Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Waddell+Reed's PBC investment has lost 59% of it's value.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pac=Duran View Post
    Paid for nothing. Provo vs Matthysse was good, Kovalev vs Pascal, Matthysse vs Postol. These are the stand out ones.

They were designed to be competitive on paper, unlike all PBC fights which are squash matches.
    So,,,

Thurman-ghost
    Degale-dirrell
    Porter-Broner
    Mares-Santa cruz
    Garcia-peterson

We're all squash matchups... Lmao... Pbc matchmaking is no worse/better than hbo and showtime

Comment

I don't live in America you bender. The quality of boxing has nose dived since PBC came along. I don't pay for PPV's anyway, but it's easier to find a stream of a PPV than to find PBC streams.

Anyway I'm glad it's almost over hahahaha
      pbc aint going no where bruh,within 2 years time it will be ahuge success and every single fighter out there will be signed to haymon

Comment

• Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
        So,,,

Thurman-ghost
        Degale-dirrell
        Porter-Broner
        Mares-Santa cruz
        Garcia-peterson

We're all squash matchups... Lmao... Pbc matchmaking is no worse/better than hbo and showtime
        5 good matchups out of how many cards they've put on in the past 8 months?

Porter has been calling out Thurman for 2yrs. Why isn't that fight happening? Surely al could make it happen if he wanted to.

Comment

It's over anyway boss, they lost hundreds of millions. No point in arguing anymore, we would literally be beating a dead horse ha
          Lmao.... Lost hundreds of millions...

I will once again put it simplest terms I can for an NSb poster..

It would be like paying your rent for 4 years, all at once.. That's what Pbc did this year... They didn't spend 200+ mil on fighters alone... TV deals ate up the majority of the money, but now they have very little costs going forward..

I'm not saying it's going to be a success or failure, but to judge a major investment after less than a year is beyond ******... Nearly every major company loses money in the first few years, because your spending like crazy trying to build an infrastructure for your product...

Say it costs you 3 million to open a McDonald's... I'm not going to make over 3 million in my first year,, not going to make anything because I'm paying all the one time fees of starting a business, like loans, land, initial inventory order, etc.. A lot of costs go into starting a business, and real rewards aren't seen till 2-3 years down the road

What haymon and Waddell and Reed are hoping for is to spend a few hundred million (which is less than 1% of W&R holdings), get boxing back on free TV and bring back the casual fan, and land a TV deal for 100 mil+ a year. And boxing is a great TV product because it hits all age demographics and all ethnic groups- whites, blacks, Asians, Latinos, etc,,, boxing is everywhere in the world and isn't just a regional thing... Only soccer has a bigger global foot print in sports.. And sports programming is the most lucrative TV product because unlike TV shows, sports is something people will watch live and not dvr or stream.. Sports fans sit thru commercials because they watch it live.. That's why the money in the nfl, NBA, mbl has exploded... It's the most valuable TV content in the world in terms of advertising revenue... If boxing could ever get its crap together, it would be alongside soccer as the biggest sports in the world

Comment

• Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
            The product has generally been pretty good, their percentage of good fight to bad fight is not spectacular but it is not abnormally bad either.

It is spread out for two reason.

1) To control most of the avenues fighters have for getting airtime, which is key in building up young fighters.

2) When it comes time to go for TV deals everyone will have had a taste, some will be fine with it going away while others will want to keep it.

That is not something that can last though because they won;t keep paying for time and they won't be able to get deals from everyone. So they need to strangle their competition as much as possible over this time, which is kind of impossible to do totally but it can have a great effect in tipping the balance long term. That is pretty much worth any price they pay but paying that price is only worth it if they are in it for the long haul. With that sort of strategy I don't think short term is on the investors minds at all and profit will probably be a long time coming at least in terms of making back all the money.

If it works right for them it will be like a snowball rolling down a hill because their strength will grow as their competition gets weaker. That balance hasn't shifted much yet but it is so early that you still can't say much about it working or not.

Worrying about profit is after all of that goes down really because the plan they seem to be running with is not a short term get rich plan it is the take over the sport long term plan. Although I sure if one of their stars caught fire and could cash in on PPV they would be happy to cash in a bit.
            Yeah exactly. I quite like the idea that it's an umbrella under which different promoters can work together and stage fights without worrying as much about logistics. In that way it's more ingenous than the UFC because you can have your own promoter, you just have to be on working terms with Haymon. If this was the way the UFC was structured, Fedor might have fought under their roof because he would have been able to maintain his promotional group and had his logo and banner up as a partner. It's just that not everyone is playing ball yet...they're not required to play ball at all, so the balance hasn't tipped yet.

It may never tip because part of this is boxing related...you have to have the eye for talent and know the formula to making better fighters as they become more popular.

once again, TR is showing they have the upper hand in this regard as we see Crawford emerging - soon to eclipse every PBC fighter around those weights. You can imagine if Verdejo didn't have hand issues how quickly he would take off as well.

but that's not their only approach, they have shown they're willing to put on fights from world fighters who nobody in America knows but people around the globe do. If they can keep putting on those fights they'll be alright even if they can't find the right super star immediately.
            Last edited by LA_2_Vegas; 10-29-2015, 10:52 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deevel916 View Post

Porter has been calling out Thurman for 2yrs. Why isn't that fight happening? Surely al could make it happen if he wanted to.
              How is that any different than hbo/sho......

The only dofference is one is free and one you have to pay for..

I see no difference in matching making.. Both have the occasional good fight, littered with tons of showcase/crap fights...

Porter been calling out thurman for 2 years!!!!!!!!
              How about Golovkin calling out serg, canelo, cotto for years.. Or Ward calling out ggg, or kovolev calling out Ward, etc.. Let's not act like hbo/sho are making the best fights all the time

Comment

• Originally posted by Eastcoast View Post

Money grab, but he's going to save boxing doe...
                Typically business-driven...
                ... He should have tried this in Sweden also...

Comment

• Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                  How is that any different than hbo/sho......

The only dofference is one is free and one you have to pay for..

I see no difference in matching making.. Both have the occasional good fight, littered with tons of showcase/crap fights...

Porter been calling out thurman for 2 years!!!!!!!!
                  How about Golovkin calling out serg, canelo, cotto for years.. Or Ward calling out ggg, or kovolev calling out Ward, etc.. Let's not act like hbo/sho are making the best fights all the time
                  But see they are trying to hype up bad fights as well, so it waters down the overall quality PBC provides

Every time HBO has a boxing card (like twice a month), a majority of it is good.

PBC provides maybe 1-2 solid cards per month but has like 10 cards per month. PBC flooded the market so much that the good fights are becoming a needle in a haystack while other networks, they limit their production.

Boxing is a niche sport. It's hard to flood the market and get people to watch because fighter fight 2-3 times per year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deevel916 View Post

5 good matchups?

Thurman-Guerrero
                    Garcia-Peterson
                    Lee-Quillin
                    Dirrell-Jack
                    Figueroa-Burns
                    Kameda-McDonnell I
                    Dirrell-DeGale
                    Khan-Algieri
                    Broner-Porter
                    Huck-Glowacki
                    Santa Cruz-Mares
                    Ruiz-Ceja
                    McDonnell-Kameda II
                    Fonfara-Cleverly

It seems like instead of having Charlo-Campfort, you'd rather have no boxing at all. That's strange. Since March 7, PBC has put on 35 cards. They have 7 more already on the schedule before the year is done, not even counting the SHO cards. You think you're going to get Santa Cruz-Mares 50x a year with PBC? C'mon son!

Comment

• Originally posted by Raonic View Post
                      But see they are trying to hype up bad fights as well, so it waters down the overall quality PBC provides

Every time HBO has a boxing card (like twice a month), a majority of it is good.

PBC provides maybe 1-2 solid cards per month but has like 10 cards per month.
                      Still,, point remains,,, there is little difference in matching making between premium channels and free TV Pbc.. Both have good matchmaking about 20% of the time

And the one that is giving the most fights is free... I would much prefer to pay premiums if they were giving me 10 a month as opposed to 1-2.. But now we gotta pay premiums to get 20 fights a year with a 20% chance of good matchmaking, or watch for free 50 fights with a 20% chance of being good matchmaking..

Comment

Working...
                      X