No announcement yet.

Prime Sergio Martinez vs GGG

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by j0zef View Post
    Although not exactly in his prime (he was 36 or 37), Martinez and Golovkin share the same opponent in Martin Murray.
    Murray knocked Martinez down, but lost a semi-controversial UD, with judges scoring the fight 115-112.
    Although it took 11 rounds, Murray lost by TKO vs Golovkin. However what is more telling is that even without the TKO, Murray did not win a SINGLE round against Gennady.

I think that's the part that many people miss about Golovkin - he's barely lost a round ever since he turned pro. Given his olympic & amateur background, he's not an easy guy to outbox. And given that he hasn't even hit the canvas once, it's fair to say that he's not easy to KO either.

Based on those factors, I give Golovkin the edge, even against prime Martinez.
    That's correct, but Sergio had already had surgery in that knee after the Chavez jr fight/before the Murray fight... he wasn't near the same guy that fought Pavlik and Williams. So sad the way he destroyed his knee in that chavez fight. He was never the same after that.

Comment

Martinez boxes circles around his ass wins easy 10-2. There's a reason giggi was scared ****less to fight martinez

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
        GGG would destroy him with ease. This is a guy that lost to Williams and drew with Cintron. GGG eats guys like Williams, Citron and Martinez for breakfast. GGG by one sided KO.
        Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
        Are you serious?? did you watch that fight? he knocked him out..and somehow got it reversed
        Right

Martinez knocked him out, outboxed him and was massively ripped off by the judges. Even without the knockout win he should have been awarded, he still should have won the decision.

And, to be fair, Martinez took the first Williams fight on short notice and moved up for it at a time when Williams was considered a pretty dangerous fighter.

That said, I'd still pick GGG. Prime Sergio was mostly a JMW, it's just that his biggest fights came near the end of, and past, his prime up at 160. GGG is a massive puncher and would likely get to Sergio eventually.

Comment

Sergio is one my favorite fighters of all time along with Roy Jones because of how effective they were able to box with such unorthodox styles. That being said, GGG knocks him out in the 11-12. Sergio has boxing skills too and will find ways to keep GGG off of him. Sergio survives solely on his ability to use the whole ring. But GGG is much too skilled in cutting off the ring and the shots will just overwhelm Maravilla.

Comment

I think Martinez would have huge problems with GGG's jab, and after 3-4 rounds the right hands would start to land and wear him out in a couple of rounds. Sergio was very unconventional and often dropped his hands, bad idea against Golovkin, at some point something big would have landed and Sergio would go down and/or out. GGG KO/TKO in 7-8 rounds.

Comment

Actually, in the Proksa post-fight interview, Golovkin called out the Martinez/Chavez Jr. winner... Bad luck, because Martinez emerged physically ruined from that fight.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS View Post
                Golovkin murders him. Knockout around 8-9.

Sergio is the reason for all this middleweight BS in the first place, tried to cherry pick Cotto only for it to backfire.
                Sergio wasn't cherry picking. He was cashing out.

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
                  Actually, in the Proksa post-fight interview, Golovkin called out the Martinez/Chavez Jr. winner... Bad luck, because Martinez emerged physically ruined from that fight.
                  That 12th round with Chavez is when Maravillas run ended. Being hit like that by a guy weighing a good 20 pounds over you damaged the knees to the point of no return.

Comment

Originally posted by jcj0427 View Post
                    That 12th round with Chavez is when Maravillas run ended. Being hit like that by a guy weighing a good 20 pounds over you damaged the knees to the point of no return.
                    ... Extremely charismatic guy -- a true Argentino...

Comment

I was a big fan of Sergio but I think GGG kills him. He always had a shaky chin, getting dropped by some of the same guys GGG has destroyed handily. His hands down style gets him wrecked IMO...I think GGG would beat everyone Sergio beat in his career and probably easier at that. Sergio didn't want to fight GGG a few years back either. Dibella knew the deal.

Comment

Working...
                      X