Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[POLL] Who Has Faced The Softest Competition Overall?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raonic View Post
    Except that's not really what you're doing here.

I already answered GGG. If you had left it simply at that, there no issues.

What you're trying to do is you're trying to tie it in with P4P rankings when the criteria for P4P rankings and criteria for best/worse resume are 2 different things.

It's possible for someone with a better resume to be ranked lower in the P4P rankings but for some reason, it seems you can't understand that.

Thank you for your input.

Comment

Except he actually just said that your recent activity doesn't matter if it means you have the resume to back it up.
      He's obviously not saying fighters who lost should be ranked p4p higher than the guys who beat them, and there are a lot of guys who would be ranked higher than the dudes who beat Roy Jones Jr. for example.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
        Thank you for your input.
        No problem man.

Glad I could make you understand that even though GGG has a weaker resume, he's still much higher than Ward is on the P4P list.

Comment

Originally posted by The Ninth Layer View Post
          He's obviously not saying fighters who lost should be ranked p4p higher than the guys who beat them, and there are a lot of guys who would be ranked higher than the dudes who beat Roy Jones Jr. for example.
          Well I can't know that.

On top of him being a terrible poster, he actually said himself that career resume drives your P4P rankings and as far as I checked, RJJ, Manny and Hopkins with a loss still has a better resume than everyone in boxing.

Comment

No problem man.

Glad I could make you understand that even though GGG has a weaker resume, he's still much higher than Ward is on the P4P list.
            Maybe on yours, not mine. I don't rank people P4P just for being "active". If you haven't yet performed against a top class fighter then how do I know you are P4P level material?

Golovkin passes "the eye" test....sort of....I guess. We don't really know. How much can you tell from bashing up no hopers? Too many questions and too many holes in his resume.

Comment

I am a big Golovkin fan but he has faced the lesser competition. With Ward beating the like of Abraham and Froch I wonder if the guys that voted for him have another agenda?

Comment

Maybe on yours, not mine. I don't rank people P4P just for being "active". If you haven't yet performed against a top class fighter then how do I know your P4P level material?

Golovkin passes "the eye" test....sort of....I guess. We don't really know. How much can you tell from bashing up no hopers? Too many questions and too many holes in his resume.
                Lol what exactly do you think the point the other poster was trying to make?

What he said if you decided to read, was that while Ward is talented, he's done nothing recently to actually prove he's still that P4P level fighter (since he's faced, like you said, no hopers).

You're taking something Ward did 3-4 years ago and giving him credit for it now despite not doing anything to prove it since then.

Comment

Well I can't know that.

On top of him being a terrible poster, he actually said himself that career resume drives your P4P rankings and as far as I checked, RJJ, Manny and Hopkins with a loss still has a better resume than everyone in boxing.
                  Dirk's not talking about fighters with losses, though. He's talking about unbeaten guys. You probably agree with him that Ward's win over Froch at the cusp of the Super Six is a better win than anything Golovkin has done and it stacks up well against Kovalev beating an old Hopkins.

Nobody has come close to beating Ward and of all three fighters he's the only one that can claim to have been a lineal champion of his division. Cotto is the lineal champ at middleweight and Stevenson is the lineal champ at light heavy. That right there is a huge accomplishment that Ward has and the other two don't.

Ward hasn't done anything to "extend his lead" so to speak but the fact is he still has the greater set of accomplishments among them and he's yet to take an embarrassing loss that knocks him out of p4p.

The real question here is what goes into peoples' p4p rankings to begin with? I think most people feel it's a mix of record, recent accomplishment and talent. Ward edges the other two on talent, and definitely has the better career accomplishments. I still think he should be ranked higher than GGG/Kovalev and I think very highly of those two fighters, but they just haven't done anything yet to match Ward's accomplishments at SMW.

Comment

Of course they have better career resumes and if this thread was about who should go into the Hall of Fame first, you might sound like less of a spastic.

What I'm talking about is 3 undefeated fighters, all around the same age, all still in their prime and I'm asking who's faced the softest competition.

Simple and fair question.
                    Ward has faced the weakest competition by far.

Froch, solid but nothing spectacular
                    Kessler, solid but nothing spectacular
                    undersized Abraham
                    drained Dawson
                    nobody else of note (Bika?, Allan Green, lol)

Comment

Originally posted by The Ninth Layer View Post
                      Dirk's not talking about fighters with losses, though. He's talking about unbeaten guys. You probably agree with him that Ward's win over Froch at the cusp of the Super Six is a better win than anything Golovkin has done and it stacks up well against Kovalev beating an old Hopkins.

Nobody has come close to beating Ward and of all three fighters he's the only one that can claim to have been a lineal champion of his division. Cotto is the lineal champ at middleweight and Stevenson is the lineal champ at light heavy. That right there is a huge accomplishment that Ward has and the other two don't.

Ward hasn't done anything to "extend his lead" so to speak but the fact is he still has the greater set of accomplishments among them and he's yet to take an embarrassing loss that knocks him out of p4p.

The real question here is what goes into peoples' p4p rankings to begin with? I think most people feel it's a mix of record, recent accomplishment and talent. Ward edges the other two on talent, and definitely has the better career accomplishments. I still think he should be ranked higher than GGG/Kovalev and I think very highly of those two fighters, but they just haven't done anything yet to match Ward's accomplishments at SMW.
                      That's the exact problem.

I have no indication at all on whether or not Ward is that same Super 6 fighter embarrassing people (I think he is but he's still done nothing about it). We can't keep giving him a rank based on what he did 5 years ago when he's done nothing since to prove he's the same fighter.

For all we know, maybe the only reason Ward looks good now is because he's facing bums (which is the same reason people say GGG looks good, because of his competition).

Comment

Working...
                      X