Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime Sergio Martinez vs GGG

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am a big Maravilla fan, but when was he in his prime? Only for 2 years when he fought Pavlik and Paul Williams for the 2nd time? Shortly after he really struggled with Macklin, after 9/10 rounds that fight was even, alot of people even had Macklin winning the fight until then.

I dont see any version of Sergio making it past 10 rounds vs GGG.

Comment

I have seen what Sergio was able to do in his prime, againts Paul Williams and Pavlik. But I have yet to see GGG againts someone even close to that quality of an opponenet. So as it stands..I would pic Sergio to win.

Comment

Originally posted by onetwopunch View Post
        I have seen what Sergio was able to do in his prime, againts Paul Williams and Pavlik. But I have yet to see GGG againts someone even close to that quality of an opponenet. So as it stands..I would pic Sergio to win.
        Although not exactly in his prime (he was 36 or 37), Martinez and Golovkin share the same opponent in Martin Murray.
        Murray knocked Martinez down, but lost a semi-controversial UD, with judges scoring the fight 115-112.
        Although it took 11 rounds, Murray lost by TKO vs Golovkin. However what is more telling is that even without the TKO, Murray did not win a SINGLE round against Gennady.

I think that's the part that many people miss about Golovkin - he's barely lost a round ever since he turned pro. Given his olympic & amateur background, he's not an easy guy to outbox. And given that he hasn't even hit the canvas once, it's fair to say that he's not easy to KO either.

Based on those factors, I give Golovkin the edge, even against prime Martinez.

Comment

Originally posted by j0zef View Post
          Although not exactly in his prime (he was 36 or 37), Martinez and Golovkin share the same opponent in Martin Murray.
          Murray knocked Martinez down, but lost a semi-controversial UD, with judges scoring the fight 115-112.
          Although it took 11 rounds, Murray lost by TKO vs Golovkin. However what is more telling is that even without the TKO, Murray did not win a SINGLE round against Gennady.

I think that's the part that many people miss about Golovkin - he's barely lost a round ever since he turned pro. Given his olympic & amateur background, he's not an easy guy to outbox. And given that he hasn't even hit the canvas once, it's fair to say that he's not easy to KO either.

Based on those factors, I give Golovkin the edge, even against prime Martinez.
          - Sergio was a late bloomer, early in his carreer he lost to Margaritto and lost a decision to Cintron. He peaked around the time he KO'ed Williams. But age eventually caught up with him, as you can see in the Murray fight. Sergio picked up boxing later in life. But using Murray as a measuring stick is not a good analogy. GGG still hasnt fought anyone good, thats my point so its hard to see how good he really is.

Comment

I chavez jr. Showed us how in last round of their fight.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
              GGG would destroy him with ease. This is a guy that lost to Williams and drew with Cintron. GGG eats guys like Williams, Citron and Martinez for breakfast. GGG by one sided KO.
              LOL. You might actually want to watch that fight and not Boxrec it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jubei View Post
                I am a big Maravilla fan, but when was he in his prime? Only for 2 years when he fought Pavlik and Paul Williams for the 2nd time? Shortly after he really struggled with Macklin, after 9/10 rounds that fight was even, alot of people even had Macklin winning the fight until then.

I dont see any version of Sergio making it past 10 rounds vs GGG.
                The Macklin version that Sergio fought was better than the 2013-2014 Macklin... but still the "KD" that Macklin scored over Sergio was BS. He put his foot and made Sergio fall, it wasn't a real KD, you should take a look in youtube.

Comment

Originally posted by jcj0427 View Post
                  LOL. You might actually want to watch that fight and not Boxrec it.
                  I think he exposed himself by stating that, lol. Even the Paul Williams fight many people thought was a robbery, it was a close split decision.

Comment

Originally posted by onetwopunch View Post
                    - Sergio was a late bloomer, early in his carreer he lost to Margaritto and lost a decision to Cintron. He peaked around the time he KO'ed Williams. But age eventually caught up with him, as you can see in the Murray fight. Sergio picked up boxing later in life. But using Murray as a measuring stick is not a good analogy. GGG still hasnt fought anyone good, thats my point so its hard to see how good he really is.
                    What? no, he lost a split decision against Williams. And he beat Cintron... he KTFO of cintron... but the ref called it a headbutt after having finished the fight lol. What a robbery.

Comment

Golovkin murders him. Knockout around 8-9.

Sergio is the reason for all this middleweight BS in the first place, tried to cherry pick Cotto only for it to backfire.

Comment

Working...
                      X