups you want to see don't happen. We could have had 2 respectable names in Charlo vs Lara (I believe they share the same trainer but just pretend they didn't for the example) if PBC was tied to only 1 network but because PBC is associated with ESPN and NBC, you pretty much have to commit 1 good name to ESPN and 1 good name to NBC.
                    What 1 channel can support Haymon's stable, there isn't just 1. Do you think NBC is gonna move college football for boxing, stop with the one channel BS, Arum can barely put his stable on HBO, and that's the "home" of boxing, what channel can fit Haymon's stable?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pac=Duran View Post
                      https://www.reddit.com/r/Boxing/comm...or_q3_results/

This is a massive failure. I don't see how anyone can say otherwise.

Incoming: "Businesses usually lose money Blah blah blah"

Maybe PBC's whole aim was to destroy boxing as it is too politically incorrect.

But anyway, looks like there is no way in hell that they will be able to this money back.
                      Who said Al was a savvy business Man ? More like a savvy Scam-ster

Comment

Working...
                      X